Anyone buying in Perth ??

Ausprop - short answer is no. I have had a very steep learning curve over the last 12 months getting properly into residential property. Not sure I am ready to tackle commercial property yet.

I just love the beach at Rockingham, perfect for Sunday brekky and a great beach for the kids. The sister in law calls it "Armadale by the sea". She just doesn't get it.

I am on the look out for one of the old houses to knock over in a few years and put a few tastful units on, just a street or two from the beach.

Living & owning 2 properties in Mandurah, I can attest to the good living here and beautiful beaches, agree about the wind though. I drive to Perth each day for work as the family won't budge due to the lifestyle, schools etc.

That said, I am finding difficult to make / find good opportunities for investment in Mandurah at present, and I am currently looking here and elsewhere.
Mandurah has always had low rents in comparison to other comparable areas and this continues to be so. This makes it hard to find properties that will be not too negative cash flow even with a number of near new properties currently at or below replacement cost. Further, with 15% of the current stock on the market in the Dawesville area, capital gains are not likely to be significant in the next few years.

I believe in the long term prospects for Mandurah so am looking at alternative strategies such as buy & reno to get back into the home market. In the mean time have just signed a contract for a property in Adelaide and will continue to investigate options in Perth & Melbourne.

regards
Mike

We bought a new 3 bed townhouse in Mandurah 3 years ago, the rent started out at $220 per week but we have been steadily increasing, currently at $290 but the rental manager wants to put it up to $320 when the current tenant moves out so maybe rents are getting better. I loved Mandurah too when we visited, you live in a lovely place.

Back