Anyone Installed Solar on an IP or Commercial Property??

Just wondering how you deal with the electricity bill or credit with the tenants?

I have been told that you can put a variation in the lease relating to this and if the tenant signs it then it is legally binding.

Does anyone have experience with this? Would be interested to hear. Thankyou.

we're doing a few projects whereby the clients themselves are requesting solar panels for tenants as part of a larger, build and hold strategy.

the 'kickback' they get in electricity bills means the owner can charge slightly higher rent, the solar panels themselves have a PE of about 5 on the rent increase without taking into account further rent increases as the tenant gets the bill/credit.

that said, if you've got a 3kW system on a 2bed unit with LED lights and a gas stove, i'd want the kickback myself. But a 1.5kW system on a 3bedder? just charge slightly higher rent.

hope that helps.

We have a 1.5kw solar system on our PPOR that we moved out of last year to rent. The deal with the tenants was that we would increase the rent a touch but they get the benefit of the savings.
Our bills went from $600ish a year to $80 credit, so they may get a similar return.
We didn't plan on renting the place but it kinda just went that way :)

Thanks Aaron and Comper100, does not sound like there are any major laws around this situation.

I was thinking that if I installed solar on an IP I would like the fed in electricity to be paid to me. The service availability charge of 80 cents a day could be given to the tenant. This way landlord and tenant are benefiting and the landlord then knows exactly what he is giving to the tenant.

Any further thoughts????

Back