ANyone Sold Property Without An Agent?

Hi,

I have a few investment properties and 3 of them are blocks of land so I am thinking of just selling them myself.

Anyone done this?

any tips?

found a few websites that offer this service...

http:www.NoAgentsHere.com.au

and this one...

http:www.noagentproperty.com.au

anyone used these before?

first one looks good as they are cheap and get on real estate dot com

cheers

I just have mine on gumtree.

I've had dozens and dozens of queries but only two really interested people so far.

Its going to cost me $1500 in bank break fees and conveyancer costs to sell it. If it takes another year to sell, that drops to $800 (no break fees).

Ive just listed my property for sale on the Gold Coast with an agent. Was in 2 minds about doing it myself, I think I could have but time is a little short too.

Do you think that people expect it cheaper when its not through an agent? Obviously you have to pay agent fees but provided its a good agent, isnt the idea that are unique in the marketing and bargaining side of things. Remember im talking about a GOOD agent, there are many cowboys/girls out there.

Its a tough one !!

Hi Mick

Yes I've sold privately a few times now and would recommend you forgetting the private sale sites as 90%+ of consumers only use the big sites realestate.com and domain.com anyway. Though I notice you're in Melb and realestateview is big down there- perhaps this company can assist as well. Total cost to us with the most recent private sale was around $850 and that included unlimited advertising time on both major sites (until sold) and a huge sign. Money well spent, in my opinion. Try www.buymyplace.com.au
Best of luck :)

Have also sold ourself, at the time it only cost us $250 to advertise on domain(4 years ago) had about 20 people come through in the space of 2 months and sold for just under($5k) the asking price which had buffer anyway.

It is a little bit of work organising and running inspections yourself and doing the negotiations, organising relevant contracts and legal docs, but definitely worth it over paying an agent 2-3% of your hard earned profit

but definitely worth it over paying an agent 2-3% of your hard earned profit
More like pay 5-6% of your sale price and 120% of your profit.

Depends heavily on your area and how good your agent is. Our local ones are not good, and charge a fortune.

More like pay 5-6% of your sale price and 120% of your profit.

Depends heavily on your area and how good your agent is. Our local ones are not good, and charge a fortune.

Yeah I've never sold through an agent before so not too sure of thier fees when I did sell myself I enquired and it was around 2-3% but that was 4 years ago.

My sister in law enquired recently agent estimated thier property to sell for $450K(I was dubious on that for starters) then wanted a $10K fixed fee, which is around 2.2% if it sells for $450K but what if it sells for less. Never heard of fixed fees and advised her to negotiate percentage or look else where

3 of them are blocks of land so I am thinking of just selling them myself.

Approach a couple of builders/ sales reps to sell land. they will put it together as a house and land package and advertise it widely (RE.com, local papers, in their display homes etc) for free.

They are always looking for land, as they cant sell their new homes without it.

ps, I work for a volume builder if you think that makes a diference to my posts.

Yeah I've never sold through an agent before so not too sure of thier fees when I did sell myself I enquired and it was around 2-3% but that was 4 years ago.
When I had mine listed last year the fee was $6000 odd and the listing price was $85,000. I got him down to $4500 and still considered that high. This is the agent that only takes photos of the sheds and not the inside of the house.

Yeah I sold privately, was easier than I thought and I got my price. All I had was a for sale sign (custom made local signage shop) and advertised in the newspaper. The buyer ended up being someone who drove past and saw the for sale sign. Just got my lawyer to do the conveyancing and he negotiated the contract for me. Too easy...

Unfortunately internet advertising is limited to Domain as Propertunity said, and FSBO owner sites are weak. The amount you spend for a FSBO listing compared to website visitors just aint worth it.

When I had mine listed last year the fee was $6000 odd and the listing price was $85,000. I got him down to $4500 and still considered that high. This is the agent that only takes photos of the sheds and not the inside of the house.

So you beat his commission down and then get shirty when he's done a crappy job???

Hi,

I have a few investment properties and 3 of them are blocks of land so I am thinking of just selling them myself.

Anyone done this?

any tips?

found a few websites that offer this service...

http:www.NoAgentsHere.com.au

and this one...

http:www.noagentproperty.com.au

anyone used these before?

first one looks good as they are cheap and get on real estate dot com

cheers
Hi Mickstar,

Your sure can do this yourself, but there are number of things you need to be aware of and think about before going at it yourself.

1. Make sure your prepared before you begin.

a. get all the legal documents ready for each of your properties
b. make sure you know the value of each of your properties, including the value of your land. You can do this yourself, but will take alot of your time, comparing properties that are similar to yours, or you can hire an independent valuer, that can show you properties that were similar to yours that have sold.

Getting the price wrong will either make your property stagnate for a long time, or be purchased at a bargain price. You need to get the best possible price in the shortest period of time.

c. Can you improve the properties. ie painting, cleaning up etc. This will make a whole lot of difference

2. Know what you want to get out of the deal

When buyers will be looking at your property, they will no doubt negotiate with you. The big ones are price and settlement date.

Know before hand when you would like to settle and your absolute longest settlement date. This goes the same for price, know the absolute minimum reserve price, and this of course should be based on the market value of your properties.

3. On Marketing.

The more people know about your property the better.

Use the big sites if you can get in. I know you can list in domain.com.au for a few hundred dollars. Also list on other property portals, like gumtree, that's free, why not list there as well.

If people visit the site, then your property should be listed there as well.

The other point is also take a few lines in the major newspapers, it is a little more expensive but you'll be surprised. People do read the Saturday newspapers still. Also put a link in the paper to refer to your listing in the internet for more information.

4. Listing your property

Write as much about your property as you can, and utilise to the as much photos as you can. The more information you can give out, the easier it will be to sell your property.

Show prospective buyers why is it worth that much money!

5. Always refer to your solicitor and/or accountant if in doubt

If you have any questions, or unsure of anything always ask your solicitor or accountant. Don't assume its a silly question or it will be alright...

6. Bonus Tip

As a bonus, if your property is well taken care of, and you know its structurally sound, why not hire an independent building inspector. Sure it will cost you a few hundred dollars, but imagine showing every one that enquires that, the property is sound, and here is an independent building report.

The buyers will love it, and they will have one less hesitation about your property. Again one step closer to a sale...

In any case, anyone can sell their property themselves. But it will take a lot more work from you, than using an agent.

- Answering phone calls
- open inspections
- negotiations etc...

Above are just some of the main points to think about, there are of course alot more...

Good Luck, whatever decision you make!

So you beat his commission down and then get shirty when he's done a crappy job???
He didn't exactly *do* anything. I provided the photos (I wanted photos of the interior of the house not the shed), drew up a floor plan (never did get him to put it on the internet), wrote the copy (didn't want spelling errors), and even helped put the for sale sign up.

That agent does a crappy job for *everyone*, definitely not worth the money. I don't think he's changed his commission structure since $10,000 was the average house price and $85,000 was an absolute top end mansion. I'm not sure I want to know how much he charges to sell a $400,000 house.

a. get all the legal documents ready for each of your properties
b. make sure you know the value of each of your properties
Heh, I didn't really do these. I figured it would take so long to sell privately that I could wait until I actually got an offer to do the contract. And as to value? I'm sure I *could* have sold it for $150k or something ridiculous if I waited long enough but ... there's a 7br house across the road that has been for sale for about 6 years, with the asking price slowly dropping from over $200k down to about $130k now I think. It probably would have sold eventually with the agent but I have no idea what price it would have gone for, and he would have advised me to keep the house vacant (virtually noone wants a rented house so you rule out 90% of your market) so I would have lost a fortune in rental income and vandalism if the house was vacant.

I'd just like it gone so we don't wind up with a vast collection of ex-PPoR's.

Hello mickstar,

I have sold privately, and it was pretty easy, although I sold too early, as I found out later :(

Isnt that always the case :p

Its not like the agent is going to tell you "Don't sell now, the market is going up" they always want more properties for sale on their books.

Hi Nek,

as I mentioned, I didn't use an agent, but still managed to sell too early all by myself. Of course, it seemed a great price back then, until I found out that half a year later two units in the block that were much, much worse than mine, sold for a higher price.

Back