anyone solved a very dry frizzy straw hair problem?

Before I had kids, I had long, straight hair. After I had kids I got it cut fairly short, and had short straight hair.
Then a couple of years ago, I decided to grow it long again...... and its curly... very bizarre. So, I went from getting perms to buying a hair straightener. We are never happy with what we have!
So, now I have to deal with frizzy hair, and this is what I have found.

*Pantene is an absolute disaster. as others have said, it coats the hair, and will eventually make it more frizzy than before.
*also watch out for mousses and hair sprays etc. I used a different mousse for a week or so, a few weeks ago, and my hair was like straw
*use salon shampoos and conditioners. The upfront cost is higher, but I find they last for a lot longer, and really help with keeping my hair under control. Buy ones specifically for controlling frizz.
*when blow drying your hair, use the nozzle on the end of the blow dryer to concentrate the air in one spot.. can't remember what its called, but it makes a big difference to frizziness.
*cut down the number of washes. I used to wash my hair every day, and now I wash 2x week. (but I find it takes much longer to look after curly hair than it did to manage straight hair)
* After blow drying, use a serum to tone down your hair. I use the Redken one. You only need a tiny little bit.
* minimise the amount of blow drying/ straightening etc.
* use a good brush, designed for frizzy hair.

So, it was definitely much easier to manage straight hair!! but my hair is nearly always under control now, and looks healthy. very few split ends, even though I only get it cut 3 times a year.

Hope that helps,
Pen

Forget all the "for shiny, glowing, radiant hair use X" hype. The simplest, cheapest and most effective treatment for frizzy hair, is BABY OIL. Squirt a few drops into the palm of your hand and rub (your fingers) through your (now make note here: WET) hair thoroughly coating the ends, and leave to dry. Do not blow dry, but feel free to brush the hair.

Baby Oil will help rid you of the fuzzies; but it may take a few goes until you get the amount just right for you.

A hairdresser friend told me once, dry damaged hair just needs to be replinished of the nourishment stripped by excessive use of hair dyes/colorants, blow drying, humidity in the air etc. Solution: it's simple really; just put back some of the moisture (ie. the good oils) back into your dry/damaged locks, and eventually the frizzies will be nothing more than a bad memory!! :D

See you in the next glowing hair ad!!! ;)

I wonder if olive oil would do the same job. I don't like the thought of baby oil in my hair, but I do use an oil from the hairdresser, which costs a small fortune (like most salon products). I'll bet it is baby oil in a fancy bottle :rolleyes:.

I wonder if olive oil would do the same job. I don't like the thought of baby oil in my hair, but I do use an oil from the hairdresser, which costs a small fortune (like most salon products). I'll bet it is baby oil in a fancy bottle :rolleyes:.
Shhhhhh.......don't say that too loud, the wanna-be Vidal Sasson's out there may hear you!!! :p

Yes, olive oil will do the same. It may not necessarily be cheaper, guess it depends on if it's Virgin OO, and you MAY end up smelling like a salad, but hey, at least you'll have beautifully shiny, healthy-looking hair!!! :D;)

at $6/litre for decent import EVO oil, it can't be more expensive than a salon product surely

use boutique local ones at up to $15 for 1/2 a litre, and I think you'd still dfind it cheaper

you need to deep condition your hair very often like 2 to 3 times a week and use an anti frizz serum. I like the V05 hot oils, leave it in for 20 mins.

i think the best way is digital straightening, your hair instantly becomes smooth, shiny and sleek. No more straightening irons and it last for ages until the roots grow back...my friend's one last about 8mths. It's about $80 to get it done in Asia but I think $200 in Oz from asian salons.
The process takes 4 hours but it's worth it.

A little apricot oil, avocado oil or similar. Buy from the Health Food Store. For curly hair can use it as a leave in product. Or put a small amount in and wash out.

Lots of tips here :D Don't we all love to talk about our locks?

frizzy dry staw hair solutions

thanks i appreciate all of that

wondering where you get a few of the products from I might do some pms.

well i have naturally curley hair and my family hate it curly so i've been straightening it and maybe thats been making it worse and worse. i find so far putting something in after washing and conditioning helps but ready to try various things.

Penny what do you mean about a special brush for preventing frizz.

thanks also for discussion more natural oils.

thanks

francine.

I have totally straight hair and always wanted curls! Until I saw how much a GHD straightener costs and that every gal wants one! Now I love my straight hair!

I have been cutting back on my diet with low fat/low carb meals. And now my hair is dry; that, and I am now blow drying it for around 4 minutes twice a week seems to have caused it. So I am into Omega3 oil capsules to see if that helps the problem.

A GHD is brilliant for curls and straightening. When I had long hair, it took me less than 10 mins to straighten or to get the soft waves look. I only curl from about shoulder length and left the top straight. It's so pretty. It's so easy, you just twist it then pull it downwards straighta nd you have luscious curls. There are diff techniques for diff kind of curls.I have natural straight hair anyway and sometimes I just prfer my natural look to the completely dead straight look.

My hair is thick so takes forever to blow dry it straight. I used to just half blow dry it (5mins) and let it dry naturally. Then it takes about 10 mins to properly style it with the GHD. If I used rollers, blow dry style my hair etc it would take over an hour.

GHD is worth every cent. Can't wait to grow my hair long again. But pg and birth really slows down hair re-growth.

frizzy hair.

i have a ghd. didnt know about using it for soft curls. It takes me a good half hour to do my long thick hair.

i actually found it cheaper to buy a ghd online from a salong in queensland than anywhere else. was delivered to my door and cheaper than shops here.

francine.

Francine - 1/2 hr is quite long..maybe you need to thin it out and layer it a bit. My hair gets heavy quickly, I need a trim quite often. Thank goodness it's getting cooler now. I have bob hair atm and it's still feeling heavy.

I read somewhere that it's good to change shampoo brand often. I buy all sorts of brand and use diff brand each time one's finish.

Hi Tracey. The list of scary chemicals in that shampoo link you gave is the reason I changed a few years ago to Natural Instinct products. I actually also swap with a natural product from my salon but no way would I ever actually put that stuff on my hair again. The skin is the largest organ of the body and absorbs those chemicals (which I am sure that everybody knows anyway).

I also have stopped using moisturiser with chemicals in it and use a combination of Natural Instinct and Jurlique. I am now much more fussy about when I use sunscreen as well, and use the Natural Envy mineral sunscreen.

No wonder some of us get dermatitis and irritations. Those lists of products are really just a concern, all in the name of beauty.

frizzy hair

yes do need to thin it out its much too thick and that would help me alot that it wouldnt take so long with the ghd hence my other post about cheap versus costly haircuts. thanks for the reminder i should get onto this. i think its a year since i last had it cut or thinned or styled.

francine.

I also have stopped using moisturiser with chemicals in it
I bet you haven't! I bet it's probably full of dihydrogen monoxide; I couldn't believe how pervasive that stuff is, even in natural products! It's terrifying.

:rolleyes: :D

C'mon, wylie, I know you're smarter than that, and you'd be scathing of anybody who had the same broad-brush reaction to "debt" or "real estate agent" as you seem to have to "chemicals". What's with all the fear of the word "chemicals"? Chemicals are substances produced by chemical reactions. Every living thing is the result of billions of chemical reactions. The chemical reaction of photosynthesis is what generates the oxygen in forests. Respiration is the sum of chemical reactions that allow us to breathe that oxygen.

Lots of people will probably say "she didn't mean that, she meant artificial chemicals". Well, since when is natural inherently better for us than artificial? Arsenic, uranium, mercury and lead are all naturally occurring, but that doesn't mean I'd put them on my face. Whereas there are plenty of artificial but well-tested and inert chemicals that I'd be happy to put on my face.

People somehow think, for example, that if they're depressed, taking St John's Wort herbal tablets is better than taking an antidepressant because it's "natural". Well, I have to heartily disagree. With St John's Wort, you're taking a weak dose of the active ingredient, and combining it with a plethora of other chemicals (yes!) that you don't need - the millions of other substances that are naturally part of the St John's Wort plant. The antidepressant is a purified form of active substance. How can it be better to take an uncontrolled soup of chemicals, than a therapeutically controlled dose of the component that you know has the effect?

Somebody's going to say "but they occur naturally, not in a test tube or vat". So what? It doesn't change what the product is. Is a child produced by IVF somehow less human than the rest of us, because their fertilisation happened outside the body? Surely we've grown past that kind of superstition.

What about cooking? Wouldn't it be more natural to eat only raw foods, than to mix them together and apply heat to cook? (Yes, I know some raw food advocates do just that. Good luck to them, but I'm going to take advantage of recent technological developments such as the discovery of fire and manufacture of tools. ;))

And don't even START me on "organic"! Really, don't - you'll wish you hadn't. :p

Boy, my pet peeve first thing in the morning... LOL :D

ICI has announced the discovery of a new fire fighting agent known as WATER (Wonderful And Total Extinguishing Resource). It is particularly suitable for dealing with fires in buildings, timber yards and warehouses, and is fairly cheap to produce. It is intended that quantities of about a million gallons should be stored in open pools or reservoirs near urban areas and installations of high risk.

WATER is already encountering strong opposition from safety and environmental groups. Professor Connie Barrinner has pointed out that if anyone immersed their head in a bucket of WATER, it would prove fatal in as little as three minutes. Each of ICI's proposed reservoirs will contain enough WATER to fill half a million two-gallon buckets. Each bucketful could be used a hundred times, so there is enough WATER in one reservoir to kill the entire population of the UK.

Did we know, asked a Fire Brigades spokesman, what would happen to this new medium when it was exposed to intense heat? It had been reported that WATER was a constituent of beer; did this mean that fireman would be intoxicated by the fumes?

The Friends of the Earth said they had obtained a sample of WATER and found that it made clothes shrink. If it did this to cotton, what would it do to men?

In the House of Commons, the Home Secretary was asked if he would prohibit the manufacture and storage of this new lethal material. A full investigation was needed, he replied, and the Major Hazards Group would be asked to report

Whoa!!!! Tracey.

I am simply stating that Sodium Lauryl Sulphate is a proven carcinogen. And the ones I use don't have dihydrogen monoxide in them. I checked. We used to slather paraben on our skin with gay abandon :eek:. I will not use chemical concoctions that have these products in them on my hair any more. Facial moisturisers are full of other chemicals that I chose not to put on my skin any more.

Mad hatters were mad because they didn't understand the dangerous stuff they were using. Leadlighters similarly didn't understand what they were playing with. Don't start me on asbestos. Many chemicals are absorbed through the skin or the lungs, and either way it'll kill you.

I have dermatitis on one hand which is a fantastic indicator of what bothers my skin. My litmus test hand, if you will.

You can put whatever you want on your skin. It is a personal choice. I chose chemical free (or at least as free as is available without boiling up my own concoction :p).

I am not a "broad brush" person (at least I don't think so) but I do believe we should all have a good look at what we put on and in our bodies and make more informed choices. I also realise that even "natural" chemicals can kill you.

I am not some frenzied, hairy armpitted, tree hugging type, but just trying to use less chemicals. My father almost died from dermatitis that started on his hands a few years ago. He had no history of skin problems until his 60's. It was quite eye opening. He had red streaks running up his arms. Doctors were being called in to see him as a "staff training" exercise.

Maybe have the first coffee before you post :).

Back