anyone solved a very dry frizzy straw hair problem?

No, it's not.
http://www.cancerwa.asn.au/resources/0801_toothpaste_factsheet.pdf
http://www.snopes.com/toxins/shampoo.htm
And dozens of others...

Okay, maybe it doesn't cause cancer (but I am still not convinced reading that site) but reading the problems it can cause is enough for me to be very happy I am not using it in any products I use.

You are joking, aren't you? :eek:

I don't know why you would think I am joking. There is no ingredient called that in my shampoo or conditioner. Am I missing something?

Now, off for my second coffee... ;)

I am simply trying to keep as many chemicals off my skin as possible. Watching what my dad went through for years made me realise how powerful even using soap can be, if your body doesn't agree with it. I have had dermatitis for ever, and believe that I need to ensure as far as possible that I don't "play with the devil" of chemicals. For many years If my dad used anything other than aqueous cream he ended up in hospital. Probably six times including the one where the doctor said we could have lost him if the drugs didn't kick in and fight the infection. When you see that happen you realise that messing with chemicals can be risky, so where I can I minimise my contact with chemicals.

Of course, we live in a modern world and that is not always possible.

I do understand your concern; I guess the problem is though, wylie, that people don't distinguish between fact and myth. My postgrad work was in the area of public perception of science, so I'm particularly frustrated when I see poor/junk science peddled, and (unfortunately) people believing it. Nearly every product with "natural", "organic", or "chemical-free" on it is preying on people's (mostly unsubstantiated) fears.

For example, "hormone-free" chicken... Did you know that no chickens have been fed antibiotics (other than as prescribed by a veterinarian, which wouldn't be economical for farm chickens) or hormones for over 40 years in Australia? It's only labelled that way to create the impression that chicken without those labels might contain hormones. In much of the first world it's illegal to advertise "hormone-free chicken", because it's misleading. All chicken sold in the first world is hormone-free (other than, of course, hormones naturally occurring in the chicken whilst it was alive).
I don't know why you would think I am joking. There is no ingredient called that in my shampoo or conditioner. Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing something re DHMO. It was a site created by somebody with exactly the same frustrations as me, to show how silly some of this "scare science" is.

Di - two
Hydro - hydrogen
mono - one
oxide - oxygen

ie DHMO = H2O... ie WATER! But DHMO sounds so much more "chemically" and scary than "water", doesn't it?

I did know that chickens are not fed hormones, but only because I read it at my local deli. Obviously they are sick of people asking if the chickens are fed hormones :).

The chemical name did sound scary, but I really don't see how that makes my concerns about chemicals less "real". I know that if I touch bathroom cleaners, my hands become courser than a brickie's hands. Your making a point that water can be made to sound like a poison is very clever :rolleyes: but it doesn't lessen my concern about chemicals.

Some of the chemicals in soap, sticky tape, grass and sap (and pretty much anything else you can think of) that nearly caused my father's death had much more benign sounding names, but they nearly killed him. At least, they allowed his skin to become so irritated and swollen that turning the page of the newspaper cut his skin and allowed his blood to become poisoned (cannot remember the technical word but similar to septicaemia). He developed bags under his eyes that looked like they had a tablespoon of fluid in them. He was put in the infectious diseases ward and the man in the next bed DID die between one visit and the next day, so it was pretty harrowing.

And I still will not use SLS. It may not cause cancer, but reading what it does do is scary enough for me.

i think the best way is digital straightening, your hair instantly becomes smooth, shiny and sleek. No more straightening irons and it last for ages until the roots grow back...my friend's one last about 8mths. It's about $80 to get it done in Asia but I think $200 in Oz from asian salons.
The process takes 4 hours but it's worth it.

What exactly is digital straightening. I have crazy corkscrew curls that I'd love to tame. Have had it straightened in a salon but it only lasts 3 or so days.

The chemical name did sound scary, but I really don't see how that makes my concerns about chemicals less "real".
wylie, your concerns about the substances that you know irritate your hands are obviously real and obviously you should avoid those substances. I was just trying to make the point that it's not because they're "chemicals", because pretty much everything in the world is a chemical, strictly speaking. It's because those particular substances are irritating to you.

Having said that, sorry for going on a big rant. :eek: Did I mention it was a pet peeve? :D

I'm very sorry to hear of the challenges that you and your father have with your skin; I absolutely know that those are very real and absolutely awful skin conditions to try and live with. I didn't for a minute mean to imply that they weren't. I was just on a sincere, albeit misguided, defence of "chemicals". :eek:

Peace, my friend? :)

frizzy hair.

Wylie, I actually agree with you about chemicals and actually had an allergic reaction from using a normal conditioner for a prolonged time in my hair. I very much agree with how you do things and i personally wouldnt bother answering anyone who thought differently. Each to their own.

thanks.

Francine.

OK here's the secret (imo):

If your going to use commercial shampoos & conditioners, only use the better, and usually more expensive, brands from the salons.
Try changing brand every 2/3 weeks. Don't throw the previous one out, just cycle through 3-4 brands every few weeks.
Dont use too much shampoo & conditioner. Yes, we all use too much and at least twice as much as we need.
Rinse thoroughly, this is important.

If you want a non chemical solution, you could try rubbing some olive oil (extra virgin) on your scalp at night or a few hours before you wash your hair.

Back