Anyone use ONLINE accounting packages?

Click on the links above and it'll take you to Quickbooks, MYOB & Xero's online accounting packages. Xero is only available online. Apparently QB is no different to use, apart from obviously your data floats around in space. I'm checking out MYOB now. I'm a QB user and have been for over 15 years, business & personal.

Pros
You won't lose your data if your system crashes.
Can access from anywhere.
You can share access details with your accountant for them to make direct entry changes and to access details for preparing accounts.

Cons
Can't use if the internet dies on you. Hope you don't use it for billing.
Its subscription based. Stop paying, can't use it anymore.

Its a mixed bag.

Cons
Can't use if the internet dies on you. Hope you don't use it for billing.
Its subscription based. Stop paying, can't use it anymore.

Its a mixed bag.

I suppose the question is, once you use the online version of the accounting packages can you ever get the data out to be used elsewhere and if so how easy.

I have used QB online and it is just as easy to use as if it were on your hard drive. This is for a client, however, and the only issue that I am concerned about is security, but the clients business is IT security so I am assuming they have done their due diligence and wouldnt trust it if it were not safe.

Cheers

hey "Kath"
We had QB online installed at work in Bris last year HATED IT!!! They have now gone back to local version.

It was a LOT slower (of course this is dependant on internet speeds)
The usage was exactly the same and we did backups in the same way as the local version. ie: we had a .QBB file on our local server as well as trusting Reckon to hold it.

I guess it comes down to the question of WHY do you want to access your QB/MYOB file anywhere? (Ours was for the boss and sales manager to be able to work from home) In the end it was easier and MUCH less hassle for the admin team to have QB locally and allow the guys to simply have remote acces to another computer.

See you soon

I'm self employed as a bookkeeper / admin / VA and as beinig a Mum is my priority, working from home makes life a lot easier. I use 'Team Viewer' and other programs so I can log into clients computers from home to get to their data. I try & keep up with the times so if & when clients pop up who've heard about or think they want to go for Xero, QB etc online I'm ready for them.

I'm not entirely comfortable with 'cloud computing' for myself due to security. I still use desktop QB and store data / photos on an external hard drive.

I agree with Mry's comments on the pros and cons.

I have clients who back up to the 'cloud', USB, separate harddrives. Some still to disk.

Reasons for "why" - I live in QLD, I have clients in WA & NZ. Some people / business find it easier to give their accountant their passwords instead of mailing a USB stick or files are too big to email. Some don't have an office. Some don't care about the management of their money and just want me to organise them for the next BAS or for their accountant. Everyone's different.

I am very interested in online quickbooks,
Only reason is so accountant can get to bass and tax info.

I have now quickbooks Plus 2010-2011 on my desktop.

I have a couple of questions to someone who might know?
They are running Quickbooks Enterprise am I right?
Does the online version do payroll?
Or can you choose the version you want?

If they use Enterprise,can you convert your file back to Quickbooks Plus when you want?

I am very interested in online quickbooks,
Only reason is so accountant can get to bass and tax info.

I have now quickbooks Plus 2010-2011 on my desktop.

I have a couple of questions to someone who might know?
They are running Quickbooks Enterprise am I right?
Does the online version do payroll?
Or can you choose the version you want?

If they use Enterprise,can you convert your file back to Quickbooks Plus when you want?

Mate, why don't you just give your accountant access to your pc. They can log on to your pc from there office to prepare BAS/Tax etc Works great with MS based pc's not sure with Macs though.

Cheers,

JC

Earlier this year I migrated all my bookkeeping from Quickbooks to http://www.saasu.com/ ... an Australian company which has been operating for over 10 years now and has a very good and stable online platform.

I am running several companies plus my trust books through Saasu now - very nice and easy to learn, and I am loving the invoicing system for my business and the ability to allow multiple users access to my files from anywhere.

They also recently launched bank integration where it automatically downloads my bank statement data and allows me to reconcile quickly and easily (or create new transactions as required).

Down the track I will be programming integration directly with some of my websites where it will automatically create sales and payments whenever someone pays for something online (subscription / product purchase / etc). That will save me even more time.

I'm so glad to be able to ditch Quickbooks.

I've decided to keep using Quicken Personal Plus for my personal finances though (for now) - I haven't found anything I'm completely happy with yet to replace it, and I also have over 15 years worth of data there I want to maintain access to for reporting.

I just found out that the team at Saasu are working on a personal finance solution!

If it is of the same quality as their business finance tools, I'll be signing up as soon as it is available!

I just found out that the team at Saasu are working on a personal finance solution!

If it is of the same quality as their business finance tools, I'll be signing up as soon as it is available!

Any rough prices Sim?
Never even considered an online version. Thanks to the OP :)

Any rough prices Sim?
Never even considered an online version. Thanks to the OP :)

Not yet - this is the first I've heard that they are even developing something.

They said they have no indication of when it might be available - it's very early days. I assume it will have a lengthy beta period before it goes live too.

Back