ANZ: 3 year fixed 6.44%

I'm waiting for people to rush to fix then banks increase their rate lock fee when a cat gets out of the bag fixed rates will be going up.

My feeling is different Rolf. I think the money markets have over-estimated the chances of large interest rate reductions. I think the stock market volatility has spooked the money markets. My bet is fixed rates will be higher next month. 6.40% for 3 years is very optimistic (or pessimistic - whichever way you want to look at it). Interestingly, the best time to fix rates is when no one wants to. I recall recommending fixing at St George for 5 years at 5.64% (or whatever it was). Not many clients listened but the ones that did love me now. I guess it’s a bit of a gamble.

I have a 50% lock at 5.35% coming out in June 2012, so i'm in your camp as a general rule. However I cant see rates (fixed or variable) going up before March-June 2012 at least.

Wait till the worst Xmas retail figures for a decade hit the headlines in Jan! It will be shortly after that that i'll look to take on another 2-3 year partial fix. Well thats why my crystal ball is telling me anyway :)

Jaycee

Say rates go 5.99% on a fixed. Then the economy moves up and rates start to increase again. The bank comes out and says in 2 weeks they're increasing rates to 6.29.

If you didnt lock your interest rate down and you have 3 weeks to settle then you settle at 6.29%.

However you can pay .Xx% of your loan amount or a set fee and they'll make sure you get your 5.99%.

If its a switch from variable to fixed with same lender different story as usually they'll be more quick about it. But for 'new business' it might put people in over a barrel

Jaycee

Say rates go 5.99% on a fixed. Then the economy moves up and rates start to increase again. The bank comes out and says in 2 weeks they're increasing rates to 6.29.

If you didnt lock your interest rate down and you have 3 weeks to settle then you settle at 6.29%.

However you can pay .Xx% of your loan amount or a set fee and they'll make sure you get your 5.99%.

If its a switch from variable to fixed with same lender different story as usually they'll be more quick about it. But for 'new business' it might put people in over a barrel

Yeah all totallly over my head mate

I pay 7.3% roughly now, all variable

Are you saying refiniacning for 3 years fixed at 6.4% will be bad or not ??

The way I see it., I will be saving 0.9% interest per year for 3 years... 0.9% of $1m = $9k pa ???

Yeah all totallly over my head mate

I pay 7.3% roughly now, all variable

Are you saying refiniacning for 3 years fixed at 6.4% will be bad or not ??

The way I see it., I will be saving 0.9% interest per year for 3 years... 0.9% of $1m = $9k pa ???

7.3? wow whos that with...hopefully it's a basic loan ( no annual fee etc)

Regards
Michael

Thanks Michael. Is it the same rate loading that comes with variable loans ie 2% or do they vary per bank?

1.85-2.2% as per lender..most are 2%

End of the day if you cant service a loan under a variable rate....it wont be any better under fixed lol - they use the same CALCULATOR.

Unless you go for some selected lenders that will not do rate loading for 5years + as mentioned.

Michael,

What rate am I supposed to be on ?

If you were my broker, what words would you be having with yourself ?

The Current offer for CBA wealth package member- new and existing ( have to ask tho...not automatically given) are ( variable rate product...not LOC etc):

$250-$500k loan ---- 0.9% discount (LVR 80%<) OR 0.85% ( 0.9% LVR <)

$500,000 ---- 1% discount ( LVR 80%<) Or 0.95% ( o,9% >)

1% + for loan over $850,000 + LVR under 80%.

So really most mortgage holder with the major 4 bank should be on a rate NO MORE then 7.1%-- most would be around 6.9-7% Variable.

P.s CBA's SVR is 7.8%

Regards,
Michael

The Current offer for CBA wealth package member- new and existing ( have to ask tho...not automatically given) are ( variable rate product...not LOC etc):

$250-$500k loan ---- 0.9% discount (LVR 80%<) OR 0.85% ( 0.9% LVR <)

$500,000 ---- 1% discount ( LVR 80%<) Or 0.95% ( o,9% >)

1% + for loan over $850,000 + LVR under 80%.

So really most mortgage holder with the major 4 bank should be on a rate NO MORE then 7.1%-- most would be around 6.9-7% Variable.

P.s CBA's SVR is 7.8%

Regards,
Michael

Hmmmmmmmmm

Something to think about.

i know the purpose of fixing is not to pick the bottom but as a hedging instrument BUT for those willing to give opinions, would you fix now if you could get a 3yr fixed between 6.4-6.6%?

RBA would have to drop cash rate twice for you to even out...question is how bad will things get? Noone knows but I'm very tempted to fix now having missed the boat the last GFC.

Fixed rates

Hiya

Can someone confirm whether fixing a rate does not allow for Interest Only loans ? Ie you must be on P & I terms only?

tks!

Hiya

Can someone confirm whether fixing a rate does not allow for Interest Only loans ? Ie you must be on P & I terms only?

tks!

I've done IO loans in the past on fixed rate, generally only IO for the fixed term then revert to P&I when they move to variable.

That being said the package discounts being discussed above normally only apply to variable loans in my experience.

Back