Apartment near a cemetery

Hi, just looking for some advice here. Looking to buy an apartment in Melbourne's west. I have found a nice one, it is in a good block and everything appeared great. I showed my friend the apartment last week and he made mention of it being close to a cemetery. The complex is approx 70m away from the unused cemetery (brick gated) and is not facing it either. The cemetery is basically at the end of the road on the other side.
I dont know why but it is bothering me a bit now..
Is this close enough to bother most people, and would it accept the potential resale value??
Many thanks

Is this close enough to bother most people, and would it accept the potential resale value??
Many thanks

If it is bothering you so that you have to ask it here, you can assume it will bother others as well. So, yes, it will affect the potential resale value.

This is a little bit different as the complex is 70m away and not facing the old cemetery. Would this be enough to put anyone off and affect the resale value?

Wouldnt bother me, but how much traffic does the entrance to the cemetary generate as well as on street parking issues?

Hi, just looking for some advice here. Looking to buy an apartment in Melbourne's west. I have found a nice one, it is in a good block and everything appeared great. I showed my friend the apartment last week and he made mention of it being close to a cemetery. The complex is approx 70m away from the unused cemetery (brick gated) and is not facing it either. The cemetery is basically at the end of the road on the other side.
Many thanks

how much are you paying for it?

50% + below market value? nope resale won't bother me

close to market price? yeah I'd be bothered

Its a very old cemetery that isn't used anymore and isn't on the street the apartment is located on it's on the street intersecting approx 70m away, there are no traffic issues, only the sight of a cemetery with a big brick wall 70m away when you enter the apartment.
It didn't bother me initially but the fact an old cemetery is 70m away.. I'm not sure if this is a deal breaker

Wouldnt bother me, but how much traffic does the entrance to the cemetary generate as well as on street parking issues?

Would be paying the market rate no discount as it's not really facing the cemetery, merely 70m distance away from it and on a seperate street

Are you getting it at a reduced price compared to a similar complex in the next street which isn't near the cemetery?

Are you getting it at a reduced price compared to a similar complex in the next street which isn't near the cemetery?

Nope, I guess the fact it's 70-80m away many people wouldn't consider the need for a discount as it's not directly facing it

This is a little bit different as the complex is 70m away and not facing the old cemetery. Would this be enough to put anyone off and affect the resale value?

Do not be so dismissive of the posts already made as are actually relevant to you:

- disused blocks can have more night activity/vandalism
- what type of traffic and when
- actual use
- visibility

and more.

Nope, I guess the fact it's 70-80m away many people wouldn't consider the need for a discount as it's not directly facing it

Then i would suggest buying one in a similar complex in the next street if everything else is equal. Your mate seems to think it should get a discount.

Do not be so dismissive of the posts already made as are actually relevant to you:

- disused blocks can have more night activity/vandalism
- what type of traffic and when
- actual use
- visibility

and more.

The cemetery gets very little or no traffic. Visibility wise there is a big brick fence closing it off however some tombstones are still visible.
I would buy in a diff street if I could find a apartment anywhere nearly as nice as this one.
From the actual apartment you can't see the cemetery it's only when you drive up to the complex you can see it
I am not being dismissive of these points, just trying to work out in my head if being 70m away and not facing the unused cemetery has the same effect on prices etc if it was directly opposite
Many thanks so far for all the feedback

It's still within a potentially hazardous contamination zone.
Signs like the attached required on and near the property.

The Y-man

Attachments

• images4.jpeg
    images4.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 61
  • images3.jpeg
    images3.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 59
  • images2.jpeg
    images2.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 67
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 59
Still not sure if it would be unsightly enough to turn people off renting their also. I drove past again and could see the tombstones sticking up, the cemetery seems to get bigger everytime I go back. Am I overthinking this or is a cemetery 70 odd meters away a deal breaker for most??

I wouldnt want to live right next door, but 70m would be ok for me.

My husband and I regularly traipse through old cemeteries (looking for family history). Whenever we go away usually half my holiday snaps are from cemeteries. (Yes we are weird :D)

It might be a turnoff for older people, as people living within 5km of a cemetery are not allowed to be buried in that cemetery.

(Because they're still living)

Back