Apartment near a cemetery

Me: You're not 'dead serious' about this, are you?
You: Well, I've been told it's the 'dead centre of town' and 'people are dying to get in here'
Me: Okay, at least, you'll have 'deadly quiet' neighbours
You: Yes, there is a brick wall between me and 'The Living Dead' (neighbours)
Me: I heard the gals around here were 'drop dead' gorgeous
You: Whew! At least they won't be putting me off or turning me down!
Me: Well, welcome to the Hotel California, son, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave!:D

"Hotel California"

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I had to stop for the night
There she stood in the doorway;
I heard the mission bell
And I was thinking to myself,
"This could be Heaven or this could be Hell"
Then she lit up a candle and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
Plenty of room at the Hotel California
Any time of year (Any time of year)
You can find it here

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends
She got a lot of pretty, pretty boys she calls friends
How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.
Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

So I called up the Captain,
"Please bring me my wine"
He said, "We haven't had that spirit here since nineteen sixty nine"
And still those voices are calling from far away,
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say...

Welcome to the Hotel California
Such a lovely place (Such a lovely place)
Such a lovely face
They livin' it up at the Hotel California
What a nice surprise (what a nice surprise)
Bring your alibis

Mirrors on the ceiling,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said "We are all just prisoners here, of our own device"
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
They stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave! "

I wouldn't buy one. In this day and age there are still too many irrational people. Ghosts, spirituality, religion, the number 4. It shouldn't mean a thing but we don't live in a perfect world.

I drove past again and could see the tombstones sticking up, the cemetery seems to get bigger everytime I go back.

SS86, If the cementery seems to get bigger everytime you go back, it's really an added burden/doubt/worry that you don't need. Do people have to walk pass the cemetery if they are coming home at night from public transport (bus, train).
Or is your apartment block only accessible by car?

You say this apartment is the West. Can I hazard a guess that it may be one of the following suburbs: Sunshine, Sunshine North, Sunshine West, St Albans, Cairnlea, Albion, Ardeer, Deer Park. An increasing number of Asians choose to live in the West as it is cheaper but still nearer the city and they want to send their kids to Sunshine College. Sunshine College VCE results and reputation is so strong that they even have an International Students section on their website for potential International students to enquire and enrol now.

If your target market to re-sell your apartment is to Asians, particularly the Chinese :- Mainland Chinese, Vietnamese Chinese, Taiwanese Chinese, Malaysian Chinese, Singapore Chinese. Then to them, being near a cemetery is bad feng shui.

However, if your apartment is so close to Sunshine College five campuses or has such a great location that Asians will choose to overlook it, they can engage the services of feng shui masters or Taoists priests to change the feng shui of their apartment.

There will always be people who will be turned off living too near a cemetery.
People have fanciful imagination and for women, they will be worried if there is an odd character or two hanging around the cemetery - robbery, molest etc.

If I can avoid it, I tend not to want to buy near cemeteries or crematoriums or funeral homes myself. I notice the resale prices of houses with land near cemeteries near my suburb are lower than average. But that's houses with land, not apartments.

You say you can see the brick wall of the cemetery when you enter the apartment. This can definitely affect some people as they do not like to be reminded of death or death of their loved ones.

Are you living in it yourself (PPOR) or renting it out (IP), SS86?

If your target market to re-sell your apartment is to Asians, particularly the Chinese :- Mainland Chinese, Vietnamese Chinese, Taiwanese Chinese, Malaysian Chinese, Singapore Chinese. Then to them, being near a cemetery is bad feng shui.

?

This. I'm an Asian and I won't consider buying near a cemetery or if the apartment has views looking into the cemetery. I know lots of other friends and acquaintances who wouldn't buy too. No offense but its just how we've been brought up, where superstitions and numerology are part of buying a property.

So if you're looking to sell in future, you might be narrowing your potential clients.

avoid like the plague...cemetery and high capital gains don't mix

I would avoid, but like the person above said if it's in a really good area people will be rational. I saw a #4 house sell for a very high price to an asian family because the location was basically unbeatable. It was probably one of the top 30 lots of land in the suburb. Funny how common sense rears its head when it needs to.

Thanks for all your replies. The apartment was for ppor. I have decided against it, even though it is a beautiful apartment in a boutique attractive complex, I couldn't stand driving up to it every day with tombstones in site
Many thanks for all the replies much appreciated

There are plenty of houses/units near cemeteries especially in the innercity areas where graveyards were commonly placed beside churches. Many of these cemeteries no longer take internments other than for those who own unused plots.

I had a friend who was turned off a purchase in Greenacre because it was too close to Rookwood cemetery. Yet, directly across the road from Rookwood (probably the biggest cemetery in the southern hemisphere), they have developed a whole new housing estate - no discounts there.

If it bothers you, don't buy. If it repesents value, you decide.

Thanks for all your replies. The apartment was for ppor. I have decided against it, even though it is a beautiful apartment in a boutique attractive complex, I couldn't stand driving up to it every day with tombstones in site
Many thanks for all the replies much appreciated

I think it would put a lot of people off. I wouldn't do it, there are always as good if not better buys out there. What's the rush?

Congratulations SS86, on your decision. As Tula said above, I don't think you're losing on anything by giving this unit a miss.
After all, I did hear that most of the people in this neighbourhood are really stiff.........

Lidcombe has a very large cemetery in south side, but the property price has boomed. If I bought a house there 550K 3 years ago, now the it should be 750K I think.

Back