Approx cost of removing old ducted aircon system?

I have an IP and it's got an old ducted aircon that's no longer working. What's the approx cost of removing all teh ducts and unit in the ceiling?

I should mention that this house has a rather shallow roof angle, meaning its very cramped up there. Will some roof tiles need to be destroyed and repaired in the process?

What's the ballpark cost of this, and also what type of tradie does this sort of thing? Can a handyman do it?

You will need a sparkie to disconnect the ac from the switch board , should only take 10 mins. You could possibly get him to rip the system out or it might be cheaper to get a handyman to do the rest. Can't see it taking more than half a day

I can regyprock and repaint the ceilings myself, and all the electrician stuff (disconnect, reconnect) will be free because I have a relative who is a sparkie.

But I'll be hiring someone for the actual removing.

I want the entire ceiling unit and all ducting removed. It's very hard because the roof's angle is relatively shallow and the space in the ceiling is so small. When I go up there, my stomach is literally dragging along the beams, that's how tight it is up there

So my question is has anyone got experience with whether the guy who removes it will be able to do everything without needing to remove roof tiles? And if he does need to remove roof tiles, how much approximately will the entire task cost?

Probably going to be more of a PIA than it is worth.

Disconnect the electrics & patch the air grille holes only otherwise you will be looking at dropping out the ceiling under the unit + access, getting the unit out may require some disassembly of the unit as well as using a couple of genie hoists to lower the unit safely to the floor. Not quite a one man 8 hour job at all.

BTW you will need an air conditioning mechanic to degas the unit as well - you don't want to be destroying the atmosphere with CFCs etc. :eek:

Have you had the unit checked to see if it is salvageable? Ie change the fan coil unit or is it way too old for replacement parts?

Way too old for replacement parts.

Thing is the air con is very annoying as it's taking up precious space in the ceiling. Every time there needs to be some DIY job done in the ceiling, it's near impossible because of all the ducting everywhere taking up the little space that's there.

I'm never buying a house with ducted aircon again! And never buying a house with low roof angle again! :(:(

maybe leave the unit up there and just remove the ducting..?
could always take to it with a 9" angle grinder and remove it in small pieces

maybe leave the unit up there and just remove the ducting..?
could always take to it with a 9" angle grinder and remove it in small pieces

better yet put a bomb in it, just sweep up the pieces later:D oh thats right there is a house involved too....

Back