Approx cost to extend - inner city terrace

Hi,

Does anybody have any experiences regarding the cost to extend and restructure an inner city terrace?

For example, these normally have 2 bedrooms and a small living area/kitchen downstairs.

What would be the approx cost to:

- turn downstairs into just 1 bedroom, with a much bigger living area, new kitchen, bathroom
- and add a second story with a big master bedroom with WIR, ensuite, and a 3rd bedroom

Examples of the sort of starting point I had in mind:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...mt=&header=&cc=&c=9953563&s=vic&tm=1246868309 (would obviously go for something unrenovated to begin with!)

But gives an idea of suburb (richmond, sth yarra, port melbourne) and layout.

Thanks!

Impossible to say. Depends on the condition of the existing building and the level of finish. If you go for high end architectural, it might cost $4,000 per sqm.
Mid range might be $2,500 - $3,000 per sqm.
We had a client last week with a terrace house in Sydney. He started replacing a kitchen bench that was water damaged. Then realised he had to replace the cupboards, too. And some of the flooring. And so it went. About $200K later he's got a nicely renovated single storey terrace.
Scott

Thanks Scott.

Know its a big "how long is a piece of string" question but wanted some very ballpark numbers.

Thanks again!!

180 plus

We're extending a single-fronted in inner Melb with extra two bedrooms upstairs and non-fancy finishes. Hoping to come in at $220-300K but haven't got proper quotes yet.

A friend who knocked down entire terrace except for front facade and rebuilt with upstairs and high end finishes spent about 400K.

I doubt you'd be able to do much with less than 180K. If there is a steep roof pitch you might be able to do an attic conversion.

I'll keep updating my blog as the project progresses if you want to get a more accurate idea.

http://propertyvic.blogspot.com/

We went through the process 1.5 years ago.

To do exactly as you described ie 1 bedroom downstairs - open it up - then have 2 BR/bathroom upstairs etc. Architecturally designed we had quotes come in around the 250k mark. It was gonna be a nice reno though. I reckon you could do it on the cheap for 200.

The reno that you have alluded to in you attachement looks to me to be an average 150-180 k reno.

(we never did go through with it!)

Cheers
Aussie

What about to just extend the ground floor back to add on a bedroom, or bigger lounge?

If its a terrace it may not have much room at the back.

NB
I really like how they used all that glass in the property from the original post.

We went through the process 1.5 years ago.

To do exactly as you described ie 1 bedroom downstairs - open it up - then have 2 BR/bathroom upstairs etc. Architecturally designed we had quotes come in around the 250k mark. It was gonna be a nice reno though. I reckon you could do it on the cheap for 200.

The reno that you have alluded to in you attachement looks to me to be an average 150-180 k reno.

(we never did go through with it!)

Cheers
Aussie

Wow, thats not too bad Aussie. Do you remember how many new sq metres of space total (and upstairs and downstairs new space)?

By the way, which suburb was is the property in?

We're extending a single-fronted in inner Melb with extra two bedrooms upstairs and non-fancy finishes. Hoping to come in at $220-300K but haven't got proper quotes yet.

A friend who knocked down entire terrace except for front facade and rebuilt with upstairs and high end finishes spent about 400K.

I doubt you'd be able to do much with less than 180K. If there is a steep roof pitch you might be able to do an attic conversion.

I'll keep updating my blog as the project progresses if you want to get a more accurate idea.

http://propertyvic.blogspot.com/

Wow - great website you have there!!

Please do keep on posting your progress, I am very interested in how the project goes and costings...

And good luck too!!!

Hi Trogdor

Northcote cant remember the dimesions though. The house is on 7 x 38m and attached on onsde. We sould have only kept the front two rooms and the facade...:cool:

Back