Are inspections by Property Managers compulsory in Qld?

One of my property managers only does inspections on a needs basis which is very rarely. Can I force him to conduct more regular inspections?

My son also uses him and has decided to give him the flick because he failed to find out that some druggies had trashed the property.

What does your management agreement with the agent say?

Our managers conduct inspections each quarter and send pictures of that inspection - perhaps you need to either communicate your requirements or find an agent who will do as you ask.

One of my property managers only does inspections on a needs basis which is very rarely. Can I force him to conduct more regular inspections?

My son also uses him and has decided to give him the flick because he failed to find out that some druggies had trashed the property.

There is generally nothing that compels the PM to do inspections, or any other specific tasks unless those are legislated (send bonds collected to RTA, disburse rent to owner etc). Some agencies have an attachment to the PAMD 20a that states their obligations under the contract, but most don't.

It is best practice to conduct a routine inspection every 3 months as that is the minimum allowable time between inspections in QLD. That is what I do.

The main reason I do this, is because not doing routine inspections will allow small issues to snowball, and will cause a headache for both me and my client down the track. Some investors don't want to know about the minor details, but I find that many appreciate the report and photographs to show that their investment is being well looked after.

The only way you can compel them to do it, is by giving them the ultimatum of either doing what you ask of them, or you will be changing agents.

Matt:)

Back