are people getting ruder? (not talking ss here)

Monopoly

Wasn't talking about skater :p was talking about the other person saying they tailgate and go with high beam. I agree skaters strategy is much more mature.

Tailgating is extremely dangerous and all it would take is some small animal to run out in front of your car, slam on the brakes in instinct and the person behind has not only endangered their lives but yours and the drivers around them. Total fools.

Monopoly

Wasn't talking about skater :p was talking about the other person saying they tailgate and go with high beam. I agree skaters strategy is much more mature.

Tailgating is extremely dangerous and all it would take is some small animal to run out in front of your car, slam on the brakes in instinct and the person behind has not only endangered their lives but yours and the drivers around them. Total fools.
Oh okay...not that it really matters, as long as they back off (her tail) it'll be safer for everyone concerned. Problem is most of the time tailgating really doesn't put the tailgater any further along, and all they really manage to do is put a lot of innocent drivers potentially in harms way.

As far as tactics....I'm all for doing whatever it takes, slowing down in front of them or giving them the bird :eek: if you can get them off your backside asap, then do what you have to, but SAFELY.

Remember, you get 100 points for every cyclist you mow down.
That reminds me of the time I was called to an incident and the police officer (forgetting I was not into the cop-speak/lingo) proceeded to inform me that the accident was caused by a speeding motorist who failed to give way to a slow ped !!! :eek: What he meant was a "slow pedestrian" not a person of asian appearance! Needless to say I managed to hold back the laughter long enough to quietly suggest he not abbreviate but use the full term and avoid the possibility of anyone falsely accusing him of racism!:eek:

Lizzie:
i'm just wondering if i'm becoming more aware or are, in general, people becoming ruder and less considerate?

I've had a relatively busy 12 months travelling, different places, few different states, cities of Australia, (for many different reasons). It's been quite enjoyable, meeting new people, hearing new ideas, new thoughts on stuff, I have found everyone polite, friendly, the airport and planes was fine, the road travelling I did observe some reckless bits of driving, but no accidents, and cannot honestly say it was anymore or less than what seems as usual. Last trip into Melbourne was the long weekend, we just made sure to time it to avoid heavier traffic, most were headed 'out' while we headed 'in'-anyway.

Before that I was travelling south west Victoria, and before that Queensland and New South Wales, the people were beautiful, it was a huge part of the fun, some Aussies, different nationalities, country people, city people, the people were as much fun as the country and beautiful scenery...I did express some concern for the infrastructure of some areas of QLD's roads though, some areas are accidents waiting to happen. It's like QLD exploded with it's population, it's tourism, but infrastructure has not kept up, (main road wise).

Remember, you get 100 points for every cyclist you mow down.

Actually, you only get 1 point for the one who is riding halfway out into the car lane, the other two riding beside him/her are worth more points - the one on the inside closest to the curb is the one worth 100 points because they are harder to hit - you have to plough through others to get to him/her. :D

Double points if they are 60 year old duffers on Sunday morning riding down to the cafe for a latte, and are dressed up in matching coloured outfits like "Team Lance". :rolleyes:

At least they (the 60 year olds) are out there having a crack I suppose.

Only double points for the under 35's then...they bloody well should be out there.

Last edited:
anonymously doing something kind to someone and leaving a kindness card behind asking the receiver to do the same.

Why not anonymously do something kind and leave it at that ?

It's to try to encourage them (the receiver) to do something similar with the card that you've left, so it ripples forward.

It's to try to encourage them (the receiver) to do something similar with the card that you've left, so it ripples forward.

Doesn't that assume that other people won't do the right thing unelss you someone else tells them to (?) unlike "us" who started it (?)

not trying to pick anything apart, just expressing what camne to my mind when I saw it..... just saying...

Don't get ME started on this one....oh, alright.

I reckon the human race as a whole has gone so downhill it's not funny, since I was boy.

Maybe I was young and naieve.

My view now is that the more desirable humans we need on Planet Earth - people who want to educate themselves, people who have some class, people who have some career ambition and pride in themselves, their apprearance and their general attitude to life - are the smaller minority and getting smaller. Thes epeople are only having one or two kids....The braindead majority are reproducing like rabbits meanwhile.

I see the sub-class only increasing, re-populating themsleves at a rate of knots, living on welfare, looking for the rort and ever-diluting the intelligence pool, increasing the crime rate, the single mother rate, the druggie rate and more.

The fact that EVERYONE has to have a tattoo because everyone else has one or 100. For god's sake. The fact that despite all the info freely available today to the contrary, the under-achieving young still smoke cigarettes, and eat Maccas while weighing 100kg's or more in Year 10.

And so on.

Just go to any shopping mall, or any Maccas drivethrough (or Maccas counter) and study the level of humanity you will see there.

Maybe I'm a bit critical? :D

Go easy; I am an Aquarian - we want to save the word.

My goodness, Bayview! I had to read your post a number of times to try and work out if it was really you or actually ME who wrote it! I mean, it says your username at the top but you literally typed the words that I said to my husband just today as we walked around our local shopping centre, or as I prefer to call it, the 'Bogan Hell Hole'. Couldn't agree with you more!

Many people still don't realize how dangerous driving is, they just don't get it that two big chunks of Steel that weigh tons going at 60 - 120kms an hour each X 2 = a serious BANG and often people are killed or injured for life. I guess in country where bashing people, kids beating themselves up and bashing their heads in playing football are accepted as part of our culture then you have to expect some problems. :rolleyes:

I found this out a couple of days ago.
My daughter's friend emails me (we don't have a phone ) and says my daughter was hit by a car while she was crossing the road, after just getting off work. The car had stopped and daughter proceeded to cross. It was the car behind this car that slammed into it..that pushed it forward and flipped my daughter up into the air.
Thankfully she is only bruised,sore a has a dislocated shoulder.She will be off work for at least 1-2 weeks. It could have been so much worse. Not the kind of birthday present I wanted..but she survived..so in that way, it was the absolute best present in the world!!!!

Oh absolutely Liz, doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

People (I think) are getting much ruder in general, to the point that I've pretty well lost faith in humanity. Paired with everything else going on in the world and our extremely light sentencing for crime I feel we're going backwards FAST.

But I try not to worry myself about it. Nothing I can do and we will be our own demise in the end. All you can do is try to make your life the way you want it and not worry too much about the things you can't change.

Back to the general question, I think alot of this problem falls back on bad parenting.
I was lucky growing up in a strict household, and am a much better person for it today.

There is something you can do investor. You could start by talking to your neighbor. It all starts at home. If you are to inconsiderate and rude to talk to your neighbor what hope has any-one else got. Little things that compund can make a difference. Show a bit of respect and courtesy and it will be reciprocated 99% of the time. It is this self centtered attitude like yours that stoke this uncaring society. You should live your life the way that is right and proper. Not the way you want. Ive had realtives fight die,and be injured defending our way of life, and you arent prepared to make even the smallest effort to help preseve it. I have often told misbehaving kids to behave, and usually get told by their parents to mind my own buisiness. Bad behavior can only exist if more people tolerate it than dont.

I believe that society is on a downhill slide, with each crappy generation stomping the next soon-to-be-crappier generation even lower.

What do you expect, though, when we live in a sex saturated society that values wealth, beauty, and youth over things like common decency, community, and respect.

Look at our politicians - we actually expect them to lie to us, and rather than be outraged/grab a pitchfork and skewer them, we choose the one who lies the least.

Look at our television shows, and the filth they throw at us through our tv screens (I havnt watched TV in almost 10 years because of this) - instead of something meaningful, we get shows like Big Brother, where we watch a bunch of beer soaked social retards try to get into one anothers pants.

Dont get me started on the mindless drivel we call music nowadays - artists have stopped even using real words, and just mumble some sort of mangled garbage into a microphone.

30 years ago people watched an average of about an hours worth of television a day. The average is now 4 hours.

People dont know their neighbours any more. I remember being about 4, picking mangoes/bananas/starfruit off the tree and taking it over to my next door neighbour - these days I don't know my neighbours names. I say hi all the time, but get a quickly uttered "hi" back and thats that.

What kind of people do you expect in such a shocking system? crap in, crap out imo - and we havnt reached the bottom yet. I had a 15 year old girl hitting on me the other week. I let her know that when I was a senior in high school, she was half gestated. Her reply? "so. I've been with older men before."

Soddom and Gommorrah over here what the hell

I believe that society is on a downhill slide, with each crappy generation stomping the next soon-to-be-crappier generation even lower.

What do you expect, though, when we live in a sex saturated society that values wealth, beauty, and youth over things like common decency, community, and respect.

Out of interest, what society do you know of which has ever been based on common decency, community and respect, without having sex saturation, valuing wealth, beauty and youth?

I'd say romanticising the past is a common trait of all generations. :)

Shades of grey, CJ. Perfect societies never have existed, but i would be so bold as to say that people were more decent in the 40s than they are today
Out of interest, what society do you know of which has ever been based on common decency, community and respect, without having sex saturation, valuing wealth, beauty and youth?

I'd say romanticising the past is a common trait of all generations. :)

Would that be the Allies,Russians, Germans or Japanese.

Now you're being silly. No, more like Dave and Grace Sullivan and crew (The Sullivans 1976 - 1983) :D.

sullivanschH9.jpg

Back