Are you happy?

Love your post!!!

I'm glad to see mindfulness meditation has helped others to enjoy more from each moment of their life. I've been on a 10 day course before – very beneficial.

My definition of financial freedom was simply having the choice to no longer work, but maintain your desired lifestyle. Your partner is already there.

Much like you, I'm also working through parting with many of my possessions. It is SO liberating shedding material objects when you realise they bring you no happiness or wellbeing.

Well situational influences are the highest predictor of someones behaviour with meta analysis finding an r value of around .3 from memory whereas peronality variables are traditionally woeful predictors of behaviour with them either failing completely or at best approaching r values of less than .1 And that's even using the big 5 personality measure which is apparently the best one within the field of psychology right now.

What does that mean? Well exactly what I said, that situational influences impact someone's wellbeing and behaviour etc... more so than all the rest. So you can make all the claims you want about how situational influences won't impact your wellbeing etc... however situational influences do in fact have the highest probability of impacting your wellbeing as has been shown by YEARS AND YEARS of Social Psychology research. Feel free to spend some time on google scholar reading all about the situational influences on behaviour, coping, etc...

I think you're confusing my opinion with something else :)

I'm also working through parting with many of my possessions. It is SO liberating shedding material objects when you realise they bring you no happiness or wellbeing.

The impermanence of objects is a root cause of unhappiness according to Buddhism so it can be very liberating once you realise that nothing lasts forever and we shouldn't get attached to possessions.

Amen. Nothing better for my wellbeing after a shitty day than to sit in the backyard with my wife drinking a beer. And yes my wife prefers beer to girly drinks... I'm that lucky :)
I don't agree with drinks other than beer being called "girly" drinks.

What about Bourbon, or Scotch?

It's just a case of preferences.

I drink beer and bourbon, and so does my wife too, yet we both don't like Scotch.

Although we like beer, we both prefer white and red wine.

The fact that I as a male like them doesn't mean I'm a girl, or a "poofta" and so on....it's an archaic Australianism.

"Giddabeerindaya!"

But hey; I play tennis and golf as well...girly sports apparently. (snorts back a greenie and hucks it 5 metres across the room onto the wall, followed by a huge belly burp and then goes out back to wrestle a croc)

The impermanence of objects is a root cause of unhappiness according to Buddhism so it can be very liberating once you realise that nothing lasts forever and we shouldn't get attached to possessions.

And as you know, this extends to sensations, emotions, situations etc. Grasping the impermanence of everything and also viewing things as objectively as possible will do wonders for wellbeing.

During periods of intense meditation I've occasionally been able to "turn off" physical pain and simply observe it without any unpleasant sensation or negativity remaining (no, I didn't eat LSD for breakfast that day!). The mind is a powerful tool we can sharpen significantly to our own advantage.

I am generally happy now that Hubby and I are in a decent financial situation.

The news last night that our banks have reduced their interest rates helps greatly with that happiness feeling.:D

What is happiness...

Contentment, Joy, Laughter, Satisfaction?

Am I happy now, in this present moment?

How about later, any happiness may elude me by receiving bad news, watching a movie with a sad ending, or simply stubbing my toe on a piece of furniture on a cold morning?

Was I happy when I woke up, or glad I woke up?

Is happiness a moment by moment feeling, or how we describe our overall state of being? i.e. something more than an emotion?

Can you have a really bad day, the worst in your life to date, do you then still describe your life as a happy one? Or describe yourself as a happy person on that day?

If you complain about something, are you still a happy person ?

If you worry about something, are you still a happy person ?

I think overall happiness is like the saying "Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see the effects, but only you can feel it's warmth"

1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has?

Yes because with three kids there is more to go around.

2) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your portfolio has?

Yes and my confidence in decisions too

3) What's had the biggest positive, longterm impact on your happiness?

My family

4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness?

Losing my parents

5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased?

Not quite there yet

6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing?

Love your family and educate yourself. Don't let people who have not invested influence you about your investment decisions.

7) How old are you?

I ask only for considered, honest answers.

I don't agree with drinks other than beer being called "girly" drinks.

What about Bourbon, or Scotch?

It's just a case of preferences.

I drink beer and bourbon, and so does my wife too, yet we both don't like Scotch.

Although we like beer, we both prefer white and red wine.

The fact that I as a male like them doesn't mean I'm a girl, or a "poofta" and so on....it's an archaic Australianism.

"Giddabeerindaya!"

But hey; I play tennis and golf as well...girly sports apparently. (snorts back a greenie and hucks it 5 metres across the room onto the wall, followed by a huge belly burp and then goes out back to wrestle a croc)

Not too sure where you saw in my post me saying that all drinks besides beer are girly drinks

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're confusing my opinion with something else :)

Awesome way of not addressing your previous statements.

Oh and because Buddhism says so, is a great foundation for your thinking. Have fun with that.

Anyway I'm going to vaccate this thread now.

Pretty simply question in the title, but I want to break it down a bit more.

Note: when I use the word "happiness", I'm not talking about occasional spikes e.g. reaching a goal and feeling great for a short while, having a great holiday and buzzing for a week after returning etc. I'm talking about permanent changes in your moment-to-moment happiness. Happiness in each and every 3 second interval of your life (also know as "the present moment" – the ONLY time that ever matters. Right now. The past is a memory, and the future never arrives).

1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has?
2) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your portfolio has?
3) What's had the biggest positive, longterm impact on your happiness?
4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness?
5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased?
6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing?
7) How old are you?

I ask only for considered, honest answers.
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Willair - every so often you come up with some real corkers.

Best post on this already excellent thread - thank you!

I have nothing I could possibly add to that...

Not too sure where you saw in my post me saying that all drinks besides beer are girly drinks... lol
I think this gave us the idea...

Amen. Nothing better for my wellbeing after a shitty day than to sit in the backyard with my wife drinking a beer. And yes my wife prefers beer to girly drinks... I'm that lucky

I think this gave us the idea...

When you get to my age there's not much left to feel insecure about.

I'm still not sure how you make the jump in your mind to read that as if I was saying scotch and bourbon are girly drinks.

It's like me saying "I don't like girly cars" and then for someone to jump on and say "There's nothing girly about Commodores!!! Why Commodores are one of the manliest cars in the world. I've been driving commodores for years, and they aren't girly at all!"

But anyway, really not something that I care about :) So think what you will.

I'm still not sure how you make the jump in your mind to read that as if I was saying scotch and bourbon are girly drinks.

It's like me saying "I don't like girly cars" and then for someone to jump on and say "There's nothing girly about Commodores!!! Why Commodores are one of the manliest cars in the world. I've been driving commodores for years, and they aren't girly at all!"

But anyway, really not something that I care about :) So think what you will.
Bourbon and Scotch were just two examples of drinks other than beer, that could be/are in the category that isn't beer, and therefore by your description could be construed as a girly drink.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Maybe yahoo answers will help you, so that next time someone refers to girly drinks you know what they are talking about: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081010090216AASaMmH

You link to Yahoo answers?
Heads up, no drink can be girly or manly.
They're just drinks.

October-18-2011-20-12-49-DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Apparently estrogens in alcoholic beverage congeners exerted estrogenlike effects in both animals and humans, ergo; all alcoholic beverages are girly drinks ;)

Lets get back on topic regarding Happiness or the pursuit thereof

images

I was going to comment but it seems the happy has gone out of this thread.

Of why not, Answer: Yes, I am.

I enjoy life. I never fear change. I see every event as an opportunity. Not some Bhuddist thing simply me. Cannot understand why anyone in AUS who has at least average intelligence and good health is unhappy?

Helped I married a great girl.

Regards Peter 14.7

Back