Are you happy?

I think imagining yourself as the fruit/veg smoothy would be much more useful. Then trying to focus on the universal implications of a shower, before reading a book about meditation. Wine of course should not be drunk, as it's basically an invite for bad energy.
And then, I could disappear up my own behind for total solitude.

I have recently come across a website whose focus is essentially on improving oneself, and as a result, levels of happiness and moment-to-moment wellbeing: www.raptitude.com

Interestingly, mindfulness/meditation have played a heavy part in his journey, and are written about in varying degrees in many of the posts.

Worth investigating if you have the time and will.

Yup, I'm happy. My net worth isn't much. I've been richer and I've been poorer. The only times money makes any difference to my happiness is if we don't have enough to cover all our bills and I get stressed. Luckily we've had assets we could sell to help us through a few tough times.

As far as wealth increasing my happiness, it doesn't really. There's a certain satisfaction I get from knowing I've achieved something, or that a particular project has been successful, and increased wealth is like proof of that achievement/success, so in a way it makes me happy. But it's not the kind of 'happy in the moment' happiness that you're talking about.

So anyway, here are my answers:

1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has?
Nope

2) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your portfolio has?
Nope

3) What's had the biggest positive, longterm impact on your happiness?
I was safe and loved as a kid? I don't know. I've generally always been happy.

4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness?
Thinking about it too much. Between about 20 and 22 I spent too much time in my own head, wondering who I *really* was and what *really* made me happy. It was a frustrating, circular thinking that only made me doubt myself become overly self-involved.

5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased?
Not there yet but hubby has been there, and lost it, and while he was there (before I met him) he was a lot less happy than he is now.

6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing?
Don't take stuff too seriously. Don't think too much. Don't dwell on stuff that annoys you. Appreciate the simple things.

7) How old are you?

My honest answers...

Pretty simply question in the title, but I want to break it down a bit more.

1) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your income/net worth has?

Not directly, but less stress nowadays when no need to worry if we have enough money for bills or having breakfast in cafe, if wish to do so. I hate uncertainty.

No

Health getting better after long illness.

Long battle with health issues

5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased?

Not there yet. Or actually we would if selling properties. But we both honestly like what we do for living. So I suppose answer is no.:D

6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing?

Do not take your health as granted

7) How old are you?

More than 25 but below 40

I ask only for considered, honest answers.

I think imagining yourself as the fruit/veg smoothy would be much more useful. Then trying to focus on the universal implications of a shower, before reading a book about meditation. Wine of course should not be drunk, as it's basically an invite for bad energy.

This is tongue in cheek, right?

No. I'm generally pretty happy go lucky and up for challenges. I like nice things, but they don't control me. However, having the freedom to take time off, even for a weekend, is great for happiness.

No. See above.

Going into doing my own thing (well, half and half with someone else). Being able to have more control over my own career.

Tax bills.

Not there yet.

Things do go wrong. Find a way to make them right instead of wallowing in self pity.

7) How old are you?

Having recently acquired my first IP, I'm now able to answer this:

Not in the slightest.

My recent purchase more than doubled the value of property I'm holding. I settled 3 weeks ago, snagged it below market value and recent sales (in the same complex no less) suggest I'm already up about 7% on purchase price.

Happiness and wellbeing, entirely unchanged.

Thought I would have a go, here are my answers :D

Yes. I have just recently paid off my PPOR. Now me and my wife are focused on debt reduction.

Not really.

Paying off my PPOR, and finding out that my wife and I are expecting our first child in early June 2014.

The long hours I work to try and get a head financially. (50+ hours per week), but this has been done to pay down debt so we can afford to have children

N/A

6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend to SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing?
Simply enjoy the simple things in life. Enjoy the quiet times, gardening with the wife, going for walks. Take time out. Lifes too short. :)
7) How old are you?

Great thread and an interesting read.

It certainly makes you think about what your investing 'dream' is contributing.

An interesting question. I would say yes, however, Im not sure that it is entirely due to my income levels. I think I have got happier as I have got older. This is due to a number of factors. As I have become wealthier/earned more I have moved into more satisfying jobs. My security (reliance on income) has decreased which initially allowed me to care less about peoples opinion of me. This resulted in me saying what I thought more without fear of retrebution, which actually worked out that people (generally) liked what I was saying. It allowed me to be honest at work which gave me peace.
2) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your portfolio has? No. The word permanently is throwing me here. There are ups and downs. I would say generally Yes. Permanently, though?? I dont think so. 3) What's had the biggest positive, longterm impact on your happiness? I think my state of mind. I am not sure if I have always been a positive person, but I am now. I have very little stress in my life and I am calm and content. I have highs and lows, but the lows arent all that low.
4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness? Frame of mind - Recently I have been suffering some level of anxiety over the future. I have a plan/goal to be finanicially free in the next few years, and the anxiety is over "what next". I know that once I dont have to work, I wont want to. But what to do. I will likely be at that cross road where my income levels wont quite allow me to do everything I want, but will be suffient enough for me to live quite comfortably. It will be a matter of finding a balance between the two, or finding a way to continue to generate income without working.
In addition to that I have a long term girlfriend and we have been discussing children. She's all for having one, however, Im not 100% sure - and I dont know why. Its causing a bit of a 'mental conundrum' which I will solve with time and effort.
5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased? Not sure yet6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing? If money can solve a problem, its not really a problem. Dont sweat the small stuff. Get over your material needs. 7) How old are you? 31

Blacky

Great thread and an interesting read.

It certainly makes you think about what your investing 'dream' is contributing.

An interesting question. I would say yes, however, Im not sure that it is entirely due to my income levels. I think I have got happier as I have got older. This is due to a number of factors. As I have become wealthier/earned more I have moved into more satisfying jobs. My security (reliance on income) has decreased which initially allowed me to care less about peoples opinion of me. This resulted in me saying what I thought more without fear of retrebution, which actually worked out that people (generally) liked what I was saying. It allowed me to be honest at work which gave me peace.

2) Has your level of happiness permanently increased as your portfolio has? No. The word permanently is throwing me here. There are ups and downs. I would say generally Yes. Permanently, though?? I dont think so.

3) What's had the biggest positive, longterm impact on your happiness? I think my state of mind. I am not sure if I have always been a positive person, but I am now. I have very little stress in my life and I am calm and content. I have highs and lows, but the lows arent all that low.

4) What's had the biggest negative, longterm impact on your happiness? Frame of mind - Recently I have been suffering some level of anxiety over the future. I have a plan/goal to be finanicially free in the next few years, and the anxiety is over "what next". I know that once I dont have to work, I wont want to. But what to do. I will likely be at that cross road where my income levels wont quite allow me to do everything I want, but will be suffient enough for me to live quite comfortably. It will be a matter of finding a balance between the two, or finding a way to continue to generate income without working.
In addition to that I have a long term girlfriend and we have been discussing children. She's all for having one, however, Im not 100% sure - and I dont know why. Its causing a bit of a 'mental conundrum' which I will solve with time and effort.

5) Those who have reached "financial freedom", has your permanent level of happiness increased? Not sure yet

6) Any words of wisdom, insights, books, experiences, anything you recommend tor SSers to increase their happiness and wellbeing? If money can solve a problem, its not really a problem. Dont sweat the small stuff. Get over your material needs.

7) How old are you? 31

Blacky

Lime no more :)

Back