[Article] The Dark side of optimism

thanks

Cheers Spiderman,

The wife and I both enjoyed reading that article, and some of the contributors to the article who commented below.

Nice one.

Thanks, Spiderman, I really enjoyed the article, too. And I've realised I need to change my tag - I'm not an eternal optimist in the sense of always expecting great things in my environment; I expect the environment to be full of problems and opportunities and examine each challenge carefully for the hidden opportunity. Even if it's not there in the sense of being able to immediately profit, the opportunity may be a valuable learning experience. ;)

Thanks Peter, as always whatever you write or link us to is always interesting..

....and

Ozperp:
I expect the environment to be full of problems and opportunities and examine each challenge carefully for the hidden opportunity. Even if it's not there in the sense of being able to immediately profit, the opportunity may be a valuable learning experience.

Yep, works for me.

Life has thrown me every curve ball she can muster; (and some heh! :) ) and each time I grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and hit it for a six.

What I have never, ever doubted or waived my optimistic view from my gorgeous girly rose and mauve colored glasses is myself.

I bounce real good.

NB "Bounce": as not in the sexual sense, but life challenges sense:p

Last edited:
I found this article to be a load of crap. The balance between optimism and pessimism is a good idea in theory, but then so is the one of optimism and high goal setting, only to fall short, which, in my opinion, is much more important than "keeping your feet on the ground", as this article suggests.

The references to management are interesting too, as leadership and management is scenario specific....the balance is more about authoritarian vs facilitating, not about optimism, as she suggests...

I don't think there could be a dark side to optimism in it's true form. What the article talks about is people acting out of a lack of understanding or out of desperation. People are sheep and copy what others do, especially when they see them to well, they do this without contemplating any thought to what they are doing. It happens particularly in the investing market. This is not optimism! It is herd mentality and yes individuals will get hurt as a result.

People who are truly optimistic and have the right mindset will do well in any market despite interest rate rises, sliding oil prices unaffordable real estate prices....
Bulls can make money when prices rise, Bears can make money when prices fall and sheep will get slaughted! (until they take the time to LEARN bull or bear strategies and develop the right mindset).

Having spent a whole day with Dr Stephen Covey (The 7 habits of highly effective people author) organised through my work in Melbourne last month, I would consider her line of thinking a bit pessimistic/ academic jargon (jumping on the pessimistic bandwagon post subprime crisis).

Dr Covey is an institution in himself and the most widely read author on the subject of leadership and management in the living history.

The underlying quality in his opinion of a leader is to stay positive and optimistic even in testy times and hence cultivate that culture for his employees and peers. Empowerment, creativity and optimism must become the hallmark of the organisations that excel and for those that survive in very troubled times.

He was of the view that the markets evolve and change, sometimes within months (due to the nature of our markets in information age) and mostly for factors outside anyone's control and being analytical and even remotely pessimistic thinking leads to "organisational lethargy" .

The following excerpt from the article is very ordinary. and from the "industrial age" line of business thinking..

[To illustrate, Tom Peters' Leadership offers an impossible, irreconcilable list of exhortations: Be a great salesman, great storyteller, great performer, networking fiend, talent fanatic, relationship maven, visionary, profit-obsessive, and (of course) an optimist. Push your organization; know when to wait; love mess, politics, and new technology; lead by winning people over; foster open communication; show respect; embrace the whole individual. Granted, Peters does give a couple of breaks — leaders get to be angry and make mistakes. But his list is all sizzle, no steak. Not only are his executives reluctant to say no — they don't develop any of the guts of what managing is really about: making decisions under uncertainty, creating routines, developing (not merely exhorting) direct reports, responding to crises, building in enough slack to deal with low-probability but high-consequence opportunities and risks.]

Back