Asbestos roof on garage

Is this a concern?

Found a property today which we really like. Its about 30 years old but in good condition.

The detached garage however has an asbestos roof.

How concerned should I be?

I know the roof would be costly to replace and even if it was done professionally wouldn't the stuff fly around in the wind?

There's always something that stops me buying :mad:

We have an asbestos roof on one of our IP's but it's been painted and hence safe unless you drill through it or cut it. We had the asbestos gutters removed though and the asbestos removal part wasn't that expensive and was done by the company that replaced the gutters so no problem.

The IP is in an area where asbestos is really common (Sunshine Coast) so there are lots of people used to dealing with it and the locals are cool about it as it is so common. If you bought in an area where asbestos is really rare it might affect your value (and that should be reflected in the purchase price), otherwise having your garage roof painted (and therefore sealed) should be enough.

When painting asbestos sheeting I've just been very careful, wore a good mask and never scraped the old paint off. You can use peel stop and then paint over it to seal it in again.

I'd be a lot more worried if there was cut asbestos dumped in your garden like another poor forumite wrote about a while ago.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

kaf

Found a property today which we really like. Its about 30 years old but in good condition.
The detached garage however has an asbestos roof.
How concerned should I be?

Not concerned at all - asbestos is fine if you do not disturb (break, sand, saw etc) it.

I know the roof would be costly to replace and even if it was done professionally wouldn't the stuff fly around in the wind?
No - the professionals wet it down to stop exactly that from happening.

Cut it out! Use the asbestos roof as a negotiation tool to get the price down. Other potential buyers may have the same concerns - so they might accept your offer.

Aimjoy:D

I will be living in this one hence the added concern! :)

Yes will use it as a negotiation factor for sure.

I've read some info about it and it seems that weather can disturb this type of asbestos. As the stuff ages fibres can be released on their own. True?

Not sure yet if there is anymore asbestos elsewhere. That will be revealed in the building inspection.

Tiger,

Why would you replace it? .... if it's in good condition then just leave it alone otherwise get a quote to remove it. Others might have a different opinion, but it shouldn't stop you from buying the property.

Just my opinion

Martin ... ;)

I think you're right.......better not buy anything.......too risky.

Aimy

I'm a risk taker, just not with my health.

I wanted opinions as I'm not experienced at all with asbestos, never lived in a house with it.

If the roof can safely be left alone I'm happy. We will only be living there for 3-4 years.
Would a building inspection go into detail on any risks involved with the roof or just state that it contains asbestos?

I'm a risk taker, just not with my health.
I wanted opinions as I'm not experienced at all with asbestos, never lived in a house with it.
If the roof can safely be left alone I'm happy. We will only be living there for 3-4 years.

It should be fine - seal it if you are really concerned - like has been said here.

Would a building inspection go into detail on any risks involved with the roof or just state that it contains asbestos?
If it is anything like a pest report - you will get pages and pages of it :) (just like you get on termites)

Aimy

I remember speaking with a demolition guy some time ago and asked how much it would cost to remove non-friable asbestos and he quoted about 20 dollars per meter square. Even if it has gone up to $30 it still doesn’t seem like a lot of money. 20m2 may only cost you $600 to remove plus the cost of putting a new tin roof on. Use the asbestos roof as a bargaining point, get the price down a few thousand dollars and get yourself a new roof, if it is a concern.

Good Luck

The building inspection report will have pages of disclaimers and a one line on the actual condition of the roof. It's best for you to ask the guy doing your building inspection.

I ask my builder about it when he was doing the inspection and he was very clear and specific about it. As long as the roof is in good condition - leave it alone !! If it ever gets damaged, it will need to be replaced. He said that it was very common in certain suburbs.

I'm in the mids of settling a place with asbestos roof right now. Apparently the hail storm back in early Dec has damaged the roof forcing the insurance company to replace the whole roof. The visible damage wasn't severe as the tenants are living there and the insurance people only came to inspect it last week.

I'm with the rest of them. If the asbestos is in good nic, it won't be a problem. If concerned paint it. If there is asbestos on the roof, there is a good bet that the bathroom/laundry walls could be asbestos too. Again, if you don't plan on doing anything to them, it's fine.

Our PPOR is an ex-housing commission place built in the 60's-70's. I'm sure that the bathroom is asbestos, but since the walls are tiled, who knows. We also own a few in the local area & I am sure they all have some asbestos in them.

This is ex housing commission too, Campbelltown area.

The garage isn't attached to the house, may not have even been built at the same time as the house, not sure.

My brother in law has a home with a detached garage. After living in it for around 20 years, decided that he just couldn't live with the asbestos any more. So he got a contractor to remove it, roof & walls, & was left with just the fram. Then he put metal sheeting up.

perhaps this is the telling line ... perhaps if tiger changed his attitude from seeing problems to seeing opportunities.

think outside the square. try for a discount, but don't expect to get it. asbestos is commonplace and everywhere, even in older exclusive suburbs.

If its a health concern of yours, do your sums for removal and factor it in to get some peace of mind. Angelo's cost estimate of about $20/sqm removal is the upper limit to allow for and putting up a few sheets of clourbond will be a cinch.

Bargain with the agent and tell them the fibro is in poor condiiton and requires removal.

Fin.

Back