Asbestos wall?

I am planning to renovate and repaint my wall. Can anyone tell me if the above pictured wall is your typical asbestos plaster?

Unit is build circa 70s. The wall has an uneven texture. I am not sure whether this is the style or paint.

I am planning to renovate and repaint my wall. Can anyone tell me if the above pictured wall is your typical asbestos plaster?

Unit is build circa 70s. The wall has an uneven texture. I am not sure whether this is the style or paint.
looks like a stipple finish paint to me ,on a substrate that may well be an asbestos product .
heat remove the paint to get a finish you desire ,leave the substrate along and then repaint over it .no harm,no destruction ,alls well

Clean it, skim coat it with top coat, sand, paint with sealer primer (eg Dulux 3 in 1) and then paint with your usual wall paint. Big job, bit messy!

It's better but not necessarily easier- replacing the plasterboard will require that you take down the old plaster (or whatever it is) and replace the cornice and skirting (assuming there are no doors or windows in this particular wall- if there is you are up for architrave too). If you're lucky you can re-use the existing ones if you take care in removal. Putting new plasterboard over the top of the existing plasterboard is annoying as you also need to re-do the cornice and skirting.

Why do you think the wall may be asbestos? Is the rest of the house asbestos lined? What room of the house is the wall in? Can you scrape back some of the textured paint finish and have a look at what is underneath?

It's better but not necessarily easier- replacing the plasterboard will require that you take down the old plaster (or whatever it is) and replace the cornice and skirting (assuming there are no doors or windows in this particular wall- if there is you are up for architrave too). If you're lucky you can re-use the existing ones if you take care in removal. Putting new plasterboard over the top of the existing plasterboard is annoying as you also need to re-do the cornice and skirting.

Why do you think the wall may be asbestos? Is the rest of the house asbestos lined? What room of the house is the wall in? Can you scrape back some of the textured paint finish and have a look at what is underneath?

Underneath the textured paint finish is just a flat drywall. However I would not be sure if it is asbestos until I get it tested.

I am just thinking of the easier way of just putting a new plasterboard on top of the existing one. It is in one of the bedroom and living room. The wall texture in the other rooms or hallway is not as coarse compared to the bedroom and living room. Any idea how much it will cost to plaster the two rooms?

If it contain asbestos I guess it would be expensive to remove and put a new plaster in.

If it's an asbestos wall, it's going to be a grey, fibre-cement type finish. If it looks like 'drywall' (ie plasterboard), then it's likely to be either the old horse-hair/sisal plaster or more modern gyprock. If it looks like plasterboard, you don't need to get it tested for asbestos. Normally asbestos walls have joining strips (ie raised timber strips) over the joins in the boards and if you remove them to render/texture coat over that it will crack where the boards join. If there are no cover strips or cracking, then you probably have a plasterboard or solid plaster wall.

If you go to www.renovateforum.com, in the 'Asbestos in Renovations' subsection of the forum, there is a sticky thread containing a series of photos of different materials that are asbestos and non-asbestos.

Having someone come in and gyprock is fairly pricey- I have heard in the vicinity of 2k per room or 20k for a house. I do my own so not 100% certain. Skim coating is cheaper than re-gyprocking- the compounds are around $30 for a 20kg bag of dry mix and would only cost a couple of hundred to do the lot yourself.

I have scrapped through beneath the paint..it is whitish powder..I guess it is not asbestos?

I have researched online the paint seems to be verMiculite? It could contain asbestos right? What are the risk if left alone? Its in the bedroom and living room..

Would you be turned off if you see a house with walls like these for sale?

It sounds like your wall is plaster, but without seeing a photo it is hard to tell.

Apparently textured paint finishes did once contain asbestos, so it would be worthwhile having yours tested if you want to disturb it (ie pull it down and replaster the house). Or else, you could just leave it- the risk if left alone is very small and paint over the top lessens it even more as it seals the surface.

I'm about at the limit of my advice here- for more opinions, I'd post the information that you've provided here in the asbestos subforum on www.renovateforum.com with pics, including a new one of the patch that you scraped. Someone over there will have seen it before! It's an Aussie forum and they are friendly like SS :)

Back