Asbestos?

Is there an easy way to tell a house has asbestos or not? I am going to inspections and want a quick way to avoid the asbestos houses....

Also, is asbestos as bad as it sounds?

Thanks!

Well, most older houses have it.
Asbestos is not bad as it sounds.

It is safe until you dont go drilling, cutting it without proper safety measures.

As a guide, houses that were built: Before the mid-1980s are highly likely to have asbestos-containing products
Between the mid-1980s and 1990 may have asbestos-containing products
After 1990 are unlikely to have asbestos-containing products.

A few of the "blow-in " insulation products have had asbestos fibre in them which is often overlooked even up to early 2000's . If you have blow in "fluff " type insulation put a respirator on before entering the access hole the haze when you slide back the man hole cover could contain asbestos.

Most eave sheeting and board products between 1960 - 1990's are most likely asbestos. Avoiding it can be next to impossible you can have an inspection done to help identify it but if you don't plan to disturb it not a problem really . You can get an inspection done by most pre-purchase building inspectors.

I recently purchased a Property in Albury, the house was free of asbestos however the building report came back that the outside shed was entirely made up of old asbestos sheeting.

Didn't really bother me, and I discussed this with the Inspector, he said obviously in time it will need to be removed, but for now because its sealed/painted, there are no issues.

The tenant was made aware, and he didn't care and was happy for the shed to stay.

The issue's with asbestos only come once its disturbed.

Back