Asphalt Driveway repair

Hi,

I have an asphalt driveway that is showing its age, does anyone know of a coating or paint that I can use to smarten it up.

It does have some surface cracks in it and I thought I could reseal it before they get any worse.

Anyone ever had a go at it ?

Hi,

I have an asphalt driveway that is showing its age, does anyone know of a coating or paint that I can use to smarten it up.

It does have some surface cracks in it and I thought I could reseal it before they get any worse.

Anyone ever had a go at it ?

You can buy bags of asphalt from Bunnings.
Leave in the sun a few hours then fill the cracks ??.
Not a fan of painted cement and I doubt it would look good on asphalt.

You can get bitumen coatings to seal the cracks, the surface needs to be waterproof or it will fail.

Not sure of retailers, but you just need the liquid bitumen, no aggregate

Cheers
Pulse

Thanks for the suggestions, I will continue my Googling to see what I can find.

A liquid bitumen would be best as it would seal the cracks a bit more.

Keep searching :eek:

I thought I would give a summary for others :)

I eventually found a company called Transpacific Bituminous products, they make a product called Bitucolour. It is a product, that after a Lot of stirring you can roll on to the asphalt surface and it basically looks like paint.

My asphalt is about 7 years old and I think it would be best doing it every few years. My asphalt had a lot of cracks in the surface, when I tried to resurface it I was using 5 times as much as suggested.

I eventually worked out that if I add 25% thinners, stir very well and pour it on to the surface with an old saucepan then spread with a roller I got a reasonable job.

By doing it like this, the sealant ran down into the cracks and I have coloured all the previous black cracks the same colour as the surface. It does look much better although it still looks like a textured, painted surface, not great but better.

Asphalt thoughts :

Would not have it again, pay extra and get concrete.
Needs sealing at least every few years.
Thin Bitucolour so that it gets into surface cracks.
Stir regularly to keep colour even
Do in spring when not so flaming hot :eek:

Simplest, not cheapest method would be to have another 25 mm of hotmix poured on top of the existing. If you don't do anything about the current damage, then the base will erode and you will get potholes in no time.

Your alternatives will be to rip up the existing asphalt, recompact your base & lay new asphalt.

Back