ASX 3 days down in a row...correction time now?

I suppose? It would have done OK though?

If bought Jan 1990, at $4, today you'd be getting a $1.30 dividend per year, or roughly 33% yield, fully franked.

If bought Dec 1999, at $8, it would be roughly 16% yield FF.

And BHP has never reduced it's dividend in it's existence I believe? Todays price $33 or something so capital gain is also good. I hold BHP.

See ya's.

http://www.bhpbilliton.com/home/inv...ents/BHPBilliton_Ltd_Shareprice_March2013.pdf

Sorry not meaning to pick on you top cropper, but whats that term about lies and statistics.

What about BHP's share price in 1987 (who knows if they did a share split).
But in 1987 it seems as though the share price was around $10.

Factor in inflation over 30 odd years, how does the REAL return stack up????

The last resource boom occurred in the late 1980's. I remember because as a young whipper snapper in high school I got caught up in buying shares in a company called 'Greenchip'.

It showed how investing in smaller resource companies had a fantastic capital appreciation. And back then a young na?ve IV though he could just extrapolate near term historical returns into the future

I suppose? It would have done OK though?

If bought Jan 1990, .

If bought Dec 1999,

See ya's.

another point, was 1990 around the bust of the last resource boom.
Was 1999, the lull before the boom in the current resource boom.

(I know the current resource boom only started to really take off in about 2004, not the parabolic part, but the start of things)

I would be very pleased to see BHP hit 38-39. Bought 15000 at 35.77 a couple of weeks ago and 38-39 would vindicate my technical analysis which was the basis of the buy.

l reckon you'll be right for at least one more come back china. Wouldn't like to bet on next yr though :(

another point, was 1990 around the bust of the last resource boom.
Was 1999, the lull before the boom in the current resource boom.

(I know the current resource boom only started to really take off in about 2004, not the parabolic part, but the start of things)

I'd reckon the previous commodity boom started about the mid 70's and finished early 80's? Some say Japan booming was a big reason and also the oil shocks.

Dunno what BHPs share price did as a can't find info that far back.

See ya's.

l reckon you'll be right for at least one more come back china. Wouldn't like to bet on next yr though :(

I was far more worried a few weeks ago when it went down to $31 but now I can see a profitable light at end of tunnel. I think we are seeing a recovery of sorts right now with the all ords.

Yeah it was hard to tell for awhile there but finally 5k was a cert safe.
If l got caught out with that one l often use to buy a second batch at the new low, hedges the old bets but hey, it's pretty hard on the nerves though :eek:

Yeah it was hard to tell for awhile there but finally 5k was a cert safe.
If l got caught out with that one l often use to buy a second batch at the new low, hedges the old bets but hey, it's pretty hard on the nerves though :eek:

How do you calculate the new low other than hindsight?

You can see it in the charts long before usually , like today was clear 4 days ago. But not always, especially when things are so volatile like this year, patterns are flying everywhere .
Edited,,, decided to delete this part because l really stress about saying too much. If someone acts on what you say and lose well , not nice.

Last edited:
You can see it in the charts long before usually , like today was clear 4 days ago. But not always, especially when things are so volatile like this year, patterns are flying everywhere .
Edited,,, decided to delete this part because l really stress about saying too much. If someone acts on what you say and lose well , not nice.

Glad you can read your charts so well, I must be missing something as the ASX has only ranged over 12% in the last 12 months and tha VIX has been at its lowest over the last 9 years.

Perhaps you can point out less volatile years?

Hey Turk. Well l mainly just chart and trade you see. Techie guys often hate charts - but l don't usually worry about tech so :p.

Yeah l could , pretty easy but not always. The last few wks were a bit tricky and like l say you don't wanna say too much just encase but it's exactly where it read.
The whole yr has done exactly as it's read all year. Great for trading .
Have to be so careful to though this year as it's also very very touchy , everyone's got the jitters even the hardcore traders .

ps. l think tech's better at crashes bc crashing lines basically just suddenly fall off regardless of previous patterns .
Nother ps. just my 2cents , 3pm frid, very suss side move today , won't know till late Mon/tues if it's still good to go.

Last edited:
Just put in a SELL order on CBA @ $80. Aim is to sell it as I mistakenly purchased it under my ML in single name. And repurchase on the downturn in my ML setup in joint names.

I;m also looking at getting into some LIC's over the next couple weeks too!

Has anyone else bought in over the last few weeks and seeing green?

TRS is now on the crosshair too. I think I sense something with my jedi knight training

Gee BHP has been copping it.

Wonder how China has been coping?

Any reports of someone jumping off the roof of Prince Alfred?

Gee BHP has been copping it.

Wonder how China has been coping?

Any reports of someone jumping off the roof of Prince Alfred?

He also holds WOW and ANZ which is also down on his PP. I think China will hold out for at least a break even and pick up the divs along the way.

China, if you're out there, give us an update.

pinkboy

Back