At what point do you stop being a tighta$$ ?

I bought an egg and bacon roll for breakfast this morning (it's usually cereal at home for brekky) AND a coffee. The local cafe near work does a $6 combo deal.
So, I think I've officially broken the tightar$e drought!

Yep; when you go out and buy food when there is perfectly good food in the fridge or cupboard; you are officially no longer tight.

It's a tough one though isn't it; the baked beans in the cupboard, or the subway sanger?

By and large, it's people whose opinion has little value to me.
The one's that are difficult are my kids (one in particular) who seems to think I should be buying her a car, for example. She doesn't understand the concept that saving and doing it herself is a valuable life experience. I'd rob her of that if I just bought her a car.

Aaah now I hear where you are coming from - guess what kids always think you are a tight **** no matter what you do for them so I don't think it counts somehow!

Just remind them how many cars they will be able to buy when you die of old age and they inherit!

The one's that are difficult are my kids (one in particular) who seems to think I should be buying her a car, for example. She doesn't understand the concept that saving and doing it herself is a valuable life experience. I'd rob her of that if I just bought her a car.

Its tough being a parent BUT you are helping her building her character, one day she may THANK YOU as my daughter did.

my point was when you pay $10k council rates in a day, and you take your own lunch with you and drive without air con....

Im not flippant with money, but not as frugals as once was... you know when you hit that point...

my point was when you pay $10k council rates in a day, and you take your own lunch with you and drive without air con....

I totally relate to that. When we look at end of month financials and see the thousands of dollars spent on 3 businesses, 3 children and 10 properties the $200 restuarant bill or $500 dinner party we had is such a small amount in comparison, it is almost insignificant in the greater scheme of things.

There was a "licking the marshmallow" thread somewhere.... before GR turned it into a "licking the mushroom" thread :D:D

Cheers,

The Y-man

To me, the tipping point is when money stops being the most important thing.

I agree.

Would extrapolate that a little though by suggesting that the same moment should come before the time that the first dollar is even earned.

My way of thinking - Life's too short to be a tightarse; enjoy what you've got while you've got it. Getting ahead by investing is all well and good but life is about the journey. I believe that focusing on increasing income rather than reducing expenses makes a hell of a lot more sense. Works nicely for me, anyway :)

Balancing the things in life...enjoying life, your passions...it doesn't necessarily cost me dollars. There is a lot of things and stuff in my life that has nothing to do with $$, there are somethings I have and do in life that do cost $$$.

Each of us are different, my idea of a great time may not be the next person's. I've never been one to be caught up in, (or desire doodads), consumerism.

I've always been very determined to secure my own financial future/security. That has not had to come at any great cost to deter me from enjoying life. I love travelling and people and nature, that need not be hellish expensive. I am also committed to philanthropy, that also not necessarily needs to the act of handing over wads of funds and cash.

Life, for me ...is one big old funny game, I think I am adept at juggling the components of my life...I have absolutely nothing to complain about, or am in dire need of anything-but I have a huge wealth of appreciation for all the cards dealt my way and what I am continuing to create.

It's always been fun, it will continue to be fun. I will just have more financial resources and security.

I tend to look at it in terms of budgets. I have systems set up so that when money comes in it gets routed to various accounts, including savings. I give myself a monthly spending budget (which includes buying lunch and putting petrol in the cars).

Periodically the wife and I decide to do something, such as a holiday, or perhaps purchasing an appliance. When we do this, we try to get the best deal we can, and enjoy what we buy.

We're now at the point of having enough $$ coming in the door that we cna live very comfortably, while still maintaining 5 properties. As long as we move forward every year, and continue to grow our investment portfolio (which includes assets other than property), I'm happy we're on the right path.

When our investment income exceeds half our working income (which, admittedly, is quite high), and our PPOR is owned outright, we will decide where to next.

I like spending money, but not throwing it away or wastiong it.
There's nothing wrong with having nice things to make life more enjoyable.
And I doubt there's anyone here who does'nt waste money themselves while calling out "doodads" to others.
Some around here will even take it with them, and if they dont, those left behind will send it to them fast enough.

For me, if our wealth creation methods create more money than we are spending by themselves , This would be my goal.
And if for some reason we start spending more money than we are creating then we either cut back or create some more.
I have a strange mental image , of a rather large bucket full to the top of money, the funds grow and all that fall out and spills over the top of the rim is ours to spend how we like, if the bucket { so to speak } starts to empty or stops spilling over then its back to wealth creation. i hope you all understand were i'm coming from and i know its i bit odd?

I have a strange mental image , of a rather large bucket full to the top of money, the funds grow and all that fall out and spills over the top of the rim is ours to spend how we like, if the bucket { so to speak } starts to empty or stops spilling over then its back to wealth creation. i hope you all understand were i'm coming from and i know its i bit odd?

Not strange at all. I have the same mental image. Got it when I read Bill Zheng's article about making your money cup (I prefer bucket coz it's bigger) larger rather than running around trying to fill a small money bucket.

Not strange at all. I have the same mental image. Got it when I read Bill Zheng's article about making your money cup (I prefer bucket coz it's bigger) larger rather than running around trying to fill a small money bucket.

i have not read that one yet , although i did'nt think it was an original thought.
Cheers rob.

I totally relate to that. When we look at end of month financials and see the thousands of dollars spent on 3 businesses, 3 children and 10 properties the $200 restuarant bill or $500 dinner party we had is such a small amount in comparison, it is almost insignificant in the greater scheme of things.

Nicely done X.

It's all just zeros on the end eventually.

I still baulk at $200 at a restaurant though.

I can still vividly remember having to pay $600 to get my car fixed as a 19 year old, and wondering if I was going to either end up in jail and/or starving for not being able to pay my bills.

Nowadays, I hate spending that much on my car, but it's not a serious imposition.

for me part of being frugal is about caring for the environment. I really enjoy finding second hand things. Pollution and waste upsets me a lot.

I want to make my health more of a priority in my life rather than focussing on making money. You cannot ever repair the damage of stress and I would prefer to be poorer and healthier than richer and unhealthier.

That isnt to say it isnt possible to be rich and healthy but I certainly dont buy the idea of working like a maniac to have a "comfortable retirement" i.e. a very rich retirement.

So definitely I would not be a tightass if it was affecting my health. I have done in the past bought cheap food (as in cheap quality like a pie rather than buying a healthy sandwich) to save money but now I wouldnt do that anymore.

Back