ATO and AUSKey

I do my own BAS and have recently had to change over from a digital certificate to AUSkey. Took me about three goes to register for the key (system errors), and then after I get it sorted, the system still keeps failing. I get messages like:

Unexpected server error. (Error Number: A511.03)
The system has encountered an unexpected error.

Unexpected server error. (Error Number: A511.04)
The system has encountered an unexpected error.

I've phoned ATO but they keep you on hold for yonks.
Gees they bug me. Bloody time bandits.
The old digital certificate system was cr@p as well, and this seems to have had no beta testing either.

Has anyone had issues?
My June BAS is now way beyond deadline.

Oh thank god it is not just me :)

I am still having "ïssues". Luckily my accountant doesn't charge the earth to lodge for me. So I have done this for this last qtr.

I certainly hope they get it sorted soon. One of our businesses reports monthly so it looks like Tim the wonder accountant will be doing some more lodging yet.

Has anyone had issues?
My June BAS is now way beyond deadline.

I wouldn't worry, I always put my PAYG summary in 6 months late, as I am my only employee. It took 7 years before I received a threatening letter from the ATO. So the next year I put it in early and they sent me a note of thanks. Back to lodging late again, not a peep from them.

Still waiting for my Auskey after 3 months. Luckily I had renewed my digital certificate in April, so still have 18 months for them to fix the system. Lucky they have a monopoly, otherwise I would definitely change my service provider.:D

I wonder if they used the same IT crowd who are responsible for the Qld health payroll debacle?

I wouldn't worry, I always put my PAYG summary in 6 months late, as I am my only employee.

they are more aggressive with BAS. I've already had two warnings re June.
The latest is I actually had the BAS completed online, then during the final send, I get another "unexpected server error" message.

About to do my BAS this week, see if I have any problems. Can you still do it the old fashion way, on paper?

Least if your overdue long enough, you might get a real person(as far as an employee of the ATO can be) contacting you, instead of their computer generated threats.

I remember this one time, at tax camp :D, I varied my tax return, but instead of receiving a tax bill, a received a refund. Of course, being a law a biding citizen, I informed them of their error, alas I still could not convince anyone that I owed them money and needed to return the refund. After 2 months of haggling with them, I then received a payment of double the amount. I promptly asked, if I could have in writing that the matter was resolved and no further action would be taken on my file. No point arguing with what the computer says.

In the end, I figured they owed me for all my wasted time, trying to correct their mistake.

Did my last BAS with AUSKey and no probs at all.
No probs even changing over either....;)

Had some probs before though....but then I'm using a Mac and Safari did have issues but then I just use Firefox and all OK...;)

I know for myself that the tax office portal systems are extremely slow to the point that it can take between 1-6 minutes for a page request to go through, if it goes through at all.

They have acknowledged the problem on the news update but havent solved it yet.

I work in an accountants office and we have had major problems accessing the ATO portal in last 7 days. We have received messages from ATO advising there is a problem. Very frustrating. Since they did a major computer upgrade earlier in the year there have been a lot of problems but these seem to be getting worse now.

I agree with allblack, It's been this way since the ATO upgraded the computer system last year.

I upgraded from a digital certificate to Auskey today and it only took 5 minutes to do. It's Still slow but doesn't seem to drop out as much.

It makes using the tax portal very frustrating and at the end of the day costs us money and our clients......

*end rant*

JC

I had no luck with my first AUSKey... registered it on my work computer and received errors.

I tried the install on another computer however the existing AUSKey was already installed so had to request another (not transferrable once installed). With the new AUSKey I followed the exact same steps on a non-work computer and all was good. The only problem was that I could only access my info from the computer that the AUSKey was installed on, which wasn’t the end of the word, but a bit annoying.

In the end I requested another AUSKey but went with the install on USB stick option. This works well and means that so long as I have the USB stick (that has my AUSKey installed on it) then I can access my details on any computer, so long as I have the USB stick plugged in. The USB install option places a Firefox browser executable on the USB stick that must be used when accessing your details.

The USB option still doesn't work on my work computer… I'm guessing some kind of work security policy is stopping something from working.

Brett

Has anyone had issues?

Yup, big time! Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing issues with it, so I know it's not just my computer.

Usually when I try to login each month the page just won't load for me to be able to 'select account' ie. stuck in thinking mode. After a few tries it does, but then usually the next step results in an error message. Happens every month, but it's intermittent so when I go back 10mins/1 hour later or the next day it let's me in.

Once I'm in it's same as usual without problems navigating around my accounts. It's just the entry gate that seems to have the problems.

With the ATO, I'll be very patient when it comes to stuff like this - anything to avoid having to call them and play phone tag and hold for hours of my life. Going through some issues with them at the moment - those of you with businesses, wait until they pick your industry to analyse for 'benchmark' patterns. Then the fun really starts! *sigh* :rolleyes::confused::eek: (and yes I really mean all three faces!)

Yup, hopeless!

Why all the security I'll never know. If anyone wants to hack into my account and pay my taxes for me, I'll gladly provide them with my account number and password! :rolleyes:

Why all the security I'll never know.

I had a guy from the tax office drop past my office just before xmas to chat about a few interesting things; AusKey being one of them. The 'vision' at his end of the woods, apparently, was that sooner or later accountants will be lodging client returns through AusKey as well, instead of the current ELS. Makes sense, I guess, and might have something to do with the higher security.

Back