Attempted suicide by tenant

Very sad. I have recently been advised of an attempted suicide by one of my tenants in an investment property.

Will this play a role in whether you decide to lease to these tenants? I have never had an issue with these tenants before.

Are houses with stigmas registered in Australia? I believe the answer is no.

My two options are:

a) Look for new tenants. This will incurr a small cost to me due to holding cost, leasing fee etc.

b) Continue same tenants noting that if anything happens in the future (hopefully not) something like this will hurt my capital value as I am sure this might put some buyers off.

Last edited:
yeah tough one...

i mean looking for a new tenant now is a bit of a hassle. It will cost me at least a couple of thousand dollars in terms of lag time, fees etc.

i mean I didn't pry or go into the details of why it happened as it is no doubt very personal...but there are stigmas (even in this day and age) on houses where this sort of stuff happens and the long term impact may be more material...

Its really a tough decision. Best is to review the contract again, determine if there is a violation in the code of conduct in the tenancy agreement. You can also consult your solicitor regarding this. Maybe consider amending future tenancy contracts. Thanks

While I'm not looking at the financial side of things, I think its pretty rough kicking them out for something like this. I mean they're obviously going through a rough time in their life - losing there house obviously isn't going to help them sort themselves out. Especially if the other tenants/friends then blame that person for losing their house.

The other thing to remember is that people die/are found dead in houses all the time. If you do chose to terminate them, I would recommend not listing that as the reason why.

I would leave them in there because chances are the person who attempted will now get the help and attention they were seeking.

The others in the group will now be more vigilant as well.

Have they been good tenants?No issues?If so why would you not renew a lease with them?Life has unfortunate chapters and the last thing someone in this position would need is to be homeless,so to speak as well.

In NSW if the agent is aware of a violent crime which has been committed on the property within the last 5 years they are obliged to advise prospective buyers/tenants. They should be asking the question.

A neighbour suicided near us a couple of years ago - their partner kept living there for another year +, so no need to kick them out or not renew.

I would leave as is. The tenants have done nothing wrong tenant wise and on a personal side I think the best thing for the person not coping is to have stability and be around his/her friends.
Don't over think it. If the worst should happen and they die in your IP then the friends may still choose to stay there or if they move on there is no need to disclose the death.

These circumstances have nothing to do with you.

Are they:

Paying the rent?

Keeping the property well maintained?

Adhering to the conditions of the lease?
Pretty much spot on to what I was thinking... how (and why) did you find out about the attempt anyway? It's really none of your concern - you wouldn't evict a on-time-paying, good tenant if they had post natal depression after having a baby, so why would a depressed person be any different just because of an "attempted suicide"? (If you don't know details, for all you know it could have been a cry-for-help-night based off 8 Panadol all at once and a bottle of wine... hardly dangerous enough to warrant an overreaction on your behalf)

For all you know, the next tenants you get are secret, psychopathic serial killers who will violently murder someone in your house anyway.
If you were related/friends with the tenants in any way I'd say make sure they're getting professional/medical help for their own health reasons, but not for your investment's sake.
Get insurance for your investment's sake and keep your eye on the next investment move.

Not to deprecate the severity of the situation, but there are 11 attempts per actual death. I have, and I'm sure others do, know of attempts where the person suffering anguish has returned to a more fulfilling life through their own efforts and the support from friends and family.

westminster is right in that stability is crucial. If the tenants named on the lease are meeting their obligations then you have no involvement other than to check your insurance is current.

There's also plenty who attempt, and then don't ever try again.

I'd like to know how you found out? That's not something I'd usually know about being a property manager.

Also how could they be in breach of their tenancy for attempting suicide?!

If you would leave the tenants there without this new found information, I'd leave them there. Last thing someone needs while trying to get their life on track is an eviction notice..

Yes I believe that you should treat your IP as if you we're running a business, but unfortunately with residential you're also "involved" with people's lives. If it were a sob story as to why they can't pay the rent, get rid of them, but if you're suffering from depression you need a while to recoup. Plus, if you issue an eviction notice it may push said tenant over the line and they actually succeed in your property and it's backfired as well.

Personally if it did back fire I'd feel guilty, obviously there's many reasons that contribute to suicide but I'd prefer not to feel like I contributed to it.

I'm with Terry on this one. What if they succeed and actually die in your house? There goes your sale price and value. Kick them out.

I'm pretty sure attempting suicide is a criminal offence and charges could be laid.

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/bd/bd0405/05bd133

According to this it isn't..

I'm with Terry on this one. What if they succeed and actually die in your house? There goes your sale price and value. Kick them out.

Yes, but you first must issue the notice. Between then and the vacate date they could try again and succeed.

I don't think in this situation there's any winners. If you issue NTV and the tenant actually commits suicide I'd feel guilty that I may have assisted, and if you don't they might anyway..

In NSW if the agent is aware of a violent crime which has been committed on the property within the last 5 years they are obliged to advise prospective buyers/tenants. They should be asking the question.

"attempted suicide" is not a "violent crime".

attempted suicide is a problem best solved by avoiding things like labelling someone a criminal.

i would say keep them on - i know it's your investment, but if the rent keeps flowing then upsetting them further with a non-renewal may push them over the edge.

i certainly couldn't sleep at night hiding behind the excuse of "it was the right thing to do for the investment" if it happened again.

I don't think in this situation there's any winners. If you issue NTV and the tenant actually commits suicide I'd feel guilty that I may have assisted, and if you don't they might anyway..

I wouldn't worry about that. That is what PMs are paid for, to act in my best interests. Last thing I want to do is let it drag on and find a dead tenant there.

Back