Attempted suicide by tenant

People still get charged AND do time now, but it's because they're endangering others lives in the process, even if the chance of it is remote and there are no people in the vicinity, or because the method of suicide has caused significant property damage to another persons property (eg. fire/attempting to start a fire, which is arson and a serious crime).

I would be very shocked if suicide was a crime in your lifetime, but i don't know WA law, past or present.
That was in Qld

I have thought about the original Q though. If everything was going well with payments and looking after property I wouldn't be worried at all.

But if you knew your tenant would eventually kill himself one way or another and isn't doing whatever it takes to seek help, what would you do? Wait till it happens?

If you knew your tenant smoked cigarettes would you terminate the lease? Are they not potentially killing themselves - eventually? What if they don't get help and quit smoking? What if they are diagnosed with cancer and keep smoking - in your property?

No need for people to take offense and say it's stupid to think a suicide would lower values, as a very large number of buyers would be turned off by it if it did need to be publicly disclosed. It wouldn't bother me too much to buy a stigmatized home for an investment, but my partner wouldn't like to raise a family in one. But since it seems this doesn't need to be disclosed, not really relevant.

Very sad. I have recently been advised of an attempted suicide by one of my tenants in an investment property.

Will this play a role in whether you decide to lease to these tenants? I have never had an issue with these tenants before.

Are houses with stigmas registered in Australia? I believe the answer is no.

My two options are:

a) Look for new tenants. This will incurr a small cost to me due to holding cost, leasing fee etc.

b) Continue same tenants noting that if anything happens in the future (hopefully not) something like this will hurt my capital value as I am sure this might put some buyers off.

I would allow them to stay.
If you don't renew their lease this could create undue stress which might trigger another suicide attempt and if it's successful you'll then have a dead body in your property which rates higher on the stigma registry.

If they're a good tenant in all other respects I'd let them stay, without a second thought. I can't see it affecting the value of the property (who checks to see who has died in a property? It's not like every suicide is pasted over front page news).

And then there is the obvious issue of the moral integrity of shipping out someone in such a vulnerable state.

I'm surprised of the views here, Australia isn't Hong Kong with their superstitious beliefs...

I'm surprised of the views here, Australia isn't Hong Kong with their superstitious beliefs...[/QUOTE]

But a lot of potential buyers are Chinese. And there are many other superstitious cultures in the property market. Depending on the area, of course, Moreso in hurstville for example.
But yeah, who's going to know anyway? Might as well just leave them be and most likely they'll recover and be a great long term tenant.

Personally, I would renew as long as they have been good tenants.

Maybe they will want to move to get a fresh start somewhere else, and you are worying for nothing.

We had an elderly woman die, but she was kind enough to check herself into the hospital a few days previously. Her next of kin did not pay all costs as required, but because she had been a good tenant, we did not insist thru the courts.

Another tenant who we evicted, and trying to collect $5k in rental arrears thru the courts, died half way thru. Didn't bother me a bit to still try to collect from his widow. She was just as much a pain the butt.Doubt we ever will collect anything.

I'm just glad the vast majority of my Tenants have the same surname...Pty Ltd and therefore this distracting malarkey doesn't come into play.

To the OP - what was your overall goal when buying this investment ?? The only question you really have to answer is - what action will take you closer to those stated goals ??

Having been involved with many discussions to do with property, not once, never, have I ever heard people wish to buy an IP so that they may provide accomodation to people such that they may kill themselves in it.

Pop your Bank manager's hat on for 3 seconds, and you'll also have your answer.

I'm with you. This thread sure shows how heartless some can be.

It's not being heartless. It depends on a lot of factors.
Have they tried to commit suicide before?
How did they attempt to do it?
Were they 'found' before the attempt was successful?
If a person makes a genuine attempt and really wants to end their life, no amount of counseling, family intervention or medication will stop them from doing it. Usually if a person is serious about ending their life, they will do it where and when they won't be found. It's their choice and that's what they want. A call to a friend and then an attempt, is a cry for help. They are two different things. The cry for help can be helped with counceling.
As far as the property goes, I would not renew the lease. As far as being heartless, it's not. If any of you have ever seen someone who has hung themselves (and I hope you haven't) trust me, you would agree with me. Specially if they aren't found straight away. Also on the matter of the other person wanting to stay there...I don't think so. They wouldn't want to go near the place. This of course is if someone hung themselves. (currently the prefered option for suicide at the moment) Different forms of suicide carry other issues. They are not going to commit suicide because their lease was not renewed. They would have made up their minds way before you handed them any the papers.

Back