Attempted suicide by tenant

In NSW if the agent is aware of a violent crime which has been committed on the property within the last 5 years they are obliged to advise prospective buyers/tenants. They should be asking the question.

A neighbour suicided near us a couple of years ago - their partner kept living there for another year +, so no need to kick them out or not renew.

curious, is suicide considered a crime? or a violent crime? or does it depend on how you did it? eg 22 semi automatic or Sodium thiopental

curious, is suicide considered a crime? or a violent crime? or does it depend on how you did it? eg 22 semi automatic or Sodium thiopental

given that having a .22 semi automatic weapon is illegal, in aus unless special cirucmsntances. Sodium Thiopental is not illegal, its quite handy in medicine, obviously lethal in the wrong hands/dosages (ie 20mg), where as its more like 5 mg for anesthesia

technically, you are killing someone so I guess thats a crime,

obviously poor form to charge a dead person with a crime or put him on the national offenders registry when he is being buried

I am with others. Are the group "good tenants" in all other respects.

If so - leave them be - otherwise when the lease is up - get them to move out.

and then people wonder why the governmnent enacts lots of regulation protecting tennants...

I don't think you have any genuine cause for concern.

Indeed your bigger concern would be after posting this decision here and then kicking the tennant out, lets say someone put two and two together? Your tennant decides to go on and hang themselves off the outside balcony because they could not bear moving out with everything else going on in their lives.

That, I reckon would put your investment property on every current affairs program on Australian TV, except that suicide fortunately is never publisized except if it is likely to be of genuine public interest. Unless your tennant is a rock star or cricket commentator I don't think you have too much to worry about.

I have never subscribed to the old "any publicity is good publicity adage", and I think in that instance your life would become a nightmare, even putting to one side your investment properties value.

As others have said people die, in homes and elsewhere.

I could even be farcical and say someone dying in your home is good for its value. Look at a house in old parts of London or an old mansion in Toorak. These suburbs are almost certainly going to contain houses that have a solid history of many generations growing up and dying in them, quite possibly some by suicide and look at their values...

Likewise, get rid of all tenants that are old and sick because they might die soon in your treasured IP.

I am about to kick one out soon, yes. Not because she is old per se, but because she has been paying under-market rent (50% below) to the previous landlord for 15+ years.

I'm with Terry on this one. What if they succeed and actually die in your house? There goes your sale price and value. Kick them out.

One of my close friends had a tenant attempt suicide, hanging, they succeeded, reason -relationship break up.

It was his principal property and he was overseas when this happened.

This was the first time he had ever rented it out, not very nice situation.
No impact whatsoever on sale price, who really gets to know this stuff, very rarely is this information disclosed in papers etc. Perhaps a murder may be a different story.

MTR

I attended a colleagues funeral on Tuesday and unfortunately it was a result of suicide. I'm pretty bummed I never got to know the bloke better and could have maybe helped. If they are good tennants why not let them stay and offer some form of support. You never know, a helping hand from a stranger might be all they need to move on from this. I know the pm has the landlords best interest at heart but I'd be gutted if I knew someone did that when I could have possibly helped.

I think this is one of the "screw the money" moments.

While we are all in this to make a dime - we also need to occasionally act with some heart.
Provided that they are good tenants in all other ways. Let them be - they have enough crap to deal with at the moment (both the person who attempted and the others who have to deal with it).

Even if you are planning on selling in the near future (doesn't sound like it), I would be surprised if it affected the selling price at all. In 12 months time everyone will have forgotten anyway.

If they are good tenants, leave them be and rest peacefully knowing you are doing what you can to assist them in what would be a very difficult time. Even if maybe it will have some minor negative impact on you in the future.

Blacky

I dont know about other states but in SA:

At the end of the tenancy a landlord is responsible for:

organising a final property inspection
releasing or claiming the bond.

You cannot end an agreement solely because of a tenant’s:

marital status
children
health - eg physical or intellectual disabilities
mental health
race.

This is discrimination and carries a maximum fine of $1000. The Equal Opportunity Commission Open in new window have information specifically for landlords about discrimination.

I suggest you look at the relevant local laws, polices and acts before you make any decisions.

I dont know about other states but in SA:

I suggest you look at the relevant local laws, polices and acts before you make any decisions.

far out!

soon it will be

You cannot kick a tenant out even if he is 6 months behind, as that is discriminating against his personal spendng/saving habits

You cannot kick a tenant out if tried to kill you, as that is discriminating against his prison/parole record:D

Discrimination laws are very scary for choosing tenants as well. You need to be careful about that too.

But back to the matter at hand. There is looking after your investment and looking after your investment. The person has done nothing illegal or wrong. They have breached no tenancy agreement, none of the other tenants have either.

Leave them be

This is personally hard for me to understand why anyone would be so callous. But then my family has gone through the pain of having a sibling commit suicide in the past 12mths - and yes it was at a rental. Her partner has continued to live there so he can feel close to her.

Usually its not good form to kick someone when their down, but an investment is an investment.

Heartless!

Screw the investment its just a bit of money (and its not even money, its just 'value'). You've made it once you can make it again.

Give the poor Bas*ards, who are going through hell at the moment, have a chance of coming out the other end.

I couldn't sleep at night kicking people while they are down just to save a few $$.

"the true measure of a person is the extent to which they help someone - when that someone cannot repay them"

Sleep well.

Blacky

Give the poor Bas*ards, who are going through hell at the moment, have a chance of coming out the other end.

That's what they say when they don't pay you rent. Maybe you can try that with the Bank too, see if they'll give you interest-free loans because you are suicidal?

That's what they say when they don't pay you rent. Maybe you can try that with the Bank too, see if they'll give you interest-free loans because you are suicidal?

In times of hardship even the banks will sometimes help you out. My friend lost his job and his bank has agreed to put his home loan repayments on hold for 6mths. Yes he'll still be accruing interest but he's been given a breathing space until he finds a new job.

In times of hardship even the banks will sometimes help you out. My friend lost his job and his bank has agreed to put his home loan repayments on hold for 6mths. Yes he'll still be accruing interest but he's been given a breathing space until he finds a new job.

As you say, it's not the same thing. The bank has security over your home, 20% buffer in most cases - which can last over a year if need be. You, as a landlord, have one month's rent as a bond in case of default. Chalk and cheese.

Back