ATTN Stingray

I think the mods would like to ban any who question the SS model so one needs to be a bit careful, and have a very thick skin, to be Devil's Advocate here.
I don't see a problem,all he or she?? has to do is just comeback under a new name,not that that's a problem..lol..willair..

i'm similar to quoll ... he was covering old ground that had been discussed and, to a large degree, the extremes he was touting had been discredited.

i just didn't read him anymore because it all became "been there, discussed that" and felt he was offering nothing new but a stubborn inability to view other opinions.

didn't require banning tho - unless of course he was posting incognito and was one of those who had been stubbornly round and round before.

Isn't Stingray just Max Carnage, Foundation, and al those other names he has been under? Shadow usually spots him pretty well straight away.

I can't see what he's done wrong? I have seen far worse on this forum.

i can understand banning trolls, but banning people who espouse a different view of the world... well there goes the quality of discussion. if you don't have people around to challenge your assumptions how are you going to refine your understanding?

the fact that you aren't even allowed to MENTION g h p c in this forum seems pretty bizarre to me. property bulls typically get hammered hard over there but at least people are able to talk about ss (usually in a non-flattering manner, i admit). i found this site through that site and i have learned a lot more about the housing market, the house-purchasing process, etc.,etc. as a result. i didn't think this whole thing was about choosing sides...

if people didn't want to read stingray's posts--or my posts, for that matter--its the easiest thing in the world to scroll down past them.

its a shame not simply because stingray was banned but because this lowers the level of debate and puts others off of making thoughtful contributions.

if all you want is an echo chamber, why make a forum at all? just send yourself reassuring emails all day long. it will have the same effect in the end.

OK some reasons perceptible to me:

1) few posts history but very opinionated contributions en masse (within a short time) along the way of controversial issues already discussed in past threads leading some forumites to query agenda or cover of other personalities (eg Max Carnage). His/her confident reference to statistical sources point to a seasoned frequenter to SS.

2) add little to previous threads on rehashed topics such as Demographia statistics, integrity and appropriateness of debt income ratios, international comparisons, revisions of views of global economic institutions eg IMF. However, one-sided usage and interpretation of statistics only reinforce spam-like purpose behind contributions

3) challenged by some forumites for any reason of continuing (in almost hysterical outbursts) but did not respond or take stock of posting style. The style was beginning to advance perceived personal agenda (pushing public psychology toward the downside so that it becomes self-fulfilling) than contributing to forum knowledge

IMHO :)

Gee that describes half the posters on this forum. This is pathetic. What are we China???:mad:

its a shame not simply because stingray was banned but because this lowers the level of debate and puts others off of making thoughtful contributions.

if all you want is an echo chamber, why make a forum at all? just send yourself reassuring emails all day long. it will have the same effect in the end.

Hi Urchin

I agree with the sentiment but it does get a bit tiring when people discover SS from g**c and come across with a full on set of repetitive opinions about how property must crash etc etc.

The scenarios have been discussed at length and if anyone performed even the most basic of searches on SS they'd find detailed discussions about the topics often at a level of analysis exceeding g**c.

I'd say a lot of the old hands are plain bored with it and it reminds me of students who come up with a great new idea. Usually well researched previously by others but with the new student because of their limited experience and excitement, their enthusiasm overrides some basic background research.

There are a core of people here who have a strong interest in the economics, cycles and all the other macro-analysis. They are in the minority though as most use property simply as a wealth medium making their money by buying well, adding value, managing risk and simply use time and compounding as their wealth vehicle.

If you want to discuss the macro-economics in detail without resorting to constant rhetoric then those who are interested will engage in debate there I am sure. But the tolerance of everybody is tested by poorly informed debate and the failure to agree to disagree.

This forum is a much more polite and tolerant atmosphere than others and the mods do a great job in keeping it that way. :)

I for one prefer that to the abuse that presents at g**c when their view of the world is questioned.

Looking forward to more insightful and polite debate.;)

Cheers

Shane

PS By the way I have never reported a post

I agree with the sentiment but it does get a bit tiring when people ..... a full on set of repetitive opinions about how property must crash etc etc.
Excellent post Shane... reflects my feelings.

The other gripe I have is sources - I think you can tell a lot about a poster by the sources they quote.

And it's not tiring when people have a full-on set of repetitive opinions of why property is going to continue to do well?

In my opinion, the whole argument is mostly a waste of time. No one knows, including all the "experts" that people read, the property market will do what it will do, some will win, some will lose, and life will go on. Why get all beaten up arguing about what's going to happen and why?

It's not like winning the argument will have any effect on what actually happens.

GP

And it's not tiring when people have a full-on set of repetitive opinions of why property is going to continue to do well?

In my opinion, the whole argument is mostly a waste of time. No one knows, including all the "experts" that people read, the property market will do what it will do, some will win, some will lose, and life will go on. Why get all beaten up arguing about what's going to happen and why?

It's not like winning the argument will have any effect on what actually happens.

GP

I couldn't agree more.

GP

Agree. Arguing over what might happen in the future is pointless because no-one actually knows although some think that they might know.

Don't really care either way, but just some insight:

The first thing I ever saw of Stingray was a PM to me asking what my personal LVR was. I thought, Who is this guy? and looked up to his profile summary and noted Zero posts.

So what sort of member joins a forum and PMs a few of the more established members asking their personal details before making a single post?

Then I read some of his stuff and note his D&G style and his prevailing argument that if you've got an LVR over 60% then all your equity is going to be wiped out. NOW I know why he wanted to know my, Karina and others LVRs. So he could tell us how misguided we are...

Whatever. Don't care either way. From where I stand he/she didn't look like they were going to add much to the forum that we didn't already have in spades.

Cheers,
Michael

This forum is about like-minded investors helping one another on the journey to financial freedom.

Lately too many bitter **** trolls have flooded the board and contributed nothing but regurgitated the same thing over and over again.

Now with interest rates racing towards record lows, I see nothing but blue sky ahead. I'd say in about 12 months time my portfolio will be cf+ (with the expected IR cuts and rent increases), and I expect most forumites will be in a similarly strong positions, too.

In the past I have been a regular visitor to GCPh and as soon as I start arguing a point (politely), my user name is deleted. Not taking no for an answer I return with a new username and then argue my point only to have my account deleted again.

In that forum they can say to you "i hope you burn in hell for your evil specufesting" "you deserve all the misery in the world and I hope you lose all your money"etc and know one questions them. They are slightly delusional people and for instance will honestly believe they will be buying a house in double bay for 200k next year after the market has come off 80%.

Typically the people there are bludging at home with Mum and Dad, dont get out much, have missed out on asset price increases and generally expect that they should own a house and wont work hard to get a reasonable deposit. They are very bitter and regularly sh@# can this forum because of their jealousy.

The first thing I ever saw of Stingray was a PM to me asking what my personal LVR was. I thought, Who is this guy? and looked up to his profile summary and noted Zero posts.

So what sort of member joins a forum and PMs a few of the more established members asking their personal details before making a single post?

Cheers,
Michael

Hey, that's pretty crook then. How rude.
I suppose he/she would take the info back to 'world home cost drop' forum and brag out the info.

I take back what I said earlier then. Banned.

See ya's.

GP

Hi GP

Its boring for all manner of discussions if people bang on about the same thing over and over.

:(

However as you well know, the investment climate is variable and there are more opportune times to pursue certain strategies be they buy, sell or hold any asset class. Perhaps you find that boring because you have the experience or mindset and method that has intuitively made that decision. Perhaps not, who knows the future?

I know for myself, that staying informed and discussing the data and ideas with other like minded people helps in my thought processes and helps me formulate my own investment path peculiar to me. Often data sources are presented that I am not aware of, or information is presented in a way that makes me analyse its implications in a different manner.

I don't care if that data or point is presented by a bull or a bear.

Perhaps if you find the whole economic discussion boring you could choose to avoid the economic section. Personally I feel the only reason to ban someone is abuse or repetitive rudeness.

Cheers

Shane

Now with interest rates racing towards record lows, I see nothing but blue sky ahead.
I think one needs to think about why interest rates are dropping as fast as they are. It's not just to keep a pile of property investors happy.

Celebrating tumbling interest rates at the moment is a bit like cheering the arrival of the four horsemen of the apocalyse because the extra horse manure will be good for your garden.

GP

I think one needs to think about why interest rates are dropping as fast as they are. It's not just to keep a pile of property investors happy.

Celebrating tumbling interest rates at the moment is a bit like cheering the arrival of the four horsemen of the apocalyse because the extra horse manure will be good for your garden.

GP

Really? i would of thought that a secure job coupled with the lowering of interest rates would be a good thing for cashflow. i must be wrong.

Its boring for all manner of discussions if people bang on about the same thing over and over.
Exactly my point. And IMO, the "banging on" has certainly not been restricted to the D&G point of view.

if you find the whole economic discussion boring you could choose to avoid the economic section
I don't find economic discussions boring at all, and indeed when I see a thread degenerating into the same old arguments between the same old people I do tend to skip messages or give up on the thread.

However, as mentioned above, my point was just that both sides of the debate have been subject to a bit of banging on, and that ultimately it's pointless to try and win such a debate anyway.

Certainly though, the presentation of new and useful information and ideas are beneficial to all.

Cheers,
GP

Back