Australian Rugby

I think from last night's total demolition of the Wallabies, it's clear they need a new coach and a new direction. The last 6 years have yielded mediocre results and lowered the profile of rugby in this country. I think Ewen Mckenzie will be the next coach...

I really enjoyed last nights game, as I did the first one. The second game in Melbourne was boring, yet was the match we won.

We just weren't good enough, that was obvious, and were outplayed from start to finish. But in theory, we shouldn't really win too often when playing the best side put together from the best of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland? Even though we won 12 years ago.

See ya's.

The last 6 years have yielded mediocre results and lowered the profile of rugby in this country.

So Deans is gone... after 5 1/2 years and 74 tests (43 wins / 29 losses / 2 draws) - a winning percentage of 58%.

Personally I think he's a victim of (a) being a NZer, and (b) Australia's proximity to NZ at a time when the All Blacks are ridiculously strong (the ABs B-side of the last few years would have taken care of most international sides, most of the time).

In 18 tests against the ABs under Deans, the Wallabies only won 3 times.

Take those 18 tests out of his record, and Dean's winning % as a coach jumps to 71%.

I understand there are some suggestions of a dysfunctional culture within the Wallabies - and that, in truth, could well be his greatest failing as a coach.

But 71% (ex ABs) isn't a bad record - considering Rugby in Australia has a lot more competition for players than Rugby in NZ does (it's institutionalised fanaticism in NZ).

Hi Mark

How goes the land of the long white cloud ? Still in invercargill ?

I'm not a fanatical rugby follower but my son Stephen is . He'll be jumping for joy. He likes the red's style and has been a Ewan McKenzie fan for several years.

Cliff

Off on a tangent kinda but here is the opinion of a neutral Aussie who is a passionate soccer supporter, this was my first live rugby game.

The Aussie fans should be ashamed of themselves. I have never seen such an apalling effort at supporting your team and this was the national team!!! I was really beside myself as the Lions fans chanted and sang all game while Aussie fans just sat there.

As much as Australia got demolished on the field, the Aussies got smashed in the stands as well and if you don't think that matters, let me remind you that the fans probably got Australia over the line when we played Uruguay in the World Cup qualifiier many years ago now.

It does matter and Aussie Rugby fans have a lot to learn about supporting a team.

So Deans is gone... after 5 1/2 years and 74 tests (43 wins / 29 losses / 2 draws) - a winning percentage of 58%.

Personally I think he's a victim of (a) being a NZer, and (b) Australia's proximity to NZ at a time when the All Blacks are ridiculously strong (the ABs B-side of the last few years would have taken care of most international sides, most of the time).

In 18 tests against the ABs under Deans, the Wallabies only won 3 times.

Take those 18 tests out of his record, and Dean's winning % as a coach jumps to 71%.

I understand there are some suggestions of a dysfunctional culture within the Wallabies - and that, in truth, could well be his greatest failing as a coach.

But 71% (ex ABs) isn't a bad record - considering Rugby in Australia has a lot more competition for players than Rugby in NZ does (it's institutionalised fanaticism in NZ).
The problem with the stats is they don't show the full story. He does have a winning % and as you point out it is a really good one if you don't count the AB games. Personally I think Deans has actually done quite a bit for Aussie rugby and we now have the makings of a good team with good depth.

However, there are some glaring issues.

1: The players just never seem to put in a full 80 minutes. Or if they do they don't show up the next week. They are inconsistent in the extreme.
2: Their basic skills are lacking. The amount of dropped ball I have seen over the last 6 years is phenomenal. It's all well and good having the flashy plays and star players who can work magic but eventually you need to pass or catch the ball and if half the blokes can't be counted on to catch the darn thing what's the point.
3: There has always been major inconsistency in positions. Injuries have played a part of course but it is also Deans' culture. Players can't settle into places and combinations if they are forever being jostled around to try to find that silver bullet.
4: Their mental game has gone down the gurgler. They panic and fall to pieces as soon as pressure is applied.
5: The scrum. Need I say more?

In my opinion all of the above points are directly attributable to the coach.

Deans brought a team that needed rebuilding a long way but he seemed at a complete loss as to how to bring them that last bit that would make them a truly world class team. Can McKenzie do it? Who knows.

I agree - poor skills, seeming lack of strategy and passion, kicking the ball away to the opposition with minimal pressure.

It looks to me as if a lot of the forwards simply aren't match fit. Look at them - professional athletes with 'beer bellies'! And if your pack doesn't dominate, you won't get far in rugby.

Folau comes in as a debutant and shows them all up - something must be wrong!!

I don't understand the crowd behaviour here either. There's dead silence most of the time and the supporters only seem to come to life when there's a dash up field on a line break. They all need to sit in the stands at millennium stadium when Wales are playing the six nations.

I don't understand the crowd behaviour here either. There's dead silence most of the time and the supporters only seem to come to life when there's a dash up field on a line break. They all need to sit in the stands at millennium stadium when Wales are playing the six nations.

So what Aussie wants to sing all flippen game anyway? I'd rather have a beer and watch the game.

See ya's.

So what Aussie wants to sing all flippen game anyway? I'd rather have a beer and watch the game.

See ya's.
Exactly.

I think the difference here is generally speaking the game is worth watching for its own sake and doesn't need the crowd singing songs to make it fun and interesting. Where as in the northern hemisphere if you can even manage to see the game through the rain and fog all you see is the backs standing around doing nothing while the forwards pick and drive a foot at a time.*

*For those that missed it, my tongue is firmly in my cheek and the above is nothing more than a friendly jibe at our northern cousins. :D

Back