Australian "service" up the clacker

I walked into a bank in thailand and a very attractive lady sat us down, got us a glass of water until we were seen. This would be a miracle in australia.

The service in thailand why I believe it is superior is the amount of staff along with a friendly culture.
The bigger the smile Dan the more they are planning to rip you off. No-body can be trusted in thailand not even close family.

I have done banking in the phillpines, the way they do stuff has to be seen to be beleived, wait in que for 30 min, talk to some-one sit down , repeat 5x, for a simple small withdrawl. Made P200,000 withdrawl once in Makati was given it in P100 notes a big pile of money put up on the counter and it wouldnt fit in my bag, had to stuff my pockets chocker block and stuff some in my underwear. wouldnt give larger denominations or a bank cheque. I had a bank account at a different bank in the PI the money disappeared, the bank stole it, they said it was a fee for having an inactive account, and there is nothing you can do about it. At least in Australia there is an ombudsman. I am not complaining, it is the incredibly poor service and the enexpected that make these places interesting to live in , every morning you wake up you never know what mind blowing, inefficiecy or stupity you will come across, but you know there will be something. So you only get a class of water, at my bank in aus I get coffee, and it isnt a miracle. I have done renovations in the PI, and getting anything done on time or to a half acceptable stantard is impossible even getting labourers to use a cement mixer, instead of a piece of tin and some shovels is impossible. The idea in the PI is to make a job last as long as possible, and to employ as many people as possible and rough enough is good enough. If some-one has a birthday they will just not turn up for work, even if they are a Ferry captain and leave hundreds or even thousands stranded and missing important appointments. I had a buisnees importing wind chimes jewllery and corbells but all the silly little hassles with suppliers, banks , ports and container hire( bribes) make it too much hassle to be worth while. One pleasant experience doesnt mean all asia is light years ahead of Australia in service.

Made P200,000 withdrawl once in Makati was given it in P100 notes a big pile of money put up on the counter and it wouldnt fit in my bag, had to stuff my pockets chocker block and stuff some in my underwear.

...and that is a very good reason why handling your affairs electronically is a very good idea.... :eek:

I don’t think it’s a case of racism but a combination of historical factors and national character. Having lived centuries under despotic and/or colonial rule, many people in SEA look at the powerful and wealthy with a mix of awe, fear and hate, so rather than confront they will choose sneakiness and underhand behaviour. Somehow that's their non-violent way to defend themselves, otherwise they would erupt into irrational violence.
Thais pride themselves on being the only country in SEA that was never under colonial rule or occupied (they say the Japanese were invited in) so it's hard to apply your theory which is more applicable to neighbouring country's like Viet Nam, Laos and Cambodia.

No-body can be trusted in thailand not even close family.
It's true that nobody can be trusted in Thailand even if you think they can. They have more patience than you or I and can play a real long game which they call the long con. Sad but true.

Last edited:
Suddenly Australia is looking pretty good ... at least I now have options.

Actually, SEAsia is one area that has never been on my "to see" list ... I have never had any desire to go there. This only makes me more dis-inclined.

Actually, SEAsia is one area that has never been on my "to see" list ... I have never had any desire to go there. This only makes me more dis-inclined.

I'm a bit surprised at what people have said about Thai people's attitudes but I will take their word for it since I never go there. I go to Malaysia quite often and I must say that the service there is lousy, not because they are liars but because the ethnic Malays are just so slow!!! Very, very frustrating to do any sort of business.

I'm with you Lizzie.

Many Australians like going there but unless you have relatives I suggest you don't even bother. The whole SE Asia region is chaotic except for Hong Kong. Speaking particularly of Malaysia, the residents there are afraid of being robbed by illegal immigrants and the whole country is even more welfare dependent than Australia but they have an ingrained constitutionally-endorsed discriminatory regime.

Perhaps i have an advantage being married to a thai. Frankly I can't believe what I am reading on this thread. The thread was about service relating to lizzies building experiance. If there was money involved in thailand to receive a service, especially a major expense as a house then you would get a phone call back and not wait around for weeks on end with no return call.

I have been able to get everyday things done even with a bit of a languge barrier and mostly it s a bit of a laugh whilst in thailand.

Its a poor state of affairs to believe if someone smiles at you then they are up to so trickery. I would prefer a smile anyday (with being called a monkeys bum) to having no service at all from shops in aus where everyone is too busy or rude to assist.

Haggling is a big part of the game in thailand so if you dont follow by the rules and pay the first price then you are going to look like an ***.

I knew I was being ripped off when I went to China but it was done with a smile and it was still cheap when compared to aus prices so whats the big deal. Where I do have a problem is in places like India where the the ripping off is rife and the rudeness is blatantly obvious and continuous.

You guys are looking at this all wrong. You are measuring service to you being a local in aus where you know all of the rules and regulations and then comparing how YOU would/are be treated in a foreign country where presumably you do not know all of the rules, regulations and customs. A fair way to judge it would be a local in aus and a local in thai and see the difference in service. I can see both because my wife and her family are/ have been locals there. When my wife moved here everything was incredibly difficult for her because all the rules had changed.

When my wife moved here after uni everything was different. Places where you would have top service in thailand was non-existant in australia. For instance catching a train in the aus suburbs you can go to the platform and there will not be a guard or stationmaster at all. Nothing. This simply isnt the case over there.

In thailand there is a Genuine respect for their elders. This is passed on to the general community. This doesn't happen in aus, the shop assistant doesn't care who you are. Decades ago this was different here. Here is aus we throw our old folks in nursing homes. This simply doesn't happen in thailand. The way I look at it is service is a part of the culture. If you have a culture which is based on respect then that will flow through to all areas.

I travel with Qantas all the time for work and their service is generally poor. Travelling on any of the asian airlines the service is markedly improved.

I haven't set up a business overseas however the thread wasn't really about that.

My favourite is when the girls call you "dahk ling" which sounds like "darling" but really means monkey's arss (Issan).

Occasionally i will say "poot thai mai dai" (พูดภาษาไทยไม่ได้) which means "I cannot speak Thai" and throws them off because they're not sure how much you really know. But sometimes it's better to play the 2 week millionaire tourist and not speak any lingo. It all depends on the situation and where you are.

So a foreigner who cannot speak english in australia will be showered with service. Is that your comparison.

I turned around and walked straight back out without saying a word. I dont do business with people i dont like.

We are the same with our business. I would prefer to pay a little extra and deal with someone who we like, trust and know what we are getting

My favourite is when the girls call you "dahk ling" which sounds like "darling" but really means monkey's arss (Issan).

What sort of service are you receiving where the girls are calling you darling?

If you want to compare apples with apples.

See what happens when you say you have no money and business isn't going well so it looks like you might have to cut back the orders. The service will dramatically change and so will people's reaction to you. Money talks in SE asia.

I didn't know it was that bad over there. The service received back here in aus actually improves when you have no money to pay for your stock, or coffee, or mechanic to fix your car.

Hi

I've been going to Thailand since 1990 and I have experienced good service and bad service.

Once I had to get the internet connection in my apartment in Bangkok and a technician came over and put the line in. I offered him a drink and some food and he refused. After he left I checked it and the net still wasn't working so I called him on his mobile and he said he would come back. He had already left the building and was viritually back at the office but he came straight back. It turned out to be a simple router problem which was my fault but he fixed it anyway. I offered him a tip of 500B which is probably 2 days wages - but he refused it.

This was with the Thai equivalent of Telstra - it would have taken weeks to get them back here.

Can't really think of any times I received bad service - other than seeing the staff laying around while on duty.

If you want something done around the house such as cleaning, repairs etc you can find people very quickly. If you want to go on a drive to Korat, say, 2 or 4 hours away you can find someone with a car willing to drive you for $30 or so very easily.

But we must remember that Thailand is a 3rd world country and should not expect things to be up to our standards in all cases. Education is poor and there is widespread cheating in exams - see the recent police academy exams where about 160 were caught. Corruption is widespread - extremely widespread. It is open knowledge that some politicians pay 500 to 1000B for you to vote for them.

Even though it is a third world country many things are superior to Australia. Look at the train system in Bangkok for example - Australian trains are 3rd world compared. The hospitals are 1st class (for the rich people, the poor ones are terrible). The shopping malls are amazing - why are there so many though?

I have never experienced racism there really. Central Thais look down on the Northeasterners as being backways, the NE people look down on the Lao, Burmese and Khmer etc but being a westerner you are instantly perceived as being rich so are looked up to.

I will be back in a few weeks as I am attending a wedding in Korat - luckily not my own!

*** back to the builder ***

He just rang, chatting as if nothing had happening. Said my quote was ready if I wanted to make an appointment ... told him I wasn't available until next week (which I'm not).

Wondering if he's only being nice because he read my productreview.com.au blog and will give me a face to face blast or beg?

Regardless - we've moved on.

So Dan let me get this right.

1. It is ok to rip someone off as long as it is done with a smile;
2. Calling someone a monkey's bum is ok as long as it is done with a smile
3. Ripping someone off is ok as long as it isn't rife and obvious
4. Dual pricing strategies are ok as long as you know how to play the game

Interesting

So Dan let me get this right.

1. It is ok to rip someone off as long as it is done with a smile;
2. Calling someone a monkey's bum is ok as long as it is done with a smile
3. Ripping someone off is ok as long as it isn't rife and obvious
4. Dual pricing strategies are ok as long as you know how to play the game

Your wife has taught you well.

I don't see it as being ripped off. Very rarely have I paid well and above what locals would pay.

In some instances I agree with locals going to national parks and museums cheaper than tourists. I would like to see a locals pass introduced in Sydney to encouage locals to go to museum and the like.

I cannot recall being called darlink. It is not a common phrase at the places I frequent whislt over there.

Westerners are probably seen as an opportunity and have money in many se asian countries.

I can go out in bkk and have a wonderful meal, wonderful service and spend a fraction of the cost I would pay in aus.

Recently i was in perth and had a work paid dinner which was expensive and absolute garbage. I complained about the poor quality of the food even though it wasn't my money and all I got was a shrug of the shoulders.

Back