Australia's 10 best paid jobs

I checked it out and yes, there has been a big increase in the number of degrees over the last 10 years, although still a stretch to say the average person has a degree I think. Us degree people are biased because we mainly hang out with other degree qualified people.

The point is that with so many more people with degrees, the value of the degree diminishes. More nurses/lawyers/accountants means less pay per nurse/lawyer/accountant.

The nature of their job is that they are on call for emergencies at not-so-nice hours. I would've happily done shift work when I did maths tutoring but sadly no one requires mathematical help at 12am in the morning.
Pretty funny!

I'll make sure I remember to call up my wife next Wed at 1.00am while they are finishing off the pediatric orthopedic list....she'll get a laugh out of that one.

Let's just hope one of those poor kids who's been waiting all day for their broken arm to be fixed doesn't get trumped by a AAA, or emergency Cesar, or a math's tutor who has a ruptured appendix at midnight while he's in bed....bad luck if you've had a big dinner....not good for the anesthetic.

Good health to you.

Last edited:
The point is that with so many more people with degrees, the value of the degree diminishes. More nurses/lawyers/accountants means less pay per nurse/lawyer/accountant.

True.

It would be interesting to know the stats on the increase per degree type. I would suspect the increase the census reports would be more in IT, Engineering, etc (esp when you consider skilled migrants) and less so than Nurses. Pure guess though.

Out of interest, I found some data backing up the 'aging' nursing workforce:

The average age of employed nurses was 44.3 years (43.1 years for males and 44.5 years for females). Non-clinicians were, on average, slightly older than clinicians (46.4 and 44.1 years, respectively).

The age profile of the nursing population has shifted toward older age groups over recent years. In 1999, the 40–44 years age group included the greatest number of nurses of all the age groups. By 2009, it was the 50–54 years age group that included the most nurses.

http://www.aihw.gov.au/nursing-midwifery-workforce/ and http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.go...10468&dbid=AP&chksum=VpFFv+7sBuKgS0u4y4+m4A==

That stat to me is a sign the profession is very unappealing for newcomers.

Where are we going to be in 7-10 years time when all those 50-54 year old nurses retire, the most dominate age group? Ouch!

(Well, they will probably increase the retirement age :)).

2. Nursing Unit Managers (i.e. the best expected career peak for a nurse, if they are one of the lucky few) will still not be exceeding 80k-ish base (i.e. top notch nurse, 20 years experience, etc).

Where do I start? You're wrong on sooo many points... I won't even bother to cover them except for a couple.

Unit manager is NOT the highest level - they are L3 which there are a few 'types' of, and earn much more than that. The levels have their own increments too.

What level and increment is your GF? Sounds like she hasn't reached her highest increments on level 1. Private is slightly less but it's not that significant. I believe it's like that with teachers too.

Why doesn't she move if she is unhappy with pay and conditions (still not sure what the poor conditions are that you mention - busy, starts 15 minutes early, can't surf SS?)

UM's are not the lucky one's either. There are many roles and positions apart from that one at the same level. Gain a bit of experience
and the jobs are there for the taking.

In my workplace anyone that wants to be a level 2 can apply and get that level status granted, with the pay included, simply by submitting a letter stating why they should recieve it. True!

Where I work the MAJORITY earn 100-110K too... but some more, others less if doing M-F or part time.

That isn't an argument.
You threw in the glib line.

Just putting it into perspective.

So, what's the argument then?

So; it's ok for folk like yourself and others here to wave off the whole bunch as whining sooks who should simply move on to another job if they feel blighted (and they don't by the way), but it's ok for you to be rushed to the hospital when you have an emergency and be sorted immediately.

Yep, right. Got it.

As I said; pay anyone whatever you want, what ever you see fit; just make sure our emergency folk are kept in that loop.

2. Nursing Unit Managers (i.e. the best expected career peak for a nurse, if they are one of the lucky few) will still not be exceeding 80k-ish base (i.e. top notch nurse, 20 years experience, etc).

Same same with teachers (principles on 75k-ish) and cops. The starting wage isn't too bad, but the lawyers/accountants/IT types will overtake them after 5-6 year experience.

Perhaps the different states have vastly different pay scales for these jobs but these figures seem too low. I have family and friends in these jobs and we have often discussed income. School principals earn a lot more than $75k in NSW. Cops too. A cop with 20 year's experience (say, a senior constable) has a base pay of around $90 000. The higher ranks earn well inexcess of $100 000 base pay. I have a friend who is a nursing unit manager and she also earns over $100 000 pa.

Yeah the US is screwed in that way. It's due to all the suing.

No, it's not because of all the suing.

Sellers of healthcare services (e.g. pharmaceutical companies and medical equipment/device sellers) have greater power to set their own prices in the US than they do in other countries. Governments in other countries negotiate more, lowering the end price. Almost every prescription drug and medical procedure is more expensive in the US than in other developed countries. Because of this, the US government spends more on healthcare than any other OECD country.

Why did they allow this to happen? First, these companies are so large and powerful that they have congress eating out of their hands. Secondly, a common justification is that having such a profitable industry encourages research and investment, keeping America at the frontier of medical innovation.

One of the reasons Obama was so keen to bring in universal healthcare, besides the obvious reason of wanting all Americans to have access to healthcare regardless of income or insurance, is because universal healthcare would actually cost the government less than their current system.

It's going to be difficult for the US to make the transition to universal healthcare given how corporatised their current system is. I don't think big pharma is going to like being told that prices will henceforth be negotiable.

Perhaps the different states have vastly different pay scales for these jobs but these figures seem too low. I have family and friends in these jobs and we have often discussed income. School principals earn a lot more than $75k in NSW. Cops too. A cop with 20 year's experience (say, a senior constable) has a base pay of around $90 000. The higher ranks earn well inexcess of $100 000 base pay. I have a friend who is a nursing unit manager and she also earns over $100 000 pa.

I pasted a link regarding principal pay on the previous page. Depending on school level, size and state, it is around 100 - 150k/year.

OK, I'll admit I haven't personally verified the salary figures I've been told, and could have them wrong. However I still think there is some validity in my points.

Unit manager is NOT the highest level

Please show me where I said it was the highest level. I said it was the highest 'expected' level, i.e. the highest, realistically obtainable role for many (most?) nurses. Sure there are exceptions.

Why doesn't she move if she is unhappy with pay and conditions (still not sure what the poor conditions are that you mention - busy, starts 15 minutes early, can't surf SS?)

She has - I posted about it?

UM's are not the lucky one's either. There are many roles and positions apart from that one at the same level. Gain a bit of experience
and the jobs are there for the taking.

I'm no nurse, but I thought a UM was in charge of 3 ANUMs and around 20 ward nurses. A job at a level that many 15-20 year+ experienced nurses never get to. Do you not consider that to be a 'top' nursing job? A nursing job in plentiful supply? Surely not?

Where I work the MAJORITY earn 100-110K too... but some more, others less if doing M-F or part time.

Is there a link to verify this? ABS? Nursing Union? Actually, considering most nurses are 50-54 years of age, it sounds like it could be true.

For me, it's probably an improvement in the conditions, rather than the pay, that is required.

But salary is the very topic of this thread. So now nurses aren't underpaid they just have unacceptable working conditions? Aren't the working conditions part of the job?

I think this is where the public get confused. What exactly is it that nurses want? More pay or less work? Both?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, I truly don't know.

I rest my case...

Come on now, play nicely! :) A rebuttal of my points would be nice, rather than grabbing sound bites. The fact that I wrote those things above do not alone invalidate my argument.

If there is NOTHING in ANYTHING I have said so far, and nursing is an awesome job with great conditions and benefits, can you please explain why less and less are starting careers in nursing these days:

The age profile of the nursing population has shifted toward older age groups over recent years. In 1999, the 40–44 years age group included the greatest number of nurses of all the age groups. By 2009, it was the 50–54 years age group that included the most nurses.

??

But salary is the very topic of this thread. So now nurses aren't underpaid they just have unacceptable working conditions? Aren't the working conditions part of the job?

I think this is where the public get confused. What exactly is it that nurses want? More pay or less work? Both?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, I truly don't know.
Working conditions is a topic relevant to all jobs - hence the invention of Unions.

I'll say it once more - the nurses aren't the ones whinging about their lot.

Most nurses in the system are still in it because they are happy doing what they are doing.

Yes, they would probably be happy with more money - I don't know a human who would knock back more pay for the same job.

All the griping is coming from ME - an outsider who has seen a lot of different folk in a lot of different jobs earning vastly different amounts.

And I compare the input to the worth and the return.

Simple.

I earn more than my wife, and have no quals and no worth.

In a world where this is often the case; we will have less of these people (nurses).

Slag 'em all you like, I don't really care what you think, but I can see the writing on the wall.

I'll say it once more - the nurses aren't the ones whinging about their lot.

Actually, nurses are very vocal about their lot, surpassed perhaps only by teachers.

Most nurses in the system are still in it because they are happy doing what they are doing.

Yes, they would probably be happy with more money - I don't know a human who would knock back more pay for the same job.

But I thought nurses were leaving the profession in droves and young would-be nurses were shunning the profession because of the inhumane pay and conditions? Or is there no nurse shortage after all?

I earn more than my wife, and have no quals and no worth.

No worth? Don't be down on yourself. The world needs auto shops. Without them, there'd be a lot more car crashes. One could go so far as to say you save lives ;)

Slag 'em all you like, I don't really care what you think, but I can see the writing on the wall.

No-one here is slagging nurses. I think we all agree that nurses perform a very important function in our society.

I was simply trying to establish what people who think nurses are underpaid believe to be an adequate salary in order that we can retain existing and attract new nurses to the profession.

A few pages back you mentioned something along the lines of a 120k starting package for nurses. This fantasyland figure seems to have more to do with the idea of what's 'fair' than it does with the realities of our economy and budget. As you well know, the public purses is not a bottomless pit and there would be a plethora of other professions demanding equally generous pay packets. There also gets to be a point where salary increases offer diminishing returns. Would one get a better nurse for 150k than for 90k?

If nurses got a starting salary of 120k, they'd be the highest paid profession in the country and the grades required to get into a nursing degree would be so high that many of our best and brightest students would choose nursing. Now, don't take this the wrong way, and I certainly don't want nurses to be dunces, but do they really need to be our best and brightest? A bit of an overkill perhaps? My point is, I'm sure we could adequately compensate nurses and attract new students into nursing without going berserk and all but cannonising nurses.

Of course you'll be reading this is my slagging off nurses, but I'm honestly curious of what nurse advocates deem to be a sufficient salary to keep the profession alive and vigorous enough so that our healthcare system does not fall apart at the seams. Once again, your 120k figure has nothing to do with this and has everything to do with comparing nursing to cherry picked professions and crying unfairness.

Back