Australia's crazy carbon trading scheme?

Well spotted Steve - and absolutely true!

Yes, it would. In this case, simpler and fairer appear to coincide. So who is opposed to a carbon tax?

A carbon tax will result in winners and losers just like anything else. The conventional electricity generation industry is massively opposed because 40% of our greenhouse emissions comes from electricity generation, which means 40% of any carbon tax revenue would be coming from your electricity bill. :eek: Fine by me but there are lots of people in our society who like to use electricity as a form of social security through large subsidies to households. My view is that's what a social security system is for... without a decent price signal to reduce electricity consumption who is going to bother?

A carbon tax would fundamentally change the way we generate electricity for example with a shift from coal to gas fuels (at least on the east coast!). All the coal mining and power companies are squealing "sovereign risk" conveniently forgetting that this has been on the cards for at least the last fifteen years or so! :rolleyes: Seems that the electricity industry thinks it should be immune from any risk...

The fact remains that if Australia wants to reduce its emissions then the most inefficient brown coal power stations have to shut down and new modern, efficient combined cycle gas plant take their place. If that doesn't happen (among other things) it will all be smoke and mirrors...

So the ETS is a way the politicians can placate all the special interest groups through its myriad of exemptions and assistance packages to ensure no-one gets hurt while looking like they're doing something to Joe Public. Hiking electricity bills through a "new tax" is likely to get a lot more press than halving the GST and making everything else a bit cheaper for example. I think plusnq expressed the typical skepticism of the Australian voter well in this thread already regarding "new taxes".

The arguments against a carbon tax are therefore purely political - support for an ETS comes from the school of thought that gave you:

"We must do something! This is something! Therefore we must do this! :eek:

Might change my sig...

More good stuff from Robert Gottliebsen,.....

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/bs.nsf/Article/10-points-pd20090812-UTTMB?OpenDocument&src=kgb

And the nationals have a guess at the hit agriculture will take,....

http://fw.farmonline.com.au/news/st.../rudds-ets-to-milk-all-consumers/1593089.aspx

........"Independent research has made crystal clear that food production will take an almighty hit from the Rudd Government’s ill-considered and rushed ETS,” Mr Truss said.

“Economic modelling prepared earlier this year for the agriculture sector showed that farm output would be slashed by $2.4 billion a year by 2020 and by $10.9 billion annually by 2030. Production will decline in all sectors, with beef and dairy farmers hard hit.

“Although agriculture is excluded until 2015, the cost of inputs like energy, fertiliser and chemicals will rise rapidly from the scheme’s introduction date.

"Other research suggests the average sized farm will lose about $11,000 a year in income. Yet farmers will not be allowed to claim credits for the carbon sequestration they undertake.

“The average impact on a dairy farm is estimated to be more than $10,000 in energy costs alone.

"And dairy farmers cannot switch to solar power to do their pre-dawn and after-dark milking.

“Farmers will inevitably have to pass on these extra and unnecessary costs. But imported food products, including New Zealand dairy products, will not have to bear the cost of the Rudd CPRS, stacking our shelves with imported food and threatening our exports'........

I'm really begining to suspect that labor knows how stupid, unfair and economically suicidal their scheme is. They know it will not get passed, and this will allow a double dissolution election. Labor win the election and bring in a new scheme, that's not as silly.

See ya's.

i'd be pretty upset if labour got voted in again....
... but increasily i am coming to realise that this will happen, thanks to the mild retardation of the average australian.

* no offense to labour voters... i just really dont like the Rudd govt.

just heard the bill was SMASHED in the senate by everyone not sitting in labour's camp.

good to see the rest of the country has it's head screwed on - let's see if labour realise they are the only ones standing up for it.

Back