Australias next Prime Minister

Liberal PM : Join prestigious law firm after graduation....climb the ranks...parachute into safe seat....cosy up to your big business mates....stab a few people in the back...voila.

Interesting, that was the way Julia ascended into politics.

Partner at Slater & Gordon by 29 (1990). Entered Federal Parliament in 1998 after serving two (2) years as Brumby's Chief of Staff. Then went into the safe Labor seat of Lalor

It's about affiliations and loyalties. Experience (life or otherwise) doesn't seem to rank all that high in politics, or with the public :confused:.

:)There is a little of that, but I am overwhelmed with the inspirational individual lives and stories, I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know we had such a fascinating politcal history and players. The multiple and diverse backgrounds, the incredible hardship, the sometimes inspirational, the sometimes sincerity of really wanting to make a difference, the interaction and contending, (some b/w party members and some b/w opposing parties.)

Alfred Deakin who gave the Sunraysia area so much was a politician that resigned in hismaiden speech because he could not live with his conscience about the way he 'thought' the ballot was incorrect, 'wrong'. His racial purity ideas, (not just him either), 'Black Jack' McEwen's story, just amazing, the man was a leader of leaders, he showed that in his farming techniques, his mindset, and in his political career. The War time pressures.

The love story b/w Curtain and his beloved Elsie. Curtain and McArthur (USA General), mutual admiration and respect for each other. The innovative Earle Page. The warm friendship of Menzies and Chifley, swapping their crime novels, meeting up in Chifley's PM office to have a chinwag over a whiskey (Chifley kept in his desk). The down to earth Chifley Menzie's called, 'the man's man'.

I could go on, :p. The stories and the history supercedes 'partys'...but a crux of the story is their idealogy.

It isn't in just one book, or I would post it, it's a research into the political story, which turned into the nation story of individual 'human stories.'

Our lives by comparison seem so priviliged.

Humans lead facinating lives. The lives of herimts can also make interesting reading.... or anyone who led a "normal" or humble existence....

If he is I see Hockey taking his place. Turnbull has a massive ego and isn't a team player, so I don't see him as PM ever, regardless of this strange popularity that he has :confused:.

Don't worry I am a kind of strange person so don't be offended when I say I would have the exact opposite view of this.

He is not well liked by his party because they are mostly conservative nutbags. He appears arrogant because he is intelligent and can tear people apart when going toe to toe. Trouble is Australians seem to like underdogs so would rather have the numpty they feel sorry for leading the nation than the highly succesfull ones.

I can find no other reason that the likes of Turnbull (Lib) and Lindsay Tanner (Lab) have never been more popular amoung the public.

If Tanner came out of retirement and Turnbull started a new real liberal party I would vote for them.

Humans lead facinating lives. The lives of herimts can also make interesting reading.... or anyone who led a "normal" or humble existence....

Yes, not a politician, but did you ever read about:

Henry Darger

An American recluse:

He has become famous for his posthumously discovered 15,145-page, single-spaced fantasy manuscript called The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinnian War Storm, Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion, along with several hundred drawings and watercolor paintings illustrating the story.

Darger's work has become one of the most celebrated examples of outsider art.

Tom:
If Tanner came out of retirement and Turnbull started a new real liberal party I would vote for them.

Nice minds, also Tony Windsor and Penny Wong.

Get rid of Gillard before we end up in a recession
I think Stephen Smith current Defence Minister and ex Foreign Minister would be a great replacement for Julia
He is from WA and he is an ex Barrestor so the factions wont go for him maybe he should switch parties

Senior

Being a loyal Liberal supporter, it pains me to see Stephen Smith, a very competent and integral man from Perth working for the opposing team.

He has some very admirable qualities and comes across generally as a good bloke. Labor are very lucky to have him.

Interesting, Twobobsworth - care to elaborate on your thoughts?

Look at what happened in NSW over the last dozen years. Premier after premier. Everyone thought they would get the boot and they still got in.

Bill Shorten is just biding his time on the sidelines. The carbon tax will go through and then he'll make his move. He'll keep the tax, just water it down.

The media love how he dug up the beaconsfield boys with his bare hands. He's been touted as the next bob hawke.

Imagine being sworn in by your mother-in-law!

Such a sad state of affairs that Abbott is far in advance "preferred Prime Minister".

Doesn't say that Abbot is any good, just that Gillard is soooooooo awful.

Turnbull and Tanner are my two preferred as well - but even Rudd would be better than what we currently have.

I admire Turnbull - he is intelligent, articulate and has the best interests of Australia's economy at heart ... even if what he says is too truthful for some.

Both Gillard and Abbott remind me of cardboard cutouts. There seems to be no personality or 'life' in either one of them (or maybe they are just not allowed to have one?). I know that charisma certainly isn't essential for a politician but, given that most Australians are anti-politics and don't know state responsibilites and issues from federal ones, surely it couldn't hurt to have a leader with a bit of rapport with the people (and not act and sound like a robot)?

To me Joe Hockey is a politician who seems to have the ability to appeal to the Australian masses. He seems genuine, likeable and...real. I even know of many staunch unionists who think the same :eek:.

Being a loyal Liberal supporter, it pains me to see Stephen Smith, a very competent and integral man from Perth working for the opposing team.

He has some very admirable qualities and comes across generally as a good bloke. Labor are very lucky to have him.

I dont know much about him, but I heard him giving an interview when the defence force skype scandal was in full swing. He did a very good job of answering the questions..... actually answering the questions instead of just giving spin. I was very impressed.
I'd heard Penny Wong the day before.. I dont remember what it was about. But she just kept saying the same thing over and over again. Obviously the line that she had been told from the opinion polls. I hope she is never PM... disaster. Stephen Smith had alot more integrity, at least in that one interview!

Giving serious consideration to setting up a website, something like 'the scammer', show average australian how they can scam the system.
Why sit back like sheep, if its a case of everyone for themself, then the long term way to change the system, is if everyone acts in the own best interest.

If possible, rip the system to the max.
Only by everyone ripping the system will the system actually be improved.

I have eluded periodically to how the system was ripe for ripping off in the early 1990's, especially for the 'average family'. Back in the early 1990's i could have created an income for an 'average family of 4', equal to a single income owner by routing the system with an equivalent salary of about $70k (in early 1990 terms).

Obviously the downside of this will be media scrutiny, and i really dont want that.

Abbots just a baby Howard minus intelligence. Turnbull is real pm material with genuine ideals,care and vision to match I think. Dunno if I'd like them but he does at least have it.
Not that I'm into Liberal all that much but Gillards making anyone look good right now . I also can't stand her nannyism and general ideals that will be forced upon the country given too much time, already well in motion .
Although they all do that anyway but hers are ridiculous. Anyone else labor right now is downright scary .

But Abbot's even scarier and remember voting Abbot = 1000's upon 1000's of extra phone towers and stripping the NBN, which would be crazy in itself by then anyway being close to finished, and probably nuclear .
He'll also tear apart and undo the schooling and health system again, and the billions that have had to be pumped back into those rebuilding after Howard, even if 1/2 has been a wast.
Which will mean we start being brainwashed again into believing Australia has to have a so called desperate skill and health shortage.
Only just as before and still with businesses and their costs and tape now , the real problem will just be back to training and education being just too expensive and impractical once again.

Either way I'm screwed and wish we had an alternative to the lot of them. Worst choices in history but I'd have to go Turnbull right now I think out of what we do have and seriously hope he gets a shot.

Last edited:
Back