Average salary for wage earners

Find a check out chick, a CEO of a multi-national, add their incomes together and divide their incomes by 2.

The serious answer is there is no median anymore.

Find a check out chick, a CEO of a multi-national, add their incomes together and divide their incomes by 2.

The serious answer is there is no median anymore.

You calculation doesn't give the median - it gives the average!

You need at least three samples to find the median. eg1. 2 check out chicks, and 1 CEO, median = checkout chick. eg2. 1 checkout chick and 2 CEO's, median = CEO

Last edited:
median wage

Adding the wages together and diving by two gives the average and not the median.

The median is the mid point ie the point where half are less and half are more.

So if the median wage in australia is $50,000 that means half earn more than that and half earn less.

I was being facetious guys.

Either way, whatever the figure that the Govt comes up with is far from accurate.

How can it possibly be accurate; you can have enormous variations within each profession, industry and even each State.

I guess you could say that a good number of Aussies are earning around $52k p/y - $1k per week?

You calculation doesn't give the median - it gives the average!

You need at least three samples to find the median. eg1. 2 check out chicks, and 1 CEO, median = checkout chick. eg2. 1 checkout chick and 2 CEO's, median = CEO

The median is a type of average. I think you're referring to the mean.

Ian, please see this post to determine what is what and how it is determined!

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=360186#post360186

Scroll down to post #69 if you want confirmation.

Thanks s_t, I also studied physics and statistics and am well aware of the terms mean, median, mode and average :) I also know that colloquially, 'average' = 'mean'.

It reminds me of a discussion I had with someone a few days ago about brackets vs braces vs parentheses. Here they are in that order: [] {} () Of course most people refer to parentheses as 'brackets', and brackets as 'square brackets' :)

Back