Balancing investing with other life goals

Yeah I revise that. Today I had to take mine to the vet for some shots, he really doesn't like vets.

I now have a bruised jaw from when he bounced up whilst I tried to hold him.

Guess a kid won't do that. :)

lol - nope, kids will too!

Almost had my nose broken yesterday from a reverse headbutt from a hyperactive 8 month old.

Cheers

Jmaie

Definitely have kids.

I am 38 and regret having no kids. Daily.

There is a house but not a home. Without kids, it is all a bit meaningless and directionless. At the end of the day, what is the use of millions in the bank on the deathbed. There is no legacy, nothing to show for our brief time on the planet.

When I visit friends of my vintage, similar age/background - they all have kids - it just reinforces these feelings.

Money is really the side issue but having kids and family is the main game.

Definitely have kids.

I am 38 and regret having no kids. Daily.

There is a house but not a home. Without kids, it is all a bit meaningless and directionless. At the end of the day, what is the use of millions in the bank on the deathbed. There is no legacy, nothing to show for our brief time on the planet.

When I visit friends of my vintage, similar age/background - they all have kids - it just reinforces these feelings.

I'm 52, and have a 12 year old son, a 4 year old son and an 18 month old daughter.

Do the math on that lot.

I think that you may just have a few years left to get into the club.

You could always rent out a few rooms cheaply to a single mother.

Instant kids, you can give them back to her when you've had enough of them for the day, you get some extra income, and she gets a safe and stable roof over her and kids' heads.

It may even lead to romance.

Last edited:
I'm 52, and have a 12 year old son, a 4 year old son and an 18 month old daughter.

Do the math on that lot.

I think that you may just have a few years left to get into the club.

You could always rent out a few rooms cheaply to a single mother.

Instant kids, you can give them back to her when you've had enough of them for the day, you get some extra income, and she gets a safe and stable roof over her and kids' heads.

It may even lead to romance.

BV why did you wait till 40 before you began to procreate?

I had always wanted to begin at 30 and hence my constant consternation at my plight.

BV why did you wait till 40 before you began to procreate?

I had always wanted to begin at 30 and hence my constant consternation at my plight.
I was never in a hurry to have kids or get married. Too immature, too selfish, and basically not ready to take on the responsibility without giving it 100% commitment.

When my wife and I did finally get married, we decided we didn't want to have kids immediately - we wanted some time for just ourselves first.

She was 23 and I was 33 - I had a very full-on Proshop business, and my wife was in full swing with her nursing career, so we were time poor as well.

Then, we decided to have one child after 7 years of marriage.

Then, we decided to move overseas so my wife could work O/S before our son got to school age, then have another child when we got back...It was meant to be an 18 month contract/trip, but ended up being 3 years.

So, no.2 son ended up coming on the scene a bit later than we had planned.

Our daughter was a bit of an accident, but we are thrilled to have her.

So; there you go; that's what happens in life - you have a plan, but life gets in the way! :D

My advice is don't sweat it. There is plenty of time.

The right girl will appear when you least expect it; you cannot force it, and to do so would most likely end up in tears.

I would buy a better car, and a decent lounge suite and bed setting though if I were you....;)

Last edited:
Hi China, Mate. If you want to attract Mrs Right, you first have to get the nesting thing happening. As BV said, get yourself a beautiful lounge and a romantic bedroom happening. Does your house have a fireplace? If so, I'd also get a cosy dining room started - it doesn't have to be a large table, but have one there with elegant cutlery, crystal glasses and fine china for that special night. I know you don't like to cook, you can have something catered.

and a romantic bedroom happening. Does your house have a fireplace? If so, I'd also get a cosy dining room started - it doesn't have to be a large table, but have one there with elegant cutlery, crystal glasses and fine china for that special night. I know you don't like to cook, you can have something catered.

This could be bad advice.

What does a man's romantic bedroom look like?

You don't want it looking like there was someone else there the day before, and the day before that, or worse still, like he's running a brothel from home :eek:.

... or do you mean no socks and jocks on the floor, and crumb and food spills on the sheets :D.

My advice to china is simple... be subtle when fishing for answers to Q like, do you want babies, do you want to give up your job/career for your husband, do you like ironing mens shirts, and skip talk about doctors incomes, private hospitals and the lucrative industry of bi lateral cataract surgery.

Last edited:
I'll send my 3 up to stay with you for a week over the Xmas holidays, China....

That'll get it outaya system - but permanently. :D

You'll be glad to get back to work for a holiday!

Only joking.

Last edited:
My advice to china is simple... be subtle when fishing for answers to Q like, do you want babies, do you want to give up your job/career for your husband, do you like ironing mens shirts, and skip talk about doctors incomes, private hospitals and the lucrative industry of bi lateral cataract surgery.
A couple of other questions you probably shouldn't ask on the first date would be;
1. Do you f@ck on first dates?
2. Does your dad own a brewery?.....

:D

Yes Weg, good points.

I was thinking more of moving up from a single bed with striped mismatched Best and Less sheets that haven't been washed for a few weeks, to a suite made of matching timber and with fresh matching bed linens. Actually last I knew China slept on a mattress on the floor. Looks like he is moving upwards.

Yes Weg, good points.

I was thinking more of moving up from a single bed with striped mismatched Best and Less sheets that haven't been washed for a few weeks, to a suite made of matching timber and with fresh matching bed linens. Actually last I knew China slept on a mattress on the floor. Looks like he is moving upwards.

My concern was more, china taking up advice to make the room more romantic and ending up with something NOT romantic.

Agree... mattress on floor = not a good look.

Yes Weg, good points.

he he - I used to delebratly 'decorate' my room with enough class the girls wouldnt turn and leave straight away - but poorly enough they didnt want to hang around in the morning... :D

Maybe just flip the 20 cent coin in your back pocket and turn up a one of the front bars in your area,no good wondering how come people get trapped by choice into such a life cash only takes you so far and attitude is more important then fact..

My advice is don't sweat it. There is plenty of time.

The problem is that time is a non-renewable resource. We all have a finite period and every childless moment means a moment less to spend with the child. They talk about maternity clocks but my paternity clock is ringing non stop. At age 30, I thought there was time but at 38, there has to be time pressures.

The problem is that time is a non-renewable resource. We all have a finite period and every childless moment means a moment less to spend with the child. They talk about maternity clocks but my paternity clock is ringing non stop. At age 30, I thought there was time but at 38, there has to be time pressures.

Its too late for you now China. You are too rich, if you meet a woman now she could take you for everything!

You really needed to find your wife when you were a broke a$$ teenager.

Its too late for you now China. You are too rich, if you meet a woman now she could take you for everything!

You really needed to find your wife when you were a broke a$$ teenager.

A very valid point. And that is why it is best to have kids as young as you can so that everyone can grow up together.

Back