Bali kid

and.."thou does protest too much" comes to my mind.
How many are using behind closed doors.

Doesn't matter.
That was not my initial concern.

My concern is why we are focusing on a kid who admits to buying drugs in Bali, and the Australian government attempting to intervene.

Taxpayers dollars could be better utilized.

Your severity shocks me,
a 14 year old is a child. I beleive the parents are at fault here !

Your severity shocks me,
a 14 year old is a child. I beleive the parents are at fault here !

That's what happens when you start worshiping money over everything else... some people on this forum like the OP really need to re-evaluate their morals and values!!

PS Gillard and the government will get PLENTY of money back with carbon tax set to kick in July 2012... so don't even start with the "government spending".

MP Craig Thompson is spending our hard earned tax dollars on prostitutes around the world... I'm sure that's not even the tip of the ice berg so I dislike your way of thinking Kathryn.

Last edited:
You really need to draw the line between use and abuse, as Evan stated.

Just because I have a glass or two of red wine every week or two, does not make me a bloody alco :)

When it comes to "illegal" drugs, most people in our community are so fricking naive, it's unimaginable. yet these very same people are quiet happy to pop dozens of panadols, ritalin, aspirin and other phrameceutical drugs which are actually linked to millions of deaths around the world every year.

Yes if you smoke weed everyday and loads of it, you will have some problems with your brain eventually. But if you have an occasional smoke once or twice a week, nothing bad will ever happen. It's called self control and moderation.

Police do as they are told, if the government passes a new law that makes looking at women's breasts illegal, then cops will come down on every Tom, Dick and Harry like savage dogs because that's the law, they don't care if it's a normal thing to do.

Last I checked, smoking is still legal and that kills much more people world wide than all the illegal drugs combined. In fact, pharmaceutical drugs kill the most people, much more than people who die on our roads.
These drugs were prescribed and were taken as directed by the patients.

What a great post, this is the best post of the week for me and I couldn't agree more. There is nothing more sickly to me than the "Goody Two Shoes" that puts people down for smoking a little grass but are fine with taking harmful death inducing pills and chemicals. As long as it's law, its right they say! :rolleyes::mad:

Seems to be some magic mushroom and marijuana paranoia around here.

You better be careful should you decide to vacation in Bali.

There is nothing more sickly to me than the "Goody Two Shoes" that puts people down for smoking a little grass

There is nothing more sickly to me than "fools" that feel the laws do not apply to them especially while they are in foreign countries with well publicised laws.:mad::rolleyes:

I agree. Just think how many of us break the law in a little way on a day to day basis...

driving over 40 in a school zone that we missed
driving over the speed limit in a road work zone
going through a stop sign without coming to a complete halt
parking in a non-parking zone or overstaying parking times
maybe claiming small items that you shouldnt on your tax return
not getting council approval for things you should approval for... the list in endless!

most of us will at some stage or another break a law.... and most of us will NOT get the punishment we "deserve" and when we do get a fine or some sort of punishment, we will have all sorts of excuses for why we did it or why we shouldnt be punished.

At the end of the day, I think we should be less judging of people and more understanding. I'm not saying people shouldnt receive punishment for what they've done wrong. But i dont think we should be glad that they are bunished, or judgemental about their motives/ upbringing etc... unless we are prepared to be judged in the same harsh way when we do the wrong thing...and alway be punished when we break the law.

"Let him who is without sin throw the first stone" and "those that live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones" come to mind....

stealing paperclips from our employers :)

There is nothing more sickly to me than "fools" that feel the laws do not apply to them especially while they are in foreign countries with well publicised laws.:mad::rolleyes:

+1 on this for me. Its the case on how smart one is to pushing the boundaries and there will be at least that one that happens to push them too far. I'm still amazed at the outrage from Australians with regards to that kid who was waving illicit drugs in a bag in broad daylight around in a place with those harsh drug laws saying "come and get me". See him try that in a place like Singapore and I would have loved to have seen the reaction from the Australian govt there. Just a case of "darwinism". We all have broken some rules in our lives..yes.. its just how smart we are to push that societal boundary. One would have thought that learning of cases like Corby to have made one realise despite all the pressure in the world, it wasnt wise to put even a fog's breath on the weed bag in a country like Indonesia.

If he gets off with a tap on the wrist, let us follow him and see what he will do in the future. Not to mention all the Australian teens that think "hmm...if he can get away with it, i probably can too as the Australian govt will save my ***" I rather taxpayers dollars go somewhere else.

Its a sad world i see here with drug use and abuse. Some drugs may not kill anyone, doesnt mean they dont bring harm. Any psychodelic substance will change how the brain is wired and we have a lot more to learn about that. And for most prescribed meds, its a case of managing the effects for the benefits. And remember they are prescribed... what happens when weed becomes prescribed? I'm sure alot of users who use it wont be able to get legal access to it ( i know theres this long debate for the benefits of weed and I dont disagree with that.) Anyway I digress...

there is nothing more sickly to me when IDIOTS don't read the post in it's context. :mad::rolleyes::rolleyes: From what I see Rachel was not talking about that boy but about the judgmental people in general who regard people that smoke grass as evil (in Australia or abroad) yet they are fine to take poison like most of the pills that are prescribed to people. You know, dimwits who jump to conclusions without bothering to understand or are blind by their own ignorance! I know exactly what she is talking about as my own Aunt was like that, constantly putting people down that smoked grass but she was on prescribed pills herself and she nearly went insane from all the crap the doctors put into her body. The current Michael Jackson case is a prime and extreme example of what prescription drugs do to people, yes it might not be completely legal with his situation but it shows how bad these pills can be for people. If I had a choice of taking pills or smoking a joint, I know which one I would have.

Even worse is the drunks that prowl our street, bashing each other and innocent people up, but this is all legal and fine yeah! being drunk is all part of the Australian CULTURE, it's perfectly fine and acceptable as it's legal. WHAT A ******* Joke

What a great post, this is the best post of the week for me and I couldn't agree more. There is nothing more sickly to me than the "Goody Two Shoes" that puts people down for smoking a little grass but are fine with taking harmful death inducing pills and chemicals. As long as it's law, its right they say! :rolleyes::mad:

+ 1, totally agree and there is many armchair critics in Aussie that can do no wrong. As for the kid, I hope he gets a few more weeks as it's great free publicity for Bali and their prehistoric laws and corrupt legal system. Also people that still go to Bali deserve what they get although I mean that in a good scare & couple of months jail, not 20 years :) I have never been there but from what I have seen and heard it's full of Aussie bogans, last thing I need or would want to be part of. I prefer to go to other Asian countries, they offer all of the nice beaches and cheap living, they still have tough drug laws but I have never ever been harassed to buy drugs like it seems is common in Bali.

there is nothing more sickly to me when IDIOTS don't read the post in it's context. :mad::rolleyes::rolleyes: From what I see Rachel was not talking about that boy but about the judgmental people in general who regard people that smoke grass as evil (in Australia or abroad) yet they are fine to take poison like most of the pills that are prescribed to people. You know, dimwits who jump to conclusions without bothering to understand or are blind by their own ignorance! I

Speaking of dimwits who jump to conclusions without bothering to understand or are blind by their own ignorance, perhaps you will point out where I have said I am all for dangerous prescription drugs and against a bit of pot smoking.
What I did say is that I am against fools who feel they are above the law in this and other countries.

If you want to take illegal drugs, as long as your actions do not affect me or others in any way, you go right ahead.
If you want to do it in Bali I'm OK with that as well, but FFS don't go crying to mummy or the media if you get busted and hung out to dry for it.

Speaking of dimwits who jump to conclusions without bothering to understand or are blind by their own ignorance, perhaps you will point out where I have said I am all for dangerous prescription drugs and against a bit of pot smoking.What I did say is that I am against fools who feel they are above the law in this and other countries.

If you want to take illegal drugs, as long as your actions do not affect me or others in any way, you go right ahead.
If you want to do it in Bali I'm OK with that as well, but FFS don't go crying to mummy or the media if you get busted and hung out to dry for it.

Nowhere, when he first made reference to that, he wasn't talking about you as you hadn't posted in that part of the thread/discussion yet.

My concern is why we are focusing on a kid who admits to buying drugs in Bali, and the Australian government attempting to intervene.

Taxpayers dollars could be better utilized.

again with the disinformation!

Rudd clearly expressed his desire to "not get too involved" because "the indonesian judicial system has to be respected".

clearly this is all soapbox hum-drum and i'm out.

Aaron,

My husband has had to bribe the Indonesian Police twice over the dozen odd times that he has been there. Only for "trafiic" so called "crimes"...but he has said,

" If you can pay your way out, you do it and you do it without a fight or the media."

They are corrupt beyond doubt and I do not believe a single report that comes from their police or legal system.

Regards JO

many years ago i got robbed in bali. i had to make a donation to a local charity to get a police report (for travel insurance). the police kindly offered to take the donation to the charity.

I never mentioned any government officials by name.
This article mentions Julia Gillard and other government officials.
http://www.news.com.au/psychiatrist...oy-out-of-prison/story-fn7x8me2-1226162501173

The point Aaron made quite clearly to the rest of us, is politicians have not oversteppeed their gorund. They are takingt care of a citizen wihtotutsticking itheir nose ain and callling Indonesians corrupt or asking for the laws to be subverted.

Politic8ans in Austrliai do will continue to look out for citiznes in trouble overseas, it is what we do here in Australia - perhaps John Howard should have put THAT in Australian Citizienship test

We undertand your view Kathryn, buy most people in Australia, the nation's laws and the existing political processes seem to disagree with your view.

Maybe, just let it go....

Back