• No

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't get the whole "cheap" appeal of the island/country. Sure, the airfares are cheap but the hotels are not that much cheaper than most places. You can stay pretty much anywhere in Europe (as an example) for a similar price if you research well. It's only an extra 1k at most for airfares.

We just came back from a 3 month trip and spent approx $50/night for all hotels. The only ones that cost more were in Paris (over Christmas week) for $90/night and London which was $100. These were not flea infested dumps but well rated and centrally located. If you were less picky with reviews than me, you could do it for less.

We just came back from a 3 month trip and spent approx $50/night for all hotels. The only ones that cost more were in Paris (over Christmas week) for $90/night and London which was $100. These were not flea infested dumps but well rated and centrally located. If you were less picky with reviews than me, you could do it for less.

I think it's a bit different when you go on a holiday compared to travelling. When I go to Europe I'm not overly concerned about the accommodation because I know I wont be spending much time there. But a place like Bali where (most of us) just got to chill out, I know the majority of my time is going to be spent at the resort (pool, beach, room, restaurant, etc) so I want it to be high quality. Funnily enough I end up spending more on accommodation in Bali than in Paris!

Last edited:
So now these two are so important and dangerous that what looks like half their Police Special Forces, as well as the personal presence of the Commissioner of Police himself, are required to transport them from one place to the other. Meanwhile, the Indonesian citizen who is also getting shot, gets to travel cattle class by himself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-...nt-photos-police-chief-bali-nine-pair/6284154

Something else is going on here. This is just BSD Indonesia waltzing around saying "F*** you Australia".

I won't be going near Indonesia myself - not when they have this attitude while trying to get their own citizens off death row in other countries. Anyway, with their lax security, who knows what someone will slip into your bags...

Reactions: NPB

Not a bad effort considering you were behind on loan repayments a few months ago :eek:

Something else is going on here. This is just BSD Indonesia waltzing around saying "F*** you Australia".

wouldn't you do the same? some neighbour starts meddling in your afairs and dictating the terms and saying their way is the right way and if you don't like it don't expect any aid when 100's of thousands are drowning? It was a despicable and stupid thing to say and I have never been so embarrassed to be an aussie. completely heartless.

wouldn't you do the same? some neighbour starts meddling in your afairs and dictating the terms and saying their way is the right way and if you don't like it don't expect any aid when 100's of thousands are drowning? It was a despicable and stupid thing to say and I have never been so embarrassed to be an aussie. completely heartless.

You need to look up diplomacy before you keep embarrassing yourself. Countries bargain, trade and influence each other every single day. This is not new.

Also, you do realise that Indonesia does exactly the same thing for it's citizens don't you? They campaign very hard to get their citizens off death row in other countries, and rightly so. They've even paid 'blood money' to get them off.

And importantly - they are Australian citizens facing death in a foreign country for goodness sake. Agree or disagree but this is a penalty that does not exist in Australia. It would be completely irresponsible for Australia not to try and help two of its own citizens.

Finally, just like slavery, apartheid and many other examples that seemed ok at the time, capital punishment will be looked upon poorly by future generations, Indonesia is just behind the times.

Last edited:
I have previously posted about my feelings towards the crimes that these two committed, again, they were grubs of the lowest order.

I don't care what is in their hearts or what drives them, I feel that the good they were doing in the jail answers the question as to whether the world is a better place with or without them.

I felt sick to my stomach when I saw the police chief having a casual selfie style picture at the expense of two individuals on their journey to their organised demise. This coupled with the orchestrated show of force in moving them to the island is shameful.

Regardless of rights or wrongs, death or life or any of the other issues, I feel that our humanity at the core of each of us is at odds with this macabre show.

No one has a right to take someone's life.

This sorry saga makes me think back to the Chambers and Barlow case Australian drug smugglers which I mentioned in a previous post. These guys were sentenced to death, they were hung in the 80s?
This is barbaric and only creates more victims, those left behind to pick up the pieces. There is no evidence to prove that capital punishment deters crime, 30 years later and here we are again, this time its bullets.

If you don't believe that people can be rehabilitated.... then what's the solution - we shoot everyone that commits a crime and be done with it.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...9pHAAAAIBAJ&sjid=L5wDAAAAIBAJ&pg=4031,1707151

^^^^

This is where im still not sure of the fundamentals of a Death sentence

Is it to punish the individiual or to prevent the actual person from doing it again or is it send a msg

If its to punish the individual. Then it shouldnt matter how much they have reformed

If its to prevent them doing it again, then one can argue reformation negates the need for life in jail or death

If its to send a msg, they should essentially execute every drug related crime

what I find amazing is this rock solid assertion that these guys have been rehabilitated. they sat around in prison making the most of their time before their ultimate date with destiny whilst refusing to give up the names of who they were working for.

You need to look up diplomacy before you keep embarrassing yourself. Countries bargain, trade and influence each other every single day. This is not new.

Also, you do realise that Indonesia does exactly the same thing for it's citizens don't you? They campaign very hard to get their citizens off death row in other countries, and rightly so. They've even paid 'blood money' to get them off.

And importantly - they are Australian citizens facing death in a foreign country for goodness sake. Agree or disagree but this is a penalty that does not exist in Australia. It would be completely irresponsible for Australia not to try and help two of its own citizens.

Finally, just like slavery, apartheid and many other examples that seemed ok at the time, capital punishment will be looked upon poorly by future generations, Indonesia is just behind the times.

you would be happy to stand by and leave hundreds of thousands of desparates dying whilst you smash a pizza? this is not bargaining, it's just foot in mouth disease.

have no problem with Australia trying to get them off. throw some money at them, swap some prisoners (that was a stroke of genius - here have 60 scum and we will cover the cost of looking after 2!). Just don't jeopardise the national interests over it

These are 2 separate issues.

Concerns for safety of family members would be a major reason why they would not give up names.

what I find amazing is this rock solid assertion that these guys have been rehabilitated. they sat around in prison making the most of their time before their ultimate date with destiny whilst refusing to give up the names of who they were working for.

It doesn't look like the anything is going to stop the executions.
I think the delay is more to do with the other prisoners getting their appeals denied officially.
It has been stated they want all the executions to take place at once.

I think it is in poor taste for the pictures to be taken of them on the plane.
This is not anything, anyone should be taken any joy from.

No one has a right to take someone's life.

Indonesian law says otherwise, as does US law

There is no evidence to prove that capital punishment deters crime,

hard to prove either way but I certainly wouldn't attempt the crime and it's safe to assume the harsh penalty is a major deterrent

If you don't believe that people can be rehabilitated.... then what's the solution - we shoot everyone that commits a crime and be done with it.

it's not exactly hard to be rehabilitated from drug smuggling, you just don't do it again :confused:

I also think there woul dbe strong support for capital punishment in this country for certain crimes

Concerns for safety of family members would be a major reason why they would not give up names.

Yes i dont get how some people dont understand this

They all link refusing to name as signs of lack of rehabilitation

exactly, they have decided to protect their families at the expense of all ours. The selfishness has been perpetuated

Back