• No

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is what judge said (in the movie at least)when he sentenced Neslon mandela (okay no comparison between two) it is about death penlty

Let us show the world
that we are a nation of laws
and where possible,
we temper justice with mercy.
I have therefore decided not to
impose the supreme penalty.

Indonisa show mercy and actually use condemned to help rehabilitate other condemned.

the death penalty for a 21 yr old is a possibility.
Says he was brain washed by his older brother.

Don't you care if he dies?

He didn't directly kill anyone, just set in motion a substance (in this case a bombing device..pressure cooker?) but similar to drugs...the Bali 9 didn't physically give to the buyers.

We don't need to get into this criminal story.
The question is, is everyone who is in support of stopping the execution in favor for all...or just a few?

I'm in favour for stopping execution for all.

You're a north American so you've probably heard of the West Memphis Three? I watched both documentaries and the movie recently and this case is a good example of children wrongly convicted who end up on death row.

are you implying that bali 9 are not guilty of drug smuggling and their case was handled just as poorly as Memphis Three?

I haven't heard any outrage on the news about the USA trying to decide if they will seek the death penalty for the Boston Marathon killer.

Only outrage, if the criminal is Australian?

One of the ones on the list to be executed with the Bali 9, is someone claiming to be innocent.

Is Australia trying to stop all the executions, or just these 2 men.

I oppose for all. I used to support it, then I had a close family member brutally murdered, dismembered and scattered in rubbish bins and surrounding scrub.

Once the grief and anger subsided, I realised that killing his killer would do nothing for my family member, and simply reduce me and the state to his level.

Killing people is simply a base instinct that civilised people have overcome.

im agreeing with you,

its selective media/caring,

we:ve heard heaps and heaps of stuff about the 2 bali guys, however, have heard nothing aobut the other 8 or so about to be executed,

thats why i am curious, are the other countries making a big deal like australia is but we just arent hearing it???

I also heard that for the nigerian guy, he was transported in a single van as opposed to 50 for the australians
It's like the Olympics - almost all the Aus coverage is about our athletes, and every other Country is doing the same with their coverage.

Same with anything; when we lived in the USA, there was next to no coverage of anything anywhere else in the world - other than the Iraq/Afghanistan conflict....because it was their fighters over there.

Something like our 2 boys going for execution; it might get a passing mention - if at all - and that's about it.

We carry on like we are the centre of the Universe, and so does everyone else; but the reality is noone O/S really cares too much what goes on down under.

I bet if the two fellas about to get executed were yanks Obama would have saved them.

It's obviously just a big show. A cat and mouse game. Australia can't to zip about it.

I hope a huge gust of wind blows through the Presidential Palace and blows his floral shirts out to sea!

The few times I've been to Malaysia, Singapore or Indonesia, my distinct impression from reading the newspapers and talking to people is that Australia is not well liked. The people are liked, but not the government. Sanj might be able to expand on it or explain it. It's like they see Australia as an arrogant Big Brother in the region, pushing our weight around. I got the impression they resented Australia because we stuck our nose into their business. I wouldn't be surprised if Indonesia saw this as an opportunity to stick it to Australia. That's my impression anyway.

I'm very sorry for your loss Hoffy. That would be a difficult thing to go through.

We just came back from a 3 month trip and spent approx $50/night for all hotels. The only ones that cost more were in Paris (over Christmas week) for $90/night and London which was $100. These were not flea infested dumps but well rated and centrally located. If you were less picky with reviews than me, you could do it for less.

Cimbom, I'll have to talk to you when organising our next trip. I couldn't find a hotel in Paris for less than $300 a night a year ago.

thats why i am curious, are the other countries making a big deal like australia is but we just arent hearing it?
Yes Brasil has kicked up a huge stink and rejected the latest Indonesian ambassador after the execution. In response trade deals are falling apart. The Brazilian was denied last rites from his priest who was waiting there.
I bet if the two fellas about to get executed were yanks Obama would have saved them.
Yes US does not allow its citizens to be executed legally abroad, they have the muscle to enforce that.

Widodo has been behaving very strangely. Some say it is because he has not been doing well in his first few months in office. This "drug emergency" hard line came out of nowhere.

We have cancelled a multi family 50th bday trip we were planning to Bali for later this year, it is not a country we want to visit anymore.

personally...I think there is a good chance all these executions will be cancelled.

It is almost like they are searching for a way to 'legally' stop it..and now, save face.

Maybe Obama had a quiet word to him....."hey Joc, you're peeving off too many people, reduce it to 2 per annum"

personally...I think there is a good chance all these executions will be cancelled.

It is almost like they are searching for a way to 'legally' stop it..and now, save face.

I have this gut feeling that it wont be a straight fwd execution as well. I feel something is brewing.

and yeah. Good old face. So unproductive and causes another layer of BS

Yes Brasil has kicked up a huge stink and rejected the latest Indonesian ambassador after the execution. In response trade deals are falling apart. The Brazilian was denied last rites from his priest who was waiting there.

Yes US does not allow its citizens to be executed legally abroad, they have the muscle to enforce that.

Widodo has been behaving very strangely. Some say it is because he has not been doing well in his first few months in office. This "drug emergency" hard line came out of nowhere.

We have cancelled a multi family 50th bday trip we were planning to Bali for later this year, it is not a country we want to visit anymore.
Its hard to get a gauge of what other coubtries are reacting or doing since all we hear is australian news

As for obama. Does he really have the power to force outher countries to stop executions? Doesnt soubd right to me

Looks like the inevitable is about to happen

Final appeal dismissed

They could have add little as 72 hours to live

Its hard to get a gauge of what other coubtries are reacting or doing since all we hear is australian news

As for obama. Does he really have the power to force outher countries to stop executions? Doesnt soubd right to me

weellll if it could halt executions, would it be avin executions at ome

Obama doesn't have the power to do anything other than exert political and economic pressure, and why would the US when many southern states still execute their own citizens.

They're not barbaric animals, they're our good buddies! We even put our flags at half-mast when their democratically elected leader died recently :)

Back