• No

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • Yes due to the AFP's involvement

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • No, they were going to do it anyway

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think the guy who was at the head of their ring is now "retired" from drug trafficking and living it up in a waterfront mansion somewhere

yeah ironically, he actually won $5m in lottery or some similar figure and retired from the business.......

there is no justice

pay a huge price to 'try' save some lousy drug smugglers, the outcome of which we can't change anyway? Just makes us look stupid, someone in govt needs to read some Sun Tzu

I don't understand how campaigning for someone's life makes us look stupid. Most countries (including Indonesia) would do the same for their citizens. I would have thought the Indonesian judicial system is the thing that's coming out of this looking 'stupid' (allegations of corruption and completely inconsistent rulings for similar crimes).

If someone thinks we are stupid objecting to the death penalty then the problem is theirs, not ours.

I think the guy who was at the head of their ring is now "retired" from drug trafficking and living it up in a waterfront mansion somewhere

My question should have been more specific.

Has the drug trafficking decreased in Bali, from Australians trying to smuggle drugs out of Bali and into Australia?

I think the answer is an indirect one - no, it hasn't, because most of the people who control and make the most money out of these activities (like the guy I mentioned) will probably never see the inside of a jail cell, much less be executed. They just go after the pawns in most cases.

If all drug traffickers in Bali are executed, surely it will slow down.

I can understand why Australia is having a big drug problem...it isn't considered serious.

I can understand why Australia is having a big drug problem...it isn't considered serious.

this is one of the most logical postings in this thread. Given that the majority of people posting here think that drugs are no big deal, cause no harm and can't be stopped anyway, then we should just legalise the whole lot.

this is one of the most logical postings in this thread. Given that the majority of people posting here think that drugs are no big deal, cause no harm and can't be stopped anyway, then we should just legalise the whole lot.

I haven't seen anyone say that drugs are no big deal and cause non harm, care to quote the posts that do?

I haven't seen anyone say that drugs are no big deal and cause non harm, care to quote the posts that do?

you really want me to go back over 29 pages to restate what is quite clear just for your benefit? Sorry I don't have time. The message is quite clear with multiple postings that alcohol kills more than hard drugs, there is no collateral damage from drugs, drug users have themselves to blame and it doesn't affect others etc.

you really want me to go back over 29 pages to restate what is quite clear just for your benefit? Sorry I don't have time. The message is quite clear with multiple postings that alcohol kills more than hard drugs, there is no collateral damage from drugs, drug users have themselves to blame and it doesn't affect others etc.

So your answer is no, thereisn't any evidence you can provide that people have said drugs cause no harm?

Agree with Sanj, I've read most of the thread and I don't recall anyone saying that, certainly not the 'majority'.

Shocking but not surprising allegations about corruption from the judges in the Bali 9 ringleaders case. Would be a massive injustice for the executions to go ahead as planned now.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/they...i-nine-bribe-allegations-20150426-1mtwc1.html

especially unsurprising is the fact that it's complete BS

It is understood that the directive came from the attorney general's office and the supreme court.

Following the intervention, Mr Rifan said the judges "started asking for a lot more money".

"I just explained to them how much we had and they said the risk was now too big for them and that the [1 billion rupiah] was not enough."

imho this is either the guy trying to make himself famous, or the typical journos inventing the story.

if the judges had an order from the supreme court to sentence those two to death, there would be no further negotiations. especially in a high profile case like this.

also interesting is that the story only comes to light 10 years after the actual verdict and not during multiple appeals. :rolleyes:

Sorry I've been away on holidays so haven't followed the media circus - have these clowns been dealt justice yet?

have these clowns been dealt justice yet?
There is no justice in Indonesia, totally corrupt. No credibility anymore either.

I hope our government has the guts to give them some serious reprisals and sanctions over this. We certainly wont be going to Indonesia anymore, I hope many others do the same. Would reconsider if they can improve their system and get rid of the death penalty, everyone deserves a second chance, including Chan and Sukumaran.

There is no justice in Indonesia, totally corrupt. No credibility anymore either.

I hope our government has the guts to give them some serious reprisals and sanctions over this. We certainly wont be going to Indonesia anymore, I hope many others do the same. Would reconsider if they can improve their system and get rid of the death penalty, everyone deserves a second chance, including Chan and Sukumaran.

We are not to judge another country's penalties. It's also not our jurisdiction. In another country it may be totally legal to do what they did. Read the back of your passport some time, it mentions that some countries don't take kindly to drugs.

Do the crime, do the time. Pretty simple.

Whilst the decision to execute or not can we debated and justified by both sides,my simple take on this is for people to please take some time to ponder this...

What if your relative had overdosed on the drugs that would have hit the streets if they did not get caught...

Last edited:
Whilst the decision to execute or not can we debated and justified by both sides,my simple take on this is for people to please take some time to ponder this...

What if your relative had overdosed on the drugs that would have hit the streets if they did not get caught...

I would blame my idiot family member for taking drugs in the first place and then I would hope that the people selling the drugs would spend the rest of their life in jail.

What if your relative was murdered, it still doesn't make capital punishment right

We are not to judge another country's penalties. It's also not our jurisdiction. In another country it may be totally legal to do what they did. Read the back of your passport some time, it mentions that some countries don't take kindly to drugs.

Do the crime, do the time. Pretty simple.

What an odd comment. We shouldn't judge another country's penalties? We should just ignore female genital mutilation in Samalia? Ignore stoning in Pakistan? Ignore ISIS beheadings? Should we not have criticised South Adrica during apartheid?

Back