Ballpark figures to renovate kitchen, bathroom & paint apartment

Hi,

What would be a ballpark figure to renovate/replace the kitchen, bathroom and paint a medium size apartment in Melbourne's inner north?

It's a 1970's apartment with everything original and never updated, although it's still functional and currently rented.

Thanks!

Hi,

What would be a ballpark figure to renovate/replace the kitchen, bathroom and paint a medium size apartment in Melbourne's inner north?

It's a 1970's apartment with everything original and never updated, although it's still functional and currently rented.

Thanks!

DIY $2000-$3000 for kitchen
DIY $2000-$3000 for bathroom
DIY $500-$1000 to paint

I don't know how much tradies will charge you. I'm guessing lots.

$10k bathroom (rip everything out, re-waterproof, retile floor to wall, new tub, new basin, new toilet - but leave everything in the same location, floor tiles ontop of existing tiles - you do nothing)
$8k - kitchen (you rip out old kitchen, installer comes into to install new kitchen (stone, poly doors), appliances and appliances install extra, everything left in the same location).
$3k paint (thats paying someone, but i recommend doing it yourself if you have the time - if you're lazy, pay someone to do the ceiling, but walls are easy).

Great thanks to you both. Yes I was thinking around $20k to outsource it all as I am DIY challenged so your estimates neK sound reasonable to me.

Personally I prefer to hire tradies based on recommendation from other property owners. Search for the thread on recommended tradies on this forum.

My criteria for hiring tradies are reliability, turning up on time, attitude, price, and knowledge of where to source building materials locally for a good price.

I like serviceseeking.com.au for finding tradies if you absolutely don't know anybody.

Yen

Hi x452.

Are you renovating for sale, increased equity or to improve your rental income? Or are you planning to move in yourself? Your renovation jobs and costings will differ depending upon what you are trying to achieve.

If you want, you can email me some photos and outline your intentions. I will give you some ideas on the best way to go about it.

Cheers, Julie.

All of the above Julie but I was just info gathering. As I just bought the IP and it has been rented out for 12 months I will put any reno's on hold until either necessary or prior to sale.

Thanks for your offer to help though!

$10k bathroom (rip everything out, re-waterproof, retile floor to wall, new tub, new basin, new toilet - but leave everything in the same location, floor tiles ontop of existing tiles - you do nothing)
$8k - kitchen (you rip out old kitchen, installer comes into to install new kitchen (stone, poly doors), appliances and appliances install extra, everything left in the same location).
$3k paint (thats paying someone, but i recommend doing it yourself if you have the time - if you're lazy, pay someone to do the ceiling, but walls are easy).

I'm with neK; $10k-$12k for kitchen all up + another $10k for bathroom (maybe a touch less depending on how much tiling/waterproofing you need to do + I'd allow $5k - $6k for painting. Hopefully you can do for less (especially if you DIY) but better to err on the side of caution I always say!

Back