Bathroom Design Ideas

Hi all,

We are just about to start renovating the "kids bathroom" in our PPOR (which may become an IP in the future), but I am struggling with selecting tiles, layout, etc.

We are doing it on a fairly tight budget and just want a simple functional design that wont date too badly...we will be doing the work ourselves (except plumbing and electrics of course :) )

Does anyone know of any bathroom design websites with photos? For simple things, like should you tile up the side of the bath with the same tile as the floor or the wall?? Just need some ideas!!

Cheers,
Nadia

I think the ikea website has a bathroom design tool.

When we did our bathroom, they tiled the bath with the wall tile, not the floor tile.

Make sure you consider storage space... I hate bathrooms with no space to store toiletries etc.

Grays ONline sometimes have good specials on bathroom fixtures... although sometimes the bidding can get out of hand.

We recessed our mirrored cabinet and it looks much neater than one that is fully in front of the wall.

Hi Nards

We got new bathroom tiles/basin/mirror at auction at a great price. Check your local yellow pages. Floor tiles different to wall tiles for contrast. Tiled 3/4 up the walls then painted the top 1/4.

Hi Nards,

Are you pulling the bathroom out and starting again? You may find that you can work with what you have already and just change a few of the fixtures and finishes in there. I have loads of clients renovating (mostly investors) on a tight budget and my advice is usually to re-use what they can. Sometimes this is possible - sometimes not. You would be surprised at what amazing change you can make to a room by renovating this way (and usually only costs a few thousand - if that!).

A website you might be interested in is www.renovi.com.au where you can buy vanities, tapware, baths (I think) etc... They have a $99 max delivery fee which I think is awesome. I have sent a few of my clients their way and their website is really good and clear.

Good luck - and I hope that helps.

Hi,

Yes, I had found that website before, from somewhere on the forum! Thanks, though!

I have also had a look at the renovation forums - they sure are a wealth of info, and will be sure to go back there for advice...

We are recycling the bathtub, however the rest needs to go due to water damage because of cracked tiles. We have just been to an auction and picked up a vanity and tapware at about 1/2 of retail price, so already ahead there...

I might take a wander through some display homes on the weekend, to get some inspiration/ideas..

Cheers, Nadia

hi nards,

We recently did a bathroom reno and sought our vanity from bathroom warehouse at osbourne park which price wise was quite reasonable and not to exp we had the same issue as yourself we wanted a bathroom website for inspiration but couldnt find one in the end we just bought a bathroom mag which had heaps off diffenet designs. have a look through the pics on the forum here too hope this helps.:)

Bathrooms At Auctions R Us

Hi there,
If you are in Queensland or New South Wales you can buy your budget bathrooms through Auctions R Us.

www. auctionsrus.com.au

Hope this helps

A

Hey Nathan - nice job on that bathroom. Particularly like the vertical strips. Couldn't use that affect in these bathrooms as you need the full wall for affect.

Presently we are fitting out 6 bathrooms 3 this month and 3 next month. We tend to shop around a bit to try and get the look we are after at the best price possible.

Recently we have been using these guys for our bathroom products. They have a store on Ebay but if in Sydney you can deal direct.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Osmans-Home-Improvements__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Bought 3 pedestal basins - paid $140 each including the waste (not including the mixer). He is expecting similar ones for sub $100 in a week or two.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350254538730&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Bought 3 over bath shower screens (fix and swinging) $230 each

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190366492200&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Shaving cabinet 750mm wide for $100

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-PENCIL-E...mQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item5190e66bf5

As you can see received discounts on all items even though they were already good prices. It did help that I mentioned how many bathrooms I was doing.;)

For tiles we use TFO (Tile factory outlet) - lots of different porcelain tiles for around $15-20 per meter.

Bought the taps and mixers at Bunnings - $25 per set of taps for bath and shower and about the $50 per mixer (basin or sink).

I would have bought the toilet suites at the Ebay place - nice coupled porcelain set for very reasonable prices ($170) but we already had a number of these bought some time back.

I know that these costs may not help you directly as these are all Sydney based and a long way from Perth, but at least it can give you some guidance as to what is available.

Cheers

There are an infinite number of different bathroom designs that can be implemented in a home, but many of the bathroom designs have similar elements that allow them to be groups into a specific category. There are many manufactures that create bathroom fixtures in sets or series so that a homeowner can choose the pieces that they desire without having to purchase the entire bathroom set. Another decision that will have to be made is which colors should be used in the bathroom design. Bright and light colors on the walls have the ability to open up smaller areas and bold colors can be used as accents in the room to draw the eye. In larger bathroom areas, the colors that are used in the design are not as important as darker colors will still allow the room to feel more spacious than claustrophobic to the individuals using it.

Renovating a kid's bathroom was actually hard. Planning a new bathroom can be a daunting task and there are many things that should be taken into account before getting started. It is best to seek online some ways and cool design that your kids will truly love.

Bathroom Renovation for Kids

Hi,

I totally understand where you are coming from. In my travels to find somewhere that has quality tiles but an excellent price, I found Tile Factory Outlet.

I dont really know a thing about tiles or bathrooms or renovating, but at this place, the guys there know what they are talking about and they didnt try to force the sale down my throat either (which I found at other places). Another place I found really good to, was called Tiles to Go, I think they are located in northmead...check them out too.

I definately think you should give it a go. They are located in Smithfield, just google them and you should find them.

All the best with you bathroom, I hope you find TFO as helpful as I have.

Renovator:):)

Osman at Graville is pretty good as stated above. I have got most of my bathroom equipment from them.

Stick to whites for the bathroom. Whites dont date as quickly.

I got prices advertised by TFO from a tile shop in seven hills.

Back