Do you want Australia to become a republic or remain part of the Commonwealth

• I'd like Australia to become a republic

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • I'd like Australia to remain part of the Commonwealth

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
This topic came up in another thread and I'm curious to see what other SSers think. Should we become a republic or not?

Vote and/or discuss!

Edit: Exchange the word Commonwealth for Monarchy in poll options. SYD pointed out the error but I can't change the poll options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lean slightly towards a republic. It would be another step in the maturity of our nation.

But on the other hand I always think if it's not broken don't fix it.

You're right, SYD, a republic can still be a member of the Commonwealth e.g. India, Pakistan, though I suspect the only benefit of being a Commonwealth republic is to participate in the Commonwealth Games.

I can't change the poll options so just mentally exchange the word Commonwealth with Monarchy when voting.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Becoming a republic would add a new layer of politicisation, which is only to the detriment of the successful running of the country.

I think Australia should declare itself the 51st state of the USA.

Failing that, it should be a republic on its own.

President : datto :D

I don't think I'd trust our current politicians to put a better system in place than what we've already got.

LOL @ trust,better the devil you know?

I think the system in place is crap,how could politicians make it worse?

Answer:They'd do a bloody great job at lining there own pockets.

IE:

art_w_dyson_0304-620x349.jpg

Then let me ask Spades, if you think it's crap, how would you change it?

The current system isn't perfect, but it's better than most out there.

Of course, if you've got the answer to that question, then the follow up is why aren't you doing something about it? Politics isn't that simple. To get to the position where you can actually make a difference, you've got to make a lot of compromises. It's these compromises that dilute what you're trying to do.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

Becoming a republic would add a new layer of politicisation, which is only to the detriment of the successful running of the country.

Really?

Other than renaming the Governor General as President with he/she covering much the same duties what else would you suggest we need to add?

What does the Monarchy do for us other than signing off on laws and some ceremonial duties?

G'day Peter,Hope all is well :)

Anyhow transparency would be start on how tax $$$'s are spent.

Question time is joke and they could take a leaf from NZ.

Really?

Other than renaming the Governor General as President with he/she covering much the same duties what else would you suggest we need to add?

What does the Monarchy do for us other than signing off on laws and some ceremonial duties?

This one :)

Hopefully in time, the media would stop the cringing attitude that most things from OS are better than ours.

I simply cannot believe that as a nation we still need Mummy to hold our hand, grow up Australia !

Really?

It could be argued that a monarch is a far better symbol than a president. A US style president has much more power than the Queen does in Australia, whereas a monarch is seen as a figurehead without specific political interests.

In the past during times of conflict, the British people have rallied behind the Queen but not necessarily the Prime Minister. In their eyes, the head of state is seen as a constant whilst the leadership is a popularity contest. Other democracies which a monarch head of state have shown the same connection (the Netherlands is an excellent example of this).

Obviously Australia and other Commonwealth countries don't have quite the same connection, but for some people it is very real.

I don't entirely disagree with a different head of state, but a dramatic change opens the opportunity for the politicians (and more specifically lobbyists) to insert structures that are less inclined to serve the people.

G'day Peter,Hope all is well :)

Anyhow transparency would be start on how tax $$$'s are spent.

Question time is joke and they could take a leaf from NZ.

And now the obvious response, so run for parliament and do something about it. :D

This isn't a problem with the political system. Our budget is reasonably transparent if you're willing to go digging. The problem is we're reduced to a 24 hour news cycle designed to sell advertising space. We get told what they want us to hear via sensationalist headlines. Newscorp looses millions every year but Murdock holds onto it simply because it's an investment in POWER, not money.

And now the obvious response, so run for parliament and do something about it. :D

Mate,i'm a layman though if they need a spin doctor i'm in ;) -Joking btw.

Seriously,these pollies need a reailty check (Typos expected cbf) and be accountable...There wages,there super,there spending,there expenditure etc etc.

My X-flatmate watched question time ,3 stints of that crap was enough for me.[ /COLOR]

This isn't a problem with the political system. Our budget is reasonably transparent if you're willing to go digging. The problem is we're reduced to a 24 hour news cycle designed to sell advertising space. We get told what they want us to hear via sensationalist headlines. Newscorp looses millions every year but Murdock holds onto it simply because it's an investment in POWER, not money.

Re:Budget being transparent-Ok,do you agree with the outlay on infrastructure etc etc?

I agree with you Peter re:media and condensed is nothing more than a furph.

Last edited:
I think you're looking for a perfect world where nothing would ever get done because consulting the public at every move simply doesn't work either. Budget transparency to that degree incorporates so much red tape that the government would be completely ineffective.

I don't disagree with what you're suggesting, but show me another country that does do what you're asking?

As to their wages, etc. That's got nothing to do with the type and structure of government and everything to do with the people in government. I've met and had a lot of discussions with people from these forums, I don't think some people around here should be throwing stones on that topic.

Back