Berwick

I have an IP in the area. Never had a problem finding tenants . Since I don't want to buy more in one area, I am not buying again. Otherwise I am happy to invest in another. Cheers

I lived in Berwick and liked it but wouldn't buy or live there again.

1 - FAR too many people for FAR too little infrastructure. To shop at our local supermarket we had to park in the estate next door and walk there, it is mobbed.

2 - FAR too much land available and being release to develop all the time. When you get to Berwick, head from the bottom of the high street and drive out toward Cranbourne along Clyde Road. The amount of new estates popping up is mind boggling. That can't be good for price growth of existing when the rate of new builds is staggering. It took us over 6 months to sell our Berwick house, (new build), we weren't asking the earth but people were put off by the constant building of new stock all around us. We came out of it about evens, (PPOR so profit making wasnt the primary goal at the tmioe), but we could have done a lot better with our money had we bought elsewhere. If you Google sattalit voew Clyde Road you'll see it's all fields, whereas in realuity most of the land along that corridor is now new estates.

3 - Yes, there is a station but you need to be there at 6am to get a parking spot.

4 - Casey council are not shy in releasing land, (and rates are quite expensive).

5 - Monash Freeway. Don't even think about driving to the city for work on that thing. Once accident pretty much anywhere along it brings it to it's knees.

Look, we enjoyed living there for the brief time we did but the influx of people, masses of new building (not just the odd new houses but entire new estates one after another) and the lack of adequate infrastructure just wasn't appealing.

I'm no expert, but there'd be better places to park your money than Berwick.

As for Dandenong/Hallam. I don't know much about them as far as investment but there not places I'd want to live or invest. I work in Dandenong.

Funnily enough, you say you went to Newcastle? That is a place we shortlisted but found something in Western Sydney instead. I'm interested in why you;d look down in Berwick/Dandy as opposed to Newcastle if it's considerably closer and may have more potential?

Thanks again guys for the replies I really appreciate it

I just seen on this site yourinvestmentpropertymag.com.au to watch out for Berwick. I copied and pasted something from there in a earlier post. I do have a budget and most things I have been reading was to buy with own title house ect and stay away from strata investments.

Newcastle I don't think I'm going to get a house in my $350,000 budget range. We did look at one at $350000 but it was west Waratah and needed to much work.

I have been following Geelong and not much selling there in the areas I've been watching and some have actually dropped in there asking price. I would like to pick up a cheap house now in Geelong and wait for the turn around again in the future as this is for long term. Even with some manufacturing leaving there Geelong is still predicted to grow in population in coming years.

Even with some manufacturing leaving there Geelong is still predicted to grow in population in coming years.

Hi

Wouldn't these 2 factors indicate that property prices should continue to come down in Geelong? Wouldn't it be worth waiting a little bit of time and try and take advantage of this downturn?

Regards,

alicudi

I only have a small budget really and buying something old worries me that why I chose that area. What areas do you think D-one?

It depends on your budget. If I have 900k and buying in Melbourne, I'll be looking at Prahan or Elsterwick.

For 650, I'll be looking at Kensington, flemington and Chadstone.

Thanks again guys for the replies I really appreciate it

I just seen on this site yourinvestmentpropertymag.com.au to watch out for Berwick. I copied and pasted something from there in a earlier post. I do have a budget and most things I have been reading was to buy with own title house ect and stay away from strata investments.

Newcastle I don't think I'm going to get a house in my $350,000 budget range. We did look at one at $350000 but it was west Waratah and needed to much work.

I have been following Geelong and not much selling there in the areas I've been watching and some have actually dropped in there asking price. I would like to pick up a cheap house now in Geelong and wait for the turn around again in the future as this is for long term. Even with some manufacturing leaving there Geelong is still predicted to grow in population in coming years.

Newcastle is still quite affordable. For $350k, you will get stock in New Lambton, Waratah, and even Mayfield West. You may need to do cosmetic reno on these stock though.

Hi

Wouldn't these 2 factors indicate that property prices should continue to come down in Geelong? Wouldn't it be worth waiting a little bit of time and try and take advantage of this downturn?

Regards,

alicudi

Yes I agree with you now. I'll wait and see what happens here in the future.

Newcastle is still quite affordable. For $350k, you will get stock in New Lambton, Waratah, and even Mayfield West. You may need to do cosmetic reno on these stock though.

D_One Thanks I'm having a look now and there is one that I think looks good in Mayfield. I can't make it there this weekend I hope it there the following weekend so I can have a look.

Back