best broadband supplier

now that i've gotten off my backside and actually thinking about getting the phone connected down in SA, i'm not sure who to go with.

i am after broadband that has unlimited downloads, and a land line. i also want something that is reliable.

currently with bigpond (unlimited downloads and have never had to call the help centre in 5 years) - costing me $60/mth, and the phone line is with optus for call costs only (no line rental cost).

any suggestions on alternatives, or shud i just stick with these guys?

Do the 'unlimited' downloads on big pond slow down at a certain point? (eg. 3 gigs full speed and then 1980's-modem-speed after that?)

I always recommend against telstra/optus for serious users... TPG or Internode.

I second Shady's motion to check out the Whirlpool forums.

Hi lizzie,

I use Internode. I have the Naked ADSL2+ which is broadband connection and VOIP. I'm on the $75 a month plan with 25 gigs limit (slows down to 64 kbps if I go over, but don't get charged extra) and the phone costs me $10 a month, but there's no land line rental and I get $10 credit a month. So all up $85 bucks, which is cheaper than what I was paying before with a land line through Telstra (aka the biggest rip off ever in history).

I know there are cheaper deals out there, but I'm willing to pay the extra because Internode are beyond fantastic and well worth spending the extra couple of bucks a month.

Mark

i am after broadband that has unlimited downloads, and a land line. i also want something that is reliable.

When you mean unlimited do you mean that once you hit your monthly d/l limit your speed gets 'shaped' to a slower speed but you can still keep d/l or do you mean unlimited d/l on the highest speed?

Just be careful with most "Naked DSL" packages, becasue they will count your uploads as well as downloads when working out your useage..... whereas most normal ADSL packages only count downloads to your useage.
This is very important if you plan on using bittorrent.

I use iinet. Fantasic service, very fast, never crashes.... but their call centre is quite slow unfortunately. Im on their Home 4 package, which is 15GB peak downloads (midday - 2am) and 30GB offpeak, costs $90/mth with the phone line.

Not many people really need that much, unless you are regularly downloading content from bitorrent. The good thing about bittorrent is you can schedule your downloads to only download during the offpeak times whilst you are asleep :)

Naked DSL is really good if you arent using bittorrent, and a fair bit cheaper than the normal bundled phone+adsl packages.

...15GB peak downloads (midday - 2am) and 30GB offpeak, costs $90/mth with the phone line.

Not many people really need that much, unless you are regularly downloading content from bitorrent.

I recently decided to download the TV series '24'. The download for all 6 seasons is 58.9 GB.

Limits are really easy to reach if you search for bluray, hdtv, 1080p, etc!

Naked DSL is really good if you arent using bittorrent, and a fair bit cheaper than the normal bundled phone+adsl packages.

I'd like to edit that to 'Internode Naked ADSL is really great if you use bittorent (not that I d/l copyrighted material of course)'. Internode never has charged for uploads and the service is fantastic.

I changed to Naked ADSL about two months ago and haven't regretted it for one second. I can't speak for other internet providers, but I'll recommend Internode to anyone and everyone who'll listen.

Mark

I've gone through quite a few ISP including Internode, TPG, Bigpond, Exetel and Westnet.

My recommendation is if you want lots of downloads for cheap then go with TPG ADSL2+ for $70 pm you get 40GB during peek and 110GB off peak. However their speed is not consistent and customer service ain't the greatest. You need to be on a Telstra phone line to use them.

If you want consistent speed with great customer service then go with Internode. However, you can only get their ADSL2+ in certain areas or you have to go with ADSL1. $60 pm gets you 25 or 15GB depending on either ADSL2+ or ADSL1.

Both of them lets you keep on downloading past your quota (essentially what you define as 'unlimited') but at a drastically reduced speed.

Bigpond, Exetel and Westnet hover between those two in terms of price, quality and download quota.

If you want consistent speed with great customer service then go with Internode. However, you can only get their ADSL2+ in certain areas or you have to go with ADSL1. $60 pm gets you 25 or 15GB depending on either ADSL2+ or ADSL1.

My understanding is you can get Naked ADSL2+ pretty much anywhere (I can't get ADSL2+ here, but have Naked ADSL2+). I love it, because no landline rental equals no dealing with Telstra, whom I think it's best if I don't openly express how I feel about them as there are sensitive eyeballs that read the forum.

Mark

I haven't been able to get ADSL2 in Newcastle as yet. When I can I intend to go naked.

Was cold called by Telstra yesterday asking if I wanted unlimited broadband for $60 with half price for 12 months. I asked about going naked and the girl thought I was being rude to her ...

The offer sounded decent until I remembered I hated Telstra and wanted to go naked to sever my last remaining contact with them...

I use Internodes 40GB plan and we hit the limit every month between the four of us ... I suspect my daughters spend more time on youtube than I realise ...

My recommendation is if you want lots of downloads for cheap then go with TPG ADSL2+
That's what I'm on, and have been pretty impressed so far.

My total bill is:

TPG ADSL2+ 30GB Plan $40
Telstra Landline $20
MyNetPhone VOIP Usage $15
TOTAL $75

My TPG Plan is actually the VOIP Plan with $10 worth of free usage a month but I never figured out how to configure my Netcomm NB5Plus4 to use their service so just kept running with MyNetPhone on the Whirlpool Saver plan with usage only charges at great rates.

I'd really love to ditch that $20 a month to Telstra for absolutely squat! I use VOIP 100% so that is entirely just budget line rental with all calls charged to MyNetPhone. What a rip off!!

Cheers,
Michael

We are on the Optus Fusion 90 plan, $90 per month, we have not been "slowed down" on this plan so far and there are four of us using it. Local calls are free and no line rental.

Internode is by far the best (in my opinion), especially in Adelaide.

Look into their ADSL2+ plans and Naked DSL plans - could be cheaper overall - especially if you combine it with NodePhone for VoIP.

Not the cheapest, but one of the most reliable and best quality broadband services available.

I agree with Sim and Mark.

I'd go for Internode for great customer service and speeds, especially as you're in South Australia.

Back