Best free credit card for earning rewards

Hi all,

So I have a pretty awesome AMEX - fantastic card and I am very happy with it. But there are still quite a few things that I can't pay by AMEX and need to use a regular mastercard or VISA. My current card is very simple - no annual fee, but no reward points either.

I'm looking for the best possible free card in terms of accumulating reward points (of some nature). No annual fee is a must, as is a 55-60 day interest free period (although I think this is pretty standard these days). Interest rate is irrelevant, as I have direct debits in place to make sure no interest is ever paid.

Anybody have any recommendations?

I've found a HSBC platinum promotion that is on at the moment, but their rewards program is pretty ****ty (i.e. not a very good exchange rate of points to dollars).

Who do you have the AMEX through? I have an AMEX through both CBA and NAB and they both provide either a MasterCard or VISA with the AMEX for free.

there was a great anz card deal a month ago, not sure if its still available. anyhow anz cc , no annual fee for first yr and 50 000 bonus qantas frequent flyer points (if u spend a certain amount in first month)

Who do you have the AMEX through? I have an AMEX through both CBA and NAB and they both provide either a MasterCard or VISA with the AMEX for free.

My AMEX is through AMEX :)

TMNT, doesn't look like CitiBank offer that anymore.

At the moment, the two best options I've found (from a quick search) are:

- Coles flybuy - 0.5 flybuys per dollar spent
- HSBC platinum - Promotional offer with a free annual fee for perpetuity, 10,000 points at sign up, 1 point per dollar spent.

HSBC is better - the exchange rate isn't as good on the points, but it earns twice as many points. A bit annoying that it is a distinct rewards program though as it takes longer to actually get anything.

there was a great anz card deal a month ago, not sure if its still available. anyhow anz cc , no annual fee for first yr and 50 000 bonus qantas frequent flyer points (if u spend a certain amount in first month)

That is still available - I'm trying to apply for it, but for some reason the application hasn't processed properly.

This is just a once off though - I'm looking for a card I can use indefinitely (i.e. no annual fee).

Why not get the Woolworths one (HSBC) - or the equivalent Coles card? You get extra points for shopping at their stores. Rewards card can be linked so it all works smoothly.

Look for a card that gives at least 1 QFF per $1 spent. Usually these are platinum level cards.

Some of the best deals are if you're on wealth packages and get a card in with that which usually has annual fee waived.

Look for a card that gives at least 1 QFF per $1 spent. Usually these are platinum level cards.

Some of the best deals are if you're on wealth packages and get a card in with that which usually has annual fee waived.

I try and look for $1:1 Qantas point with no annual fee,

unfortuatnely, they are hard to come by now

I use the Coles Flybuy (though I have the $50 a year card).

I spend enough through the card that each week or two I shop I get $10 off my groceries by redeeming 2000 points. When I looked at it when I signed up it was the best deal for me, since I already shopped at Coles and get my petrol from Shell.

My platinum CBA AMEX and Mastercard works well.
You get points and some other benefits along with it. (eg: travel insurance if you buy)
Only down fall, 395 annual fee (think its called wealth package, something or rather), it is linked to my loan.

I also have another one called 28 degrees, which I use purely for travel purposes. No annual fee, no international transaction fee, saved me heaps while I did my lap around the world.

I also have another to buy furniture, interest free card, cant remember what its called, from memory its green, and most retailers accept this under their Interest free terms.

HSBC are also sending me letter by the day, asking me to upgrade my card.

At end of day, choosing a card really depends on your need.
For me, no annual fee with longer payment period works well for me

My AMEX is through AMEX :)

BLTN, what extra's do you get from going directly through AMEX and how much is the Annual Fee?

A mate put his business card directly through AMEX and said he gets a free domestic flight once a year but I think the AF was quite high...

1 reward point for $1 spent. On par with the other banks for a free additional MC.

im talking about qantas points, its 0.625 or 0.675 per $1 spent,

Amex CBA gets you $1.5 per $, which is what I use for everything possible,

and the places where amex is not accepted or surcharged, id use a $1:1 ratio qantas card, if I had one, but unfortunately I dont

im talking about qantas points, its 0.625 or 0.675 per $1 spent,

Amex CBA gets you $1.5 per $, which is what I use for everything possible,

and the places where amex is not accepted or surcharged, id use a $1:1 ratio qantas card, if I had one, but unfortunately I dont

Im not following, CBA don't do Qantas points.

What do you guys use your reward points on?

How can you get free flights? I have not yet heard of this?

I use my NAB (frequent flyer points) to transfer for flights and I use my CBA (rewards points) to redeem for prepaid VISA cards.

NAB is for personal use. CBA for business.

I try and look for $1:1 Qantas point with no annual fee,

unfortuatnely, they are hard to come by now

Yeah, aside from promotions, it doesn't seem like you can get these anymore (and typically the promotions seem to be no annual fee for the first year only)

BLTN, what extra's do you get from going directly through AMEX and how much is the Annual Fee?

A mate put his business card directly through AMEX and said he gets a free domestic flight once a year but I think the AF was quite high...

Yeah it's the same card - free return domestic flight every year, annual fee of $149 (I think its higher now - but once you get the card, the fee is fixed in perpetuity)

Very good reward points - 3 points per dollar spent at woolies and coles (and a few other places), 2 points per dollar on fuel and 1 point practically everywhere else (except utilities, 0.5 points). I recently redeemed $300 worth of gift vouchers at Woolies or Coles at a value of $8.24 / 1,000 points. That is an excellent redemption rate as well. And they have promos on stuff like that all the time.

It is a very good card - the return flight (if you live in WA) is worth at least $300 itself and you can transfer it (read 'sell it') to someone else if you don't want to use it

Back