Best way to gain approval

Ok, so the new PPOR has had a single garage converted to a family room / bedroom without council approval.

I plan on doing some other renos later on, so will need to think about getting approval.

What is the best (and cheapest) method of approaching this so that I can get a building certificate (or whatever it is I need) so that the conversion becomes legitimate, and at the same time minimizing the risk of being issued a "reverse the conversion" type order?

Thanks,
Neil

It will be assessed as of current BCA regs, so check ceiling height (minimum 2.4m) and fire proofing. These are the two main things they will pull you up on.

Also check for a proper damp course (many garages dont have one), ventilation and verify that it doesnt encroach on the minimum distance to boundary or maximum net habitable space regs from the council.

As its already been done you wont need to submit a DA for it, but you will need to get a CC to cover the works. Get a surveyor in to map it out, pay council for the CC and then use a private certifier to issue an occupation certificate. So long as it all complies (near enough) with the BCA it should be relatively easy.

It will be assessed as of current BCA regs, so check ceiling height (minimum 2.4m) and fire proofing. These are the two main things they will pull you up on.

Also check for a proper damp course (many garages dont have one), ventilation and verify that it doesnt encroach on the minimum distance to boundary or maximum net habitable space regs from the council.

As its already been done you wont need to submit a DA for it, but you will need to get a CC to cover the works. Get a surveyor in to map it out, pay council for the CC and then use a private certifier to issue an occupation certificate. So long as it all complies (near enough) with the BCA it should be relatively easy.

Thanks Dave

Would the surveyor be able to tell me whether it meets the BCA?
If not, who could I call on to help?

Thanks
Neil

Back