BHP-where to next?

Do you consider any of these to be relevant to BHP? I don't. The thread heading is about BHP afterall.

And it is absurd to lump all share investments into a single "shares" basket as Feihong has done.

You mean like you talk about other stocks on this thread.
Stop being the kettle calling the pot black.
Or did i forget its after 9pm and you've hit the bottle already.:eek:

ease up guys - take it to PM already.

i'm looking at it from a technical perspective there, Sunfish. bearish market we may be, but there's a solid line of higher lows in all those graphs.

Do you consider any of these to be relevant to BHP? I don't. The thread heading is about BHP afterall.

And it is absurd to lump all share investments into a single "shares" basket as Feihong has done.

Hey Thommo,

You definately add spice to this forum. I do start start to worry about getting old though as I have even noticed that I'm getting a bit grumpier with age lately:D

Chilliaa, I have just given myself a good spanking for discussing stocks other than BHP on this thread, I suggest you do the same and apologise to Thommo:D:D:D

Cheers - Gordon

Once again this sounds structurally sound in theory in practice its VERY hard to time. If you look back over the last thirty odd years, being invested in cash for more than one year has rearly worked.

In regards to buying in the recovery phase, the answer depends on
1) the economic strength of the underlying company.
2) the markets sentiment.

As with any long term investment there are two criteria's both of which have to be fullfilled in order to reap above market returns
1) Get the company right
2) Get the price right.

I totally agree with your points regarding the fundamental. Recognising the general market cycle and trend can help profitability as well, like what Keith has done intuitively. No one can be spot on with exact high and low, but decision after trend confirmation does help a bit. Regarding bhp, even though we all know it's a fantastic company, market sentiment still rules the day. The road to recovery to previous high is long and windy as market confidence takes time to restore, and hence my suggestion about the asset cycles. (i was indeed talking about bhp mainly as an indicator to xjo, not just lump everything together :)

There is one sector that's holding up and that's healthcare. Property trusts, banks, mining all risky at the moment.

There is one sector that's holding up and that's healthcare. Property trusts, banks, mining all risky at the moment.

So keep your portfolio diversified. There are many stocks that are still 20% above their july lows. Many industrial stocks hit their lows in July after short selling and panic selling (margin calls?). I am not saying that these support levels wont be tested again, but the key to remember is just like the property market, the stock market is comprised of a number of INDIVIDUAL companies.

Use the current uncertain time to look for those diamond companies that are normally excessively priced, but at the moment are being thrown out with all the medicore companies. When stress in the market really goes up, peoples attitudes are 'just get me out, forget fundamentals i want out of here'.

For those that can weather this volatility there are EXCELLENT opportunities in setting up a sound base for the next five years. Tomorow who knows, next week who knows, next month who knows, but 5 years BINGO, and i can nearly guarantee that the returns over 5 years will be a hell of a lot better than residential property returns over the next 5 years.

I have been going through financial ratios of key stocks i hold and i cant find anything this good for the last TEN YEARS.

The key is not to over extend yourself as in its current form the market is quite capable of droping 20% in a couple of days if a really big bang occurs.

Reactions: BV
The big question is HAS THE MARKET BOTTOMED?
BHP is not a proxy of the market!!!!!!! I consider it a proxy of the resources market.

Need proof? On Monday it opened @ $34.47 and closed today @ $35.65. So nobody got rich on that it beats the heck out of holding the financial whiz kid stuff.

The big question is HAS THE MARKET BOTTOMED?
Hard to say but a least we are in a free country and you can invest in whatever you want,unlike the Russian Stock Market where they stoped trading for a second day in a row after their banks and other section of the market go into free fall,interesting times..imho willair..

Hard to say but a least we are in a free country and you can invest in whatever you want,unlike the Russian Stock Market where they stoped trading for a second day in a row after their banks and other section of the market go into free fall,interesting times..imho willair..
Well the US have fixed circuit breakers on their markets, probably a lot of capital markets do I suspect. For a good laugh have a look at the way Pakistan attempted to regulate their stock market recently.

A few people that i talk too think BHP will go down too 15 bucks,must be hard for those that bought in at $46-$49 mark,and now it's about to go down to those low levels,nothing is safe anymore,miners-banks,just look at the price of RIO,from the highs of $150.00of one year ago down too $66:rolleyes:,what a shocker but then you have Fortescue Metals from above $12 down too the $1.355,and i still think the bottom trend is a long way off,the only safe place for cash is in the bank...
willair..IMHO..

A few people that i talk too think BHP will go down too 15 bucks,must be hard for those that bought in at $46-$49 mark,and now it's about to go down to those low levels,nothing is safe anymore,miners-banks,just look at the price of RIO,from the highs of $150.00of one year ago down too $66:rolleyes:,what a shocker but then you have Fortescue Metals from above $12 down too the $1.355,and i still think the bottom trend is a long way off,the only safe place for cash is in the bank...
willair..IMHO..

Cash underperforms the market in the long run. Look at some of the dividend yields of some of these solid companies. It's 50-100% more then what you would get in a high interest bank account

Cash underperforms the market in the long run. Look at some of the dividend yields of some of these solid companies. It's 50-100% more then what you would get in a high interest bank account
Vla, yes and no there are times that it's safer to park your money in the bank,from what i'm told some high end miners will be paying 50% less in div's next year,i have my entry levels set in place if they don't go down to those levels,then the cash will stay where it is,the market we are now in there is no room for mistakes,and i have made some big ones over the past 12 weeks..imho..
willair..

Vla, yes and no there are times that it's safer to park your money in the bank,from what i'm told some high end miners will be paying 50% less in div's next year,i have my entry levels set in place if they don't go down to those levels,then the cash will stay where it is,the market we are now in there is no room for mistakes,and i have made some big ones over the past 12 weeks..imho..
willair..

Willair, I cannot knock your strategy if it has worked for you. But this event that is happening in the stockmarket is probably once in a working lifetime event. I see irrational selling at the moment. If your investment horizon is 1 year then cash is the best option but over 10 years is it considering bank interest is getting lower and lower?

I keep out of shares, too stressfull for me.
BUT... even I might jump in and grab 1,000 BHP soon if this keeps up.
Too good to pass up long term!

Back