Biased Umpires

In a really bad mood right now. Swannies just went down to the bombers by a point. I'm so sick of swannies getting hammered by the umpires week after week....esp Barry Hall. They are so biased against him!

Those who regualry follow swannies game would know what I'm talking about. I cant believe the AFL doesnt do anything about it. When someone complains, they have to pay heavy fines. They are all sold out. Including Andrew Demetriu. It's all about business and officials these days. They dont care about the game or players anymore. The game revovles around them.

Awww poor bebe, your team lost. It's a bit of a laugh really, when I used to go the footy 20 years ago, it was the same story - people who followed the losing team would always whinge about the umpires being 'biased'. Nothing to do with your team not being the best one on the day of course....

Mark

Doesnt matter if we are winning or losing the bad decisions are always going our way. Even when we're winning all frees are against us. In 2005 when we won the grand final and we were number 1 in most frees against. It's the skills of our players that gets us through but umpires always make sure that they give us a tough time.

I bet your a Richmond or carlton supporter thats why the last game you went to was 20years ago. because there is no point in going anymore...you already know your gonna lose. :cool:

In a really bad mood right now. Swannies just went down to the bombers by a point. I'm so sick of swannies getting hammered by the umpires week after week....esp Barry Hall. They are so biased against him!

Those who regularly follow swannies game would know what I'm talking about. I cant believe the AFL doesn't do anything about it. When someone complains, they have to pay heavy fines. They are all sold out. Including Andrew Demetriu. It's all about business and officials these days. They dont care about the game or players anymore. The game revovles around them.

So its not just one umpire , but all umpires are biased against your team.
That s terrible.
Can you explain exactly under what circumstances this happens.
Can you give 10 examples.
I will then be able to really be observant to these errors.

You'd think if the swans players knew the rules so well then it wouldn't be that difficult for the umpires to learn them.
Maybe its having 2 umpires is the problem.It must have been shocking in the days of one umpire.

If you were an umpire it might also help others to be convinced by your claim.
You should try it.You would be very fair and make an excellent umpire. The swans would then probably win even more games and Barry's life would be so much easier.

Last edited:
Doesnt matter if we are winning or losing the bad decisions are always going our way. Even when we're winning all frees are against us. In 2005 when we won the grand final and we were number 1 in most frees against. It's the skills of our players that gets us through but umpires always make sure that they give us a tough time.

You gotta be kidding, right?

I bet your a Richmond or carlton supporter thats why the last game you went to was 20years ago. because there is no point in going anymore...you already know your gonna lose.

I don't follow the AFL anymore, haven't for years. Although if the Pies are in the Grand Final, I'll watch it on the telly. I like/follow real football (soccer). A true game of skill where a team doesn't score even if they miss and the ball is actually handled with the foot, rather than running around with it in your hands.

Mark

Everyone should have a go at umpiring once in their lives.

At least the AFL, NRL refs are getting paid. What about all the unpaid ones every weekend, all around the country. Getting abused, for doing their best.

I take my hat off to ya's.

Thank god for the umpires/refs. A thankless job.

See ya's.

There is no need for me to give examples. Watch all the Swans games for this season, past season and the season before that. You will get all your answers.

There were many instances where the oppsition was awarded a free-kick when it wasnt even there. One instance was when Barry Hall legaly hip n shouldered Mal Michael and then went on to kick a goal but umpire disallowed it citing a push in the back. I never knew that your back is located on your side.

I believe there should be a rule change with umprining decisions. Like they had in cricket awhile ago. You can appeal against 3 umpiring decisions if the player thinks he's been given the wrong decision.

Surprise Surprise! Guess who's at the top of the table for most frees against. While I acknowlege players do give away frees but since Ive watched all those games then I can confidently tell atleast half of them are incorrect decisions.

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/St...abid/260/Type/8/Season/8/Team/-1/Default.aspx

Last edited:
One instance was when Barry Hall legally hip n shouldered Mal Michael and then went on to kick a goal but umpire disallowed it citing a push in the back.

I am a Swannies fan as well Ahmed and I agree totally with you about Barry Hall being disliked by the Umpires. Mathew Lloyd or Nick Reiwolt get the softest free kicks payed in their favor all the time, probably because they are "nice Bloke's" but that shouldn't count for anything in a game of footy. Barry has to work so much harder for his contested marks as the umpires never give him anything. You hear the commentators talking about it during the games, as well as the crowd cheering when he does (very rarely) get a free kick payed in his favor.

I agree though, I have umpired occasionally and it isn't a nice job. You need to be a...................."special"...........person to be able to referee.

I like/follow real football (soccer). A true game of skill where a team doesn't score even if they miss and the ball is actually handled with the foot, rather than running around with it in your hands.

As for soccer it requires an extremely high amount of skill to be able to do what they do, and I know it is the most followed sport in the world.....But watching a game for 90 mins only to come out at the end with a nil all draw doesn't sit well with me as a spectator. Not a very entertaining game for me at all. I would much rather turn on sports tonight and watch the 30 seconds of highlights, they are good to watch.

Come on Kev...

What would a Hockey person know about football? :D

BTW, your Gogecko people in Canberra are doing good in their radio promotions... right after the Subway sopts ;)

What would an Aussie Rules supporter know about football :D

Yep, Branko is on fire down there. He's selling everything he can get but they are selling so fast he's not getting a lot of exposure from the sale process. His new location at the shopping centre has been very good for him.

My youngest son is almost 13 and loves Subway so much he's determined to work there for his first job ;) I still haven't found anyone else but Boondall and Virginia with the chocolate cookies dunked in the white icing. They are the best cookies on the planet. I was at Aspley for the first time on Thursday night but none there either, so we had Cold Rock instead :D Have I mentioned how much I love Cold Rock......

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Hi Kev

While completely off topic (sorry Ahmad :( ) those choc dipped cookies are finicky, have a high failure rate, and are labour intensive. They probably work better at lower turnover shops, where the staff may have quiet times with not a lot to do. This would typically occur where two staff are required to keep the shop open for a minimum number of hours, where the customer activity for some of those hours is not enough to keep staff busy.

I did try them for a little while, but my turnover is higher, and my idle time is low (I check the security cameras regularly!) so it was not really worth while.

Besides, we like to promote our healthy products. Cookies are not healthy- and choc dipped ones even less so :(

But they are so damn good........;)

I'll go to the store just for the cookie. Actually Boondall and Virginia would be 2 of the busier shops I go to. Aspley was dead, I saw 3 people doing a whole lot of not very much at a time you'd think they'd be busy. Location isn't too flash I think.

And.....just like coke becomes healthy when you add Bundy Rum to it cookies are the same when you dip it in the icing. Surely anything that tastes that good can't be bad for you :D

In all seriousness, those stores with them are providing a point of difference even from their competing Subway stores and those cookies do always seem to go fast...... As I said, I always go to those stores because they have them.

How old do the kids have to be to start work.....14?

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

But they are so damn good........;)

I'll go to the store just for the cookie. Actually Boondall and Virginia would be 2 of the busier shops I go to. Aspley was dead, I saw 3 people doing a whole lot of not very much at a time you'd think they'd be busy. Location isn't too flash I think.

And.....just like coke becomes healthy when you add Bundy Rum to it cookies are the same when you dip it in the icing. Surely anything that tastes that good can't be bad for you :D

In all seriousness, those stores with them are providing a point of difference even from their competing Subway stores and those cookies do always seem to go fast...... As I said, I always go to those stores because they have them.

How old do the kids have to be to start work.....14?
I'm not sure how they do- but for me, they didn't work all that well. One of my problems was that staff ate too many of them :D

I do have a point of difference with the cookies- 40c per cookie with each six inches worth of sub.

In the ACT, 14 years and 9 months is normal- earlier with written permission from parents, though I've had an extremly high dropout rate from the younger employees.

How did we get here from bad umpiring? I personally didn't see anything wrong with the umpiring- though I am a Bombers supporter :D

Sorry to keep the topic here but thought I'd mention, my son Matt got his job at Maccas in December after turning 14 in November, and he's still there. His mate who began at the same time is there too :)

I didn't watch any of it but noticed Aker beat the lions, or so the media here would have us believe. I know Jamie Charman and some of the inside issues on the topic and read he got a good hit on Aker early in the game :D Have to hope its on the news tonight :eek:

Frankly, I'd rather watch the dismal process of England Vs West Indies in the 2cnd Test at Headingly and that is as enjoyable as having teeth pulled. Actually ABBA live at Wemberley even would be more exciting :D (Was on Max TV yesterday )

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

Kevin

The 14yos who do stay are excellent. They're probably the ones with excellent upbringing. Many of the younger ones have little idea of work ethic, responsibility, or providing fair value for fair pay. But the ones who do have that are worth keeping long term.

I have had to be patient with some who have taken a while to get to a position where they can contribute well.

I find it interesting the number of people who send in a resume with an email address like "[email protected]" and the like. They don't seem to realise that an address which goes down well with their friends might not be regarded in the best light by future employers :D

Back