Blacktown - Streets to avoid

I'm looking at Blacktown in Sydney's west and am wondering if anyone can shed some light on any streets that I should avoid and the reasons to avoid them.

Chris

sharpstone,

Are you looking to buy something to live in or somethings to use as an investment
and what type of property are you interested in?

cheers

I'm looking at Blacktown in Sydney's west and am wondering if anyone can shed some light on any streets that I should avoid and the reasons to avoid them.

All of them? :p

I'm sure some people have had success in Blacktown but there are quite a few areas there that really worry me too. Still, would be interesting to see some positive experiences.

I'd say find something walking distance to the station, you will always have tenants

Thanks, but thats the problem, whats walking distance, I live in Blacktown currently (parents) and I can drive to the station in 3 minutes but to walk it takes 25 minutes.

I always see walking distance written on RA ads but can't really measure it up??

Could you define walking distance (time, meters) and that will help me create a circle to focus on. (I know its different for all people but generally how long/far would someone want to walk to the station??

Cheers,
Chris

Could you define walking distance (time, meters) and that will help me create a circle to focus on.

I work on 800m total distance (not "as the crow flies"). That's the max I would use if you want the broader audience to be able to walk it twice a day every day with a bag, shopping, etc.

Thanks, but thats the problem, whats walking distance, I live in Blacktown currently (parents) and I can drive to the station in 3 minutes but to walk it takes 25 minutes.
Chris

Chris

That's probably the max distance because it's still walkable if you wanted to catch a train.

Also you should consider proximity to schools and/or shops

cheers

The 25 minute walk that I mentioed is a 1.7km walk. Thanks guys, I will use 800m as a guide thanks.

I think that absolute max of 1.5km to create a 1.5km circle to focus on, though mainly focus in on the 1km area.

With my budget I might not be able to get within 1km but maybe within 1.5km.

Thanks again.

Chris

Last edited:
I dont think I would buy a PPOR within 800m of Blacktown station, an IP maybe but not PPOR.

The area south of Bungarribee RD, in between Flushcombe Rd and Prospect Hwy. There are some nice(er) areas east of Prospect Hwy also but thats more west Toongabbie/South Seven Hills area. If your a local you'll know where I mean.

I owned a shop in Westpoint for the better part of 8 years, before they renovated it a couple of years ago, unfortunately my shop was right next door to Max's Liquor Barn, they did huge business on dole day.

I dont think I would buy a PPOR within 800m of Blacktown station, an IP maybe but not PPOR.

The area south of Bungarribee RD, in between Flushcombe Rd and Prospect Hwy. There are some nice(er) areas east of Prospect Hwy also but thats more west Toongabbie/South Seven Hills area. If your a local you'll know where I mean.

It would be a PPOR for 6 month, but an IP onwards.

I know the area you mean, its around 1-1.5km from station, so a bit further out, not as 'dole' like, if I you get what I mean :)

The 3 bedders around there are selling for around 295-315K, my budget is around 300K, so I might be in with a shot, I will be buying around April-May this year.

Chris

I know the area you mean, its around 1-1.5km from station, so a bit further out, not as 'dole' like, if I you get what I mean :)
Chris

Blacktown in general looks ok.
Are there any housing commision streets within Blacktown itself?
From what I know there is some housing commision in Doonside and what's the other suburb Lalor park?

Yes there is a substantial amount of housing commision in Doonside, I assume Lalor Park is similar as most put those suburbs in the same box. I'll see if I can find if there are any in Blacktown, so I can steer clear of them. I have contacted the council to ask if they know, so I should have a reply by tomorrow and maybe I will have some places to steer clear of, which will narrow it down a bit more. Thanks

Chris

Last edited:
I have acquired the map of Blacktown showing where housing commission houses are located. I think the file is too big to attach, now I have some 'hard' evidence of streets to avoid, excellent.

Chris

Attachments

• Housing Commision Blacktown.jpg
    Housing Commision Blacktown.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 5,681
Thanks Chris .. for sharing that, I will try and open as I'm looking at
buying in Blacktown or its surrounds in the $300 k bracket as well.

Just fyi my figures from API show that Blacktown has had an annual
percentage growth of 9.2% over the last 10 years as compared to
Doonside with 8.3%.

Cheers

I have acquired the map of Blacktown showing where housing commission houses are located. I think the file is too big to attach, now I have some 'hard' evidence of streets to avoid, excellent.

Chris

That's very handy! I didn't realise councils had info like that on maps to give out.

Back