BMT v deppro - recommendation?

Thanks all for your input. That is a LOT of good feedback for you Scott! I'm assuming I can get an online quote on your website? Also, is it standard for inspectors to do the inspection and the QS to prepare the report?
Cheers

Just call the office, Billie, and have a chat with someone. I'm around for the next few hours if you want to have a chat with me.

Also, is it standard for inspectors to do the inspection and the QS to prepare the report?

This has become the standard, sadly, but we're a bit old fashioned. I like the person who inspects the property to have the qualifications to cost up the building stuff and value the Assets. We find that often people have questions after they get the Schedule and it's good to be able to go back to the person who went to site and costed the job and ask them things like what estimate they put on the 07 kitchen reno, as distinct from the 07 bathroom reno. That sort of stuff.
Using those sort of people on the ground means we're not the cheapest provider out there, but I think it causes fewer headaches all round.

Hi all,

Chris from BMT here. I just thought I'd weigh in and say hi, though it seems Scott is a tough act to follow!

Obviously, like Scott confesses, I'm a bit biased but I do have some general points to make.

Firstly, there's a lot of discussion about fee and I think one thing remains constant: providers don't just pick a number out of the air when it comes to fee. As redwing said above, fee is but one factor. A lot goes on behind the scenes and it is important to think of the fee (along with the eventual schedule, of course!) as part of the investment you're making, and it can be a bit too easy to see it as merely a short-term cost. Make sure you ask: what does the fee get me?

INVSTOR made a comment above about another provider saying that their accountant should just work things out, and that's a prime example of what I'm talking about. Obviously there are some things that an accountant can work out for themselves, and we generally do mention that, but for someone to palm a client off to an accountant to work something out that really should be there be default is not premium service.

Solid experience and smooth service go a long way, so you have to think about the long term if things head south. Every company will give you a different result for a myriad of factors.

Chris

And don't forget the small guys where the receptionist, accounts department, inspectors and the actual report preparer are all experienced and qualified Quantity Surveyors ;)

I'm currently having a frustrating experience with BMT. I would not use them if you have developed rather than purchased a new property. The questions are template and completely orientated to existing properties. When going back to BMT they are hopeless in guiding me re the information needed when it's a new build. They've lost my business.
Hopefully I will have better luck with Depreciator or Deppro. Trying them next.

Bmt

I have never used depreciator so I cannot comment. I have used BMT and found them to be very good.

Depro generally do not have fully qualified quantity surveyors but have people fill out forms and send them to a central office. At least this is what they used to doo.

I'm currently having a frustrating experience with BMT. I would not use them if you have developed rather than purchased a new property. The questions are template and completely orientated to existing properties. When going back to BMT they are hopeless in guiding me re the information needed when it's a new build. They've lost my business.
Hopefully I will have better luck with Depreciator or Deppro. Trying them next.

Hello freogirl,

Sorry to hear that. It actually sounds like you may have received the wrong template because we do have one for properties where you've built rather than purchased.

If you would like to private message me your job reference number I'll get in there and fix things for you.

You will find they are all pretty much the same, however have some big price differences. At least with BMT, Deppro and Depreciator you are getting a Tax Depreciation Report which can be relied on. You should however ask who is actually completing the site survey a Inspector or Quantity Surveyor? This may help you decided!

Mark

Koste Tax Depreciation Quantity Surveyors

www.koste.com.au 1300 669 400

Back