Body Corp won't respond to my calls and emails

Hey guys.

As a lot owner in a complex that is managed by a body Corp. What rights do I have in obtaining simple information from them, for example when is the next lot owners meeting?

I find it difficult to pay the levies when they won't return my calls or emails.

Note; QLD based.

Wow, they won't return phone calls. That is a bad body corp. Can you speak to other unit holders in the complex and get details of the next meeting? Ask other owners of their experiences with body corp. If you're having these problems other owners would be too. Liaise and find another body corp. In the meantime, keep ringing or turn up at their offices.

Stop paying your body corp fees and you'll hear from them :)

Cheers

Jamie
I think Jamie is being sarcastic.
Its typical for most body corps not to return calls. Usually the strata manager is lazy as.
Call their office (not direct number) and ask to be put thru to them. If that fails, rock up to their office.... one of the reasons why i hate strata living.

Always pay your levies.

Advise the owner of the strata management company and all other owners including the Executive Committee members that you have been having difficulty is attaining a response for information (provide a list) and if none is given in the 7 days, you will contact the Department of Fair Trading to attain the response.

Normally works.

For Queensland, their details are located here:

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/about-us/contact-us/complaints-and-investigations

Strata agents can be notoriously slow and laborious as Nek pointed out.

As a lot owner in a complex that is managed by a body Corp. What rights do I have in obtaining simple information from them, for example when is the next lot owners meeting?

I find it difficult to pay the levies when they won't return my calls or emails.

Is this a self managed building? Are you contacting the right people? The BC is all of the owners, surely you're not calling each of the owners. Are you trying to contact the executive committee or one of them? Or are you contacting the strata manager?

Hi

If you want to speak to the body corp and they aren't returning phone calls or emails you need to change the reason for your enquiry or at least give them a reason to want to speak to you.

Tell them you have tried to pay your body corp fees but for some reason the payment is not going through. Can somebody please call me back to confirm that I have the correct payment details.

I guarantee they will get back to you same day and while you have their attention you can ask them about any other matter!:D

Best of luck and let me know how you go.

Regards,

alicudi

I agree, most will normally call or email you back after a couple of messages, bear in mind if they manage a lot of properties sometimes they may be busy.

Also I have found if you get involved go to meetings even get on the committee they are then usually a lot more responsive and helpful.

And try and be nice.

Thanks guys.

When i refer to the body corp I'm contacting the strata manager directly on their advertised business number and email.

I cannot approach other lot owners or the body corp directly as im overseas.

In the space of 6 weeks ive sent around 5 emails, called several times and left voice messages, all with no response. I can understand they can get busy, but 6 weeks and no response is not acceptable.

I will look into options with fair trading.

Hey Tone

Yeah that's rubbish. I've been in a similar situation before - very frustrating.

Do you have anyone local who can actually go in and see them?

Cheers

Jamie

Problem is;

The chairperson of the committee has it in for me and is likely standing in between the communication of myself and the body corp organization...? I'm not entirely sure how far a chairpersons rights stretch.

This is all new to me as a property owner... It just hurts not knowing what the hell is going on in the complex which i own a unit in.

Being overseas makes it more difficult.

In that case, it doesn't sound as though they are being lax; it sounds like they are avoiding you. I am not asking for details, but is there a history to this?

Back